Sign in to follow this  
Piecemeal

F-104 Refuel Probe AND Fuselage Pylons ...

I've downloaded both the F-104C and the Pakistani Air Force F-104A and I've just wondered if there's any third party F-104 models that have the fixed refueling probe AND the under fuselage pylons.

I thought I'd ask so as to save me the trouble of downloading all of the models to find out

Doesn't the F-104C-10?

Nope. I added the F-104C LOD files to the Pakistani F-104 - the refueling probe showed up no problem, but the two Sidewinders were underneath the fuselage hanging on air :no:

Paki Zippers didn't use them, as didn't the USAF due to abrasion of the seeker heads. OTH, the stock 3W G does, so go figure!

There's Dave's F-104C "superpak" that has the fues stations ... and about a 1000 megs of skins, along with the probe IIRC

either here or at C5s

wrench

kevin stein

Paki Zippers didn't use them, as didn't the USAF due to abrasion of the seeker heads. OTH, the stock 3W G does, so go figure!

There's Dave's F-104C "superpak" that has the fues stations ... and about a 1000 megs of skins, along with the probe IIRC

either here or at C5s

wrench

kevin stein

I'll check out Dave's work, Wrench. Thanks for the info

I think some of you misunderstood me, guys. I was just wondering if there was one of Ajundairs F-104 models that had provisions for both the refueling probe and the 'winder pylons incorporated in the LOD files. I wasn't really looking for historical accuracy, more something aesthetically pleasing to the eye, while maximising the possible armament load.

I wanted to create an ex-USAF F-104C for the Dhimar Merc squadron starting around 1968. The idea came to me from the Desert style camo on the Pakistani/ex-Jordanian F-104A from Ajundair.

Oh well, looks like I've got a choice; it's either the probe or the pylons .........

I think some of you misunderstood me, guys. I was just wondering if there was one of Ajundairs F-104 models that had provisions for both the refueling probe and the 'winder pylons incorporated in the LOD files. I wasn't really looking for historical accuracy, more something aesthetically pleasing to the eye, while maximising the possible armament load.

I wanted to create an ex-USAF F-104C for the Dhimar Merc squadron starting around 1968. The idea came to me from the Desert style camo on the Pakistani/ex-Jordanian F-104A from Ajundair.

Oh well, looks like I've got a choice; it's either the probe or the pylons .........

I have Wpnssgt's F-104C with both, though it's an old model (5-6 years old). Let me know if you want it.

I have Wpnssgt's F-104C with both, though it's an old model (5-6 years old). Let me know if you want it.

Bring it on, bud. I'd give anything a try once :good:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=1586

I think the fuse missiles rails were left on this one.

That was one of the first F-104C models I downloaded. No fuselage 'winder rails I'm afraid. Pity really. It's a great model

Its not a pity, its correct.

Dave is right,

The F-104C had a fuselage centerline station (all I ever remember seeing in photos was a practice bomb dispenser ever loaded here) but no fittings under the fwd fuselage for AIM-9s - this was an F-104G and later European/export version idea.

The F-104Cs which deployed from George to Southeast Asia stood alert with wingtip AIM-9s and flew limited strike/gnd suppt missions with wingtip tanks but no Sidewinders.

Mike

Dave is right,

The F-104C had a fuselage centerline station (all I ever remember seeing in photos was a practice bomb dispenser ever loaded here) but no fittings under the fwd fuselage for AIM-9s - this was an F-104G and later European/export version idea.

Mike

An interesting topic as some reference I have seen do allude to fuselage mounted AIM-9 launchers see below:

"The F-104C was designed mainly for delivery of tactical nuclear weapons, which it could carry on a centerline pylon attachment which had a 2000-pound capacity. It could carry the Mark 28 and Mark 43 nuclear weapons. Although some references claim that a 225 US gallon drop tank could be carried on this centerline pylon, it was exclusively a weapons pylon and was not plumbed to take fuel ports.

In October 1961, F-104Cs were subjected to Project Grindstone, a program in which the Lockheed factory modernized the fighter. Among the changes made was the addition of a catamaran-shaped device which enabled another pair of Sidewinder air-to-air missiles to be mounted underneath the fuselage. When this device was attached, the nuclear weapon could not be carried. The device was not popular in the field as it had an extremely high drag and the glass seeker heads of the Sidewinder missiles tended to get badly pitted by dust and debris kicked up by the nose wheel."

Lazboy

I think some of you misunderstood me, guys. I wasn't really looking for historical accuracy, more something aesthetically pleasing to the eye, while maximising the possible armament load.

An interesting topic as some reference I have seen do allude to fuselage mounted AIM-9 launchers see below:

"The F-104C was designed mainly for delivery of tactical nuclear weapons, which it could carry on a centerline pylon attachment which had a 2000-pound capacity. It could carry the Mark 28 and Mark 43 nuclear weapons. Although some references claim that a 225 US gallon drop tank could be carried on this centerline pylon, it was exclusively a weapons pylon and was not plumbed to take fuel ports.

In October 1961, F-104Cs were subjected to Project Grindstone, a program in which the Lockheed factory modernized the fighter. Among the changes made was the addition of a catamaran-shaped device which enabled another pair of Sidewinder air-to-air missiles to be mounted underneath the fuselage. When this device was attached, the nuclear weapon could not be carried. The device was not popular in the field as it had an extremely high drag and the glass seeker heads of the Sidewinder missiles tended to get badly pitted by dust and debris kicked up by the nose wheel."

Lazboy

This is not correct. The centerline station was plumbed to carry a fuel tank. In Squadron/Signal Starfighter in Action on side 3 there is a picture with no less than 4 F-104C's all carrying Center line tanks

This is not correct. The centerline station was plumbed to carry a fuel tank. In Squadron/Signal Starfighter in Action on side 3 there is a picture with no less than 4 F-104C's all carrying Center line tanks

I have the same picture and those are not tanks, those are 2000 lbs bombs being used as nuke shapes.

F-104C.jpg

I have the same picture and those are not tanks, those are 2000 lbs bombs being used as nuke shapes.

I stand corrected. Sorry I was certain they looked like fueltanks