Sign in to follow this  
Guest British_eh

Near death, but somehow spared

Guest British_eh

The DR1 took a number of hits, see another DR1 topic, and burst into flames. Two seconds later the game stops, and I'm back to the synopsis saying "Flight time 35 minutes, etc. No death, which of course there should have been. What happened?

Also the AI seem to float about now, especially if hit. Flak seems to make them spiral down, which looks terribly authentic, but in combat, haven't noticed it so much. Did a complete CFS3/ OFF reload, but still notice the AI, and OFF Manager nuances.

Regards,

British_eh

Using 1.28a but see there is a new DL

"and burst into flames."

It USUALLY ends when your craft is no longer flyable OR you are dead. Who knows maybe you crashed and survived. Just restart and fly another pilot?

If you fly 100's of missions and occasionally something happens that you can't explain it does not mean it's a bug. Even if it was, it would be practically impossible to reproduce it to work out how to fix it.

CFS3 itself will do the odd thing, as any computer program in the world would just restart and carry on?

No idea on the float thing sorry but 1.30 fixed low level AI issues for some craft.

What is your outcome set to? If it's "Dead is dead" he probably wouldn't have. However, if you have it set to "Roll of the Die" that would explain it. that setting is terribly capricious. Storied abound of surviving crashing uncontrolled from great heughts and I've personally experinced taking no damage during a flight and landing as soft as a feather only to be told "Sadly your pilot died". I recommend going with "Dead is dead" and relying on skill to survive.

I am flying on Dead is Dead outcome and somehow survived a fiery crash into a line of trees from a little over 200 feet up. Seemed too hard a hit to live through myself, but it kind of adds a little to the game if there is once in a great while a miracle that spares a life. I'm sure it happened in the real war. Not that I have any intention of getting shot down again, but I'm sure at some point in the future it will happen and if I survive again, or perhaps a 3rd time in a row, it might be worth taking a look at. Regardless, I will continue to fly as if getting shot down and doing anything other than a controlled landing will result in my untimely death.

In the meantime, I am just going to keep enjoying the hell out of this sim. The low level AI fix in the last patch has really turned Over Flanders Fields - BHaH into a combat flight sim beyond my wildest expectations. The white knuckle flying is addicting! I keep telling myself I'm going to go back and start a new character in Oblivion but I just can't bring myself to do it. I always end up grabbing the joystick and firing up my trust SE5a to help turn the tide of the war back to the Allies.

Naw, British and von Baur;

it's just a lucky outcome - happens rather rarely; so enjoy!

See Hellshade's thread about the same lucky event - and what I wrote about it.

I regard it as one of these moments, when your guardian angel held a hand over you.

Your crash looked terrible - but nothing much happened to you.

In car accidents, that happens a lot.

Yeah it does happen a lot, especially to the drunk drivers.

CJ

Relax Brit_eh. Enjoy it. Don't over-analyse everything. Shiit happens sometimes. Move onto version 1.30. It's a winner !