Sign in to follow this  
Vex

I'm Backing This One!

Outstanding! I watched the quick movie of the flight model/ grfx engine and its one of the best I've seen. I know that there is a long way to go and the performance will vary as more and more objects come into play, but the look and feel is great! the sense of speed is really there. Will be keeping my eye out for this one.

Vex

Outstanding! I watched the quick movie of the flight model/ grfx engine and its one of the best I've seen. I know that there is a long way to go and the performance will vary as more and more objects come into play, but the look and feel is great! the sense of speed is really there. Will be keeping my eye out for this one.

Thank for the positive input, Vex! :) About that video, I was flying the Harrier Gr.3 at less than 50 feet of the deck at full throttle - the speedometer is in our metrical system here and reads approx. 1000 kilometers per hour sometimes, which gives about 550 knots or Mach 0.85 - with a dive like I did there, a clean RAF Harrier Gr.3 can reach Mach 0.97 easily, not bad for a so-called slow jet. :)

The cockpit you see in the video is just a placeholder/generic virtual cockpit model to show the low altitude turbulence effect in the canopy struts at these speeds and heights, as soon as possible I'll record another video this time with a fully working cockpit (but probably of the A-4 Skyhawk, showing flight in this plane instead, because the Harrier cockpit is still 'on hold', waiting for a photo section to get details for the virtual cockpit modelling.)

Harrier performance in there was based on estimatives, I have the performance specs of the Harrier and I gave to Steve parameters like thrust, mass, etc. With a bit of fine tuning Steve was able to make the Harrier perform like that - a high-subsonic jet optimized for low altitude flight. But don't worry, performance will be much more accurate once we get hold of any first generation Harrier flight manual (AV-8A or Gr.1 are valid there, we're having trouble in getting the Sea Harrier FRS.1 manual, Steve contacted the Fleet Air Arm museum and they weren't able to help, atm).

I saw the pit from the back-story on the sim so I knew that it was the tmp but it didn't matter, the shake from the turbulance combined with the ground speed really sold it. I saw the harrier at the end and I notice your fly-bys are more cinematic then most ;) . There was a small camera roll at the end that was a nice touch.

The Harrier will probably be the star of the sim but I'm really looking forward for the A-4 and its variants. Ok, I just looked at the site again, I'll be looking forward to all of it! :)

Vex

so...what kind of timeframe is this game looking at - year or year(s) ?

Timeframe = as the historical period covered by the simulation: Well, 1982. :) But it features 70's and 80's air, sea and ground units so the simulation could be suitable for expansions with other similar scenarios in this timeframe(Bekaa Valley Air Battle, for example)

If your question is related to when Jet Thunder will be out, well, at the moment the campaign (a huge part of the game) is in the early planning stages, we have only the A-4B Skyhawk properly flying (of 6 flyables), a separated Harrier executable with a placeholder cockpit made just for testing the V/STOL flight dynamics, and a new terrain system being completed and awaiting to be integrated in the rest of the simulator. This upcoming year we'll be integrating and joining these parts together, and making sure everything works, so with luck we could be entering Beta by Christmas 2004, for a 2005 release.

Edited by Dante-JT

Sounds good - thanks for the update!

I look forward to learning more and hope for success.

Might I add - I hope multiplayer becomes the main focus of your game, I know 'dynamic campaign' is such a buzz word - but, would really like to see a game have a big online community with people flying 24/7 in droves, similiar to IL2.

Well, good luck!

Salute!

Might I add - I hope multiplayer becomes the main focus of your game, I know 'dynamic campaign' is such a buzz word - but, would really like to see a game have a big online community with people flying 24/7 in droves, similiar to IL2.

Yep, IL-2 is a multiplayer success. It's the only flight sim I play online at the moment. But I just got Lomac, it's great, but I'm still in the basics - learning how to fly the A-10, use its weapons, offline - so I ask, how is Lomac going online? Is it as promising for a multiplayer flight sim as IL-2 ?