Sign in to follow this  
mikeymead

Contemplating getting OFF but worried about my system

Hi all, I've been thinking about getting OFF.BHaH but I'm not sure if my current system is quite up to the job.

Current spec:-

Windows XP SP3

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz HT (I'm pretty sure its got twin processors as Windows task manager shows 2 graphs for CPU Usage History)

2.5GB ram

ATI Radion X850 Pro 256mb GPU

Onboard sound.

The system is pretty old now but has been steadily upgraded through out its life but I have now come to an end with what I can do with it and to be honest I can't see me getting a new system this year.

It plays modded versions of FE, WOE and WOI on medium settings at any thing between 15-45fps depending on aircraft type and averages 25fps but does stutter badly when things get a bit busy!

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Mikeymead

It will play on what you have.

I have it on a similar sytem 2.9 celeron, 2gig ram, and 256 video card (radeon 9250 i think).

You wont be able to turn up your sliders much, (5-2-2-2-1) i think is what I am running.

And not necessarily a dual core. Windows reports a ht processor as 2 in both taksmanager, and in device manager

Don't get too worried about the sliders. If you are spending any amount of time looking at the scenery, you'll likely end up a part of it in short order. As long as you can put the planes to 3 or 4 and terrain to at least 2, preferably 3, you'll have a fine experience in OFF BHaH. If you HAVE to, you could even turn Scenery off completely for a big jump in performance. Sure higher settings are nice, but you didn't really join the air war over france just to look at the roofs of farm houses, did you? Didn't think so.

Order it up. Install patch 1.30 and prepare to swear at the bad guys. Don't be afriad to adjust some of the settings in the workshop to less than realistc when you first get it. Probably start with your TAC set to ON and set the range to 1 - 2 miles so you can see who's getting too close behind you and maybe even install the 1.30 Hardcore Damage Model. It means it takes more bullets to shoot down the Enemy Aircraft (EAs) but it also means you can take more damage as well. Theres a ton of options to make it just exactly the kind of experience you like, matched to your skill, but any way you set it, it's hell up there. Welcome to "the War to End all Wars".

Hellshade

lol..thats funny,,,i just dropped a bundle on a new computer so i COULD look at those pretty little housetops

Mikeymead. welcome S!

In effect i think you are running a dual AMD processor - and if you are there is a tweak you need to do to get the best out of it.

I can't point it out to you but I'm sure there are those of us who are running AMD who can point you to the ("optimzier" i think it's called )

Can someone who is using an AMD dual processor spell it out for Mikey, otherwise his FPS are not going to be too good.

cheers

In effect i think you are running a dual AMD processor - and if you are there is a tweak you need to do to get the best out of it.

I can't point it out to you but I'm sure there are those of us who are running AMD who can point you to the ("optimzier" i think it's called )

No, defiantly running an Intel Pentium 4 processor, I've looked into what the HT bit means and apparently

it was a system that let a single cpu act as a pair. I think? :dntknw:

Thanks for all the replies, I will probably order soon, any one know when the Easter offer runs out or is that a stupid question?

Mikeymead. welcome S!

Can someone who is using an AMD dual processor spell it out for Mikey, otherwise his FPS are not going to be too good.

cheers

If it is a AMD CPU then you can use AMD Overdrive at http://game.amd.com, but I see something like HT so I think its the Intel's Hyper Threating Technologie, so CPU must be an Intel.

Videocards looks to me the Botleneck here. Can try to overclock it, never did it on ATI, but to me, ATItool looks the best for these card. 

No, defiantly running an Intel Pentium 4 processor, I've looked into what the HT bit means and apparently

it was a system that let a single cpu act as a pair. I think? :dntknw:

Thanks for all the replies, I will probably order soon, any one know when the Easter offer runs out or is that a stupid question?

Sorry Mikey- re= read your post- How the hell I missed the Processor I don't know. =lol

Bloody old age and whisky don't mix- well, they do, but not if you want your brain to work afterwards :biggrin:

cheers

You've got hyper-threading which makes the system act like there's two cpu's which helps for multi tasking but doesn't help for OFF. It's setable in bios. I have used my P4 both ways and haven't seen much difference in OFF. I have a slightly more powerful system than yours and had no trouble with Phase 1 and Phase 2 but that was with an X1950 AGP. I went to an HD3850 and I can't run it acceptably. I'm lucky to get 6 fps. But I'm almost positive it's the vid card. I don't know what you'll get on an X850. It's definitley worth a try.