Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

I'm getting a few too many "miracles" - Devs

I realize that there is always a tiny chance of survival even when playing on "Dead is Dead" outcome. However a previous "should have been fatal" crash, plus one I just survived tonight is telling me that perhaps since 1.30, DID outcome isn't working properly anymore. In a duel against a pair of Fokker DVIIs just SE of Ypres on a routine patrol behind our lines, I shot one down. In pursuit of the other, suddenly my top wing ripped off during a dive (no creaking sound aka excessive g-force warning at all) and no gunfire either. Regardless, I was 6,400 feet up without the top wing to my SE5a and headed earthward and a high rate of speed. I was actually able to manuever a little bit and for a moment thought I might somehow be able to bring it in for a crash landing in a field somewhere. Then it all went blank and changed to the claims form. My pilot did NOT die or even get injured. I think somethings skipping the DID check somewhere after exiting the in flight combat mode.

Just an FYI to the Devs. If anyone else is being saved by "the hand of God" a bit too often in DiD outcome mode, post it here please. Lets see if we really do have a bug.

and can I just say, one more time, damn the new AI freakin rocks! This is the most intense game ever against AI opponents. Outstanding work, OBD.

Hellshade

Haven't noticed any problem here. My deads are almost always dead. You're probably just seeing a string of good luck.

I realize that there is always a tiny chance of survival even when playing on "Dead is Dead" outcome. However a previous "should have been fatal" crash, plus one I just survived tonight is telling me that perhaps since 1.30, DID outcome isn't working properly anymore. In a duel against a pair of Fokker DVIIs just SE of Ypres on a routine patrol behind our lines, I shot one down. In pursuit of the other, suddenly my top wing ripped off during a dive (no creaking sound aka excessive g-force warning at all) and no gunfire either. Regardless, I was 6,400 feet up without the top wing to my SE5a and headed earthward and a high rate of speed. I was actually able to manuever a little bit and for a moment thought I might somehow be able to bring it in for a crash landing in a field somewhere. Then it all went blank and changed to the claims form. My pilot did NOT die or even get injured. I think somethings skipping the DID check somewhere after exiting the in flight combat mode.

Just an FYI to the Devs. If anyone else is being saved by "the hand of God" a bit too often in DiD outcome mode, post it here please. Lets see if we really do have a bug.

and can I just say, one more time, damn the new AI freakin rocks! This is the most intense game ever against AI opponents. Outstanding work, OBD.

Hellshade

To me, it's always happned now and then since the first time I got OFF in January.

Maybe you have just had a run of luck with it .

I have seen that there are also times that your going 5MPH on the ground and loop the plane and die...so it goes both ways. I think Povloski once said it's a role playing roll. You have been real lucky is my guess....just a guess.

Actually, I had two crashes tonight that I fully expected to be fatal but weren't. No hospital either. Of course, I had another that was (bad night!).

Anyway, three crashes tonight with two different pilots (I just can't get used to the flimsy lower wings on these darn Nieuports!....great work on the DM and FM on these, devs!....they sure can't dive with impunity like they used to be able to!) and I survived two of them. Could be something funny going on.

But, MAN, I love this sim. I've been unable to play most of this last week, but got a few missions in over the weekend and a few more tonight. Scoping out the new patch. The great thing is that ALL those missions were absolutely unique. The AI were different in each one. Sometimes fierce, sometimes lazier, different tactics, different skills, different outcomes. As I've said, I've been away from sims for some time, but I've never seen AI this good anywhere. I keep thinking these guys are real. With the low level foolishness fixed, there's really nothing they do that reminds me they are code.

Actually, I had two crashes tonight that I fully expected to be fatal but weren't. No hospital either. Of course, I had another that was (bad night!).

Anyway, three crashes tonight with two different pilots (I just can't get used to the flimsy lower wings on these darn Nieuports!....great work on the DM and FM on these, devs!....they sure can't dive with impunity like they used to be able to!) and I survived two of them. Could be something funny going on.

But, MAN, I love this sim. I've been unable to play most of this last week, but got a few missions in over the weekend and a few more tonight. Scoping out the new patch. The great thing is that ALL those missions were absolutely unique. The AI were different in each one. Sometimes fierce, sometimes lazier, different tactics, different skills, different outcomes. As I've said, I've been away from sims for some time, but I've never seen AI this good anywhere. I keep thinking these guys are real. With the low level foolishness fixed, there's really nothing they do that reminds me they are code.

I couldn't agree more about the quality of the AI. With the low level fixed, I feel completely immersed all the time. As I said once before, I'm not a great VR pilot, so I'm not suprised that I find myself viciously fighting for my life. What blows me away is that looking out into the sky filled with planes and watching them fight, it's the first time I ever felt like THEY were desperately fighting for their lives too! They fly with the skill, determination and desperation of men fearing for their lives. It's the ghosts of Jastas out there again, and they fight and fly like there still is a war going on.

I keep telling myself I'm going to restart Oblivion again, or maybe log on to Lord of the Rings Online and level my Warden. Nope!!! Can't resist grabbing the joystick and becoming one of the flyboys!!! Even when I die, I never feel "cheated". It's not some 1,000 yard cheap snipe shot from the AI that kills me (unless it's flak...those damn AA guns!!). It's a jasta pilot who skillfully or by chance found himself in the right range and position to fill my plane full of holes. Usually it's two or more working in teams to trap me into following one so the other can get into position behind me! I have to watch me 6 all the time. It's awesome. No game is ever technically perfect. Especially one that's a total conversion of a 7 year old game engine. But OFF is perfect fun. No matter how casual arcade or hardcore realistic I want it...no matter if it's quick combat or an extended campaign, BHaH lets me enjoy it however I feel like playing it at that moment. If that isn't pure gaming goodness, what is?

Hellshade

Yeah, you must have had some good die rolls there. Luck is smiling on your pilot, enjoy it while it lasts!! I've had this happen only once. My Pfalz got shot up bad and I was nose diving as fast as possible towards earth to try and land before the flames pouring out of the nose of the AC reached me and started to hurt my pilot. Within about 1000 feet of the ground, all went black and resolved to the campaign room, and claims board. I guess they said, "its ok, you crash landed safely and survived." This run of luck didn't last long though, this same pilot was killed by HIS OWN FLAK CREWS about two missions later. Like I said.....enjoy it while it lasts. :ok:

ZZ.

Like Mk2 says, sometimes you live when you feel like you should have died, sometimes you die when you feel like you shoulda lived. Like you said, you had some control, so it's plausible that you brought it down in one piece but the experience was so traumatic that you blocked it out of conscious memory! One thing that I have noticed is that I never go to the hospital since 1.28 or so. I either die flat out or live flat out. So I always feel free to "put" myself in the hospital via manual time advance for a week or so if it seems appropriate. While this is absolutely the best flight sim I have ever owned, I certainly don't mind helping out to role play a little better!

RR

I have not been graced with miraculous escapes [i fly QC only, so far] but in the 48 hours after installing the 1.28 patch, I garnered four [count 'em: four!] Distinguished Flying Crosses and a VC. Now, I'm one helluva guy, not a bad shot, and getting better...but I did think that was excessive.