Sign in to follow this  
RAF_blackadder

I Was There

Just to let you know, if you want any info on the way we fought against the Pucaras and A4's etc I was with 45 commando that landed at Ajax bay.

Very important is the RAF ground missile system RAPIER. This needs to be included. This system was fantastic. It is very small and mobile, towed by a Landrover or sometimes a snowcat and nearly always got its target.

Any Falklands sim that doesn't include ths G-A system needs to be reviewed.

Blowpipe was not effective.

The RN Harriers very always there when needed, and quite often came out of nowhere when the Argies thought they had a free ride. It was fun to watch.

I will always admire the courage the Argentinian pilots showed in what were really no chance odds. If the RN didn't get them from the ships, then they got them with the Harriers.

Just to let you know, if you want any info on the way we fought against the Pucaras and A4's etc I was with 45 commando that landed at Ajax bay.

We're glad to hear feedback from you veterans!

Very important is the RAF ground missile system RAPIER. This needs to be included. This system was fantastic. It is very small and mobile, towed by a Landrover or sometimes a snowcat and nearly always got its target.

Any Falklands sim that doesn't include ths G-A system needs to be reviewed.

Indeed the Rapier will be modelled. I've read many things about this system, one is that it was not effective in hilly terrain, like in Bluff Cove. Also I have some documentary video footage of the system working flawlessly and hiting an argentine Mirage Dagger jet while it was turning real hard at very, very low altitude. But this link has an article where vet Tony McNally says a few negative things about the system:

http://www.forgottensoldier.com/veterans_a...udpuncher1.html

Nice read, although never met the guy.

I understand their Rapiers were having 'clutter' problems when firing down into San Carlos water from the hilltops.

The Argies had to come in on the shipping in SCW low and fast to avoid the missiles. However, because of this, many of their bombs failed to explode as they had no time to 'arm' as you probably already know.

What the Artillery did after that, was wait until the enemy were on the way out and up, then they would fire with no clutter. It was then that Rapier came into its own.

The thing would go off the launcher, seemed to hesitate, then wooooosh, straight at the target, nearly every time a hit after the intial problems had been sorted.

I had to smile reading the bit about laying on his back firing into the air, as I can remember doing that myself. I was armed with the old 7.62 FN SLR. Hit by one round from that and anything was in danger. :) I was 23.

What do I remember of the war? Cold, wet and absolutely shattered at all times.

We didn't expect them to give in so fast after we saw how bravely their airforce flew.

I'm looking forward to the sim.

Please make sure you include ground troops as that had a major effect on the way the AAF attacked us.

Small arms, Blowpipe and Rapier.

They had Roland missiles at Stanley airport, made in Germany , destroyed by us. :)

Indeed, ground troops will be modelled as the ground war was mostly fought by groud troops, hill by hill. No armour fighting there, just man to man, old-fashioned fight. The ground war mostly based on infantry fight, makes this sim being very complex to do - yep, 2 Para, SAS, Royal Marines, Welsh Guards, argie conscripts - they will be modelled and it's their advance over the island's soil that will define the outcome of the war after the landings.

And they're very important to the flyers. And dangerous for them. A friend of the family of Ariel Cancio (staff member of the project) is a vet on argentine side, he was in the air force and flew the Pucará in the war, he was the one shoot-down by a Blowpipe missile released by a Royal Marine. He ejected, and sure has a lot of history to tell. :)

I was also there and served mostly aboard the Canberra as a member of the Royal Marines. Since i joined as a musician [ a bandy in RM speak] it came as a surprise to go off to a war. Amongst other things remember guarding several Argy pilots who came through Canberra's medical system as well as trying to bring them down with a GPMG from the side rail. Don't think i ever hit anything but the guys already ashore and digging in must have had a few scares!

I have a lot of flight sim experience and also quite a bit of music experience of all sorts [not just military] so would consider offering my services on the music/sound front.

Good luck with this project.

drummer