Sign in to follow this  
MK2

SE5a a dream to fly in campaign (pics included)

Well it is the first time I try the SE5a and I find it an extremely stable gun platform and very nimble airplane, forward visibility is also great , rear visibility not as good.

I had a spectacular debut with my new unit the 56th in August 1917 (I stepped out of DiD to take pics ...I had to!). I just became a BIG fan of this airplane!

enjoy the pics:

SE5a_05.jpg

SE5a_01.jpg

SE5a_02.jpg

SE5a_03.jpg

SE5a_04.jpg

August_10th_claims.jpg

Poor visibility unless you get to fly the Viper version of the SE5a, which had a much better view behind and didn't have the targeting cone up front either. Other than that, I believe the planes are technically identical. I believe thebirtish RFC-92 squadron flies them. Try one out there or in QC mode and see the difference. It's my favorite plane, followed closesly by the Fokker DVII for the bosche.

Hellshade

Poor visibility unless you get to fly the Viper version of the SE5a, which had a much better view behind and didn't have the targeting cone up front either. Other than that, I believe the planes are technically identical. I believe thebirtish RFC-92 squadron flies them. Try one out there or in QC mode and see the difference. It's my favorite plane, followed closesly by the Fokker DVII for the bosche.

Hellshade

Looking forward it has great visibility compared to the SPAD but as I mentioned backwards not so good. This is mitigated by the plane being ridicoulously stable while firing.

MK2, I'm glad you are enjoying the SE5. Besides the improveved visibility I think the Viper has an engine replacement and therefore perhaps more horsepower. Isn't it something that you have flown this sim fo close to 4 months and are just now giving the SE5 a proper go? I know I fly alot and there are many planes I have not touched as of yet. I have a great deal to look forward to. Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

MK2, I'm glad you are enjoying the SE5. Besides the improveved visibility I think the Viper has an engine replacement and therefore perhaps more horsepower. Isn't it something that you have flown this sim fo close to 4 months and are just now giving the SE5 a proper go? I know I fly alot and there are many planes I have not touched as of yet. I have a great deal to look forward to. Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

What a great point...I did not even think of that....I have flown the : Spad XIII , Fokker DR1 , Fokker DVII and now the SE5a in campaign ....that's it...in 4 months....wow

Yes, there is so much to do! I have by now flown all Albatros versions, except the D Va 200, in campaign.

In addition, I have now started one Halberstadt and one Fokker Dr.1 campaigns.

Then there would be still the D VII and D VII F to fly, before I could even say, I'm through with the Germans.

So, then the whole wide field of Allied planes was yet to come!

I just became a BIG fan of this airplane!

What took you so long MK2 lol ?

Great screen shots!

Yes, it's the best Allied single-seat fighter in the sim!

The DVII with the big engine is the only Hun fighter that gives me trouble in an SE5a.

ttt

Great screen shots!

Yes, it's the best Allied single-seat fighter in the sim!

Amen! to that. And the SE-5? When I started OFF, it was the only plane I could keep in the air.

The Shuttleworth SE5a, is a real one, not a replica. It was restored (again) last year and is flyable.

http://www.pbase.com/stevieb/image/43384641

http://www.eaa.org.za/articles/se5a-pilot-report

Notice he puts the elevator trim (the SE had trim tabs) fully nose up before landing.

It IS a dream to fly, MK2. Just wish I could fly a real one.

ttt

Edited by tttiger

Hellshade

Targeting cone? Do you mean the aldis sight?

Hey, Mk2, coming off the SPAD, it is a twisty little bird! If you want to go more manueverable, slip into one of the Nieuport series. Just don't expect to survive many hits! The SE5a hits the magical midpoint of speed, manueverability and strength. It would have been awesome if my wingman hadn't dove through my 20 mission pilot... :haha:

RR

Hey MK2,

That makes us squad mates. I just started a campaign with the 56th playing 120% reality (I am cheating with the tac display). I started while they were still in England. I got bored with flying routine patrols, since there were no zeps or gothas to tangle with, and used the skip ahead feature. I've just made the transfer flight over the channel, and will probably see my first combat tomorrow.

Best of luck,

Velvet

Tttiger: The DVII with the big engine is the only Hun fighter that gives me trouble in an SE5a.

Well, you don't fly in the Somme bend region. You might meet a flight of four or five Albatros DVa, nightblue,

with stars, a crescent, and a wolve's head painted on them. Whenever that pack comes across S.E.5a, they

eat them (Lol!). Mostly though, we encounter SPAD XIII, or Nieuports.

But seriously now: the S.E.5a, flown by a skilled ace with good wingmen, would get me to sweat in a D Va.

Also in a Dr.1, as I could only turn about and hope, that on one of your zooms, I could plaster you.

But against skilled D VII pilots, even aces would find it very hard to survive. She's a killer warthog.

Edited by Olham

Tttiger: The DVII with the big engine is the only Hun fighter that gives me trouble in an SE5a.

Well, you don't fly in the Somme bend region. You might meet a flight of four or five Albatros DVa, nightblue,

with stars, a crescent, and a wolve's head painted on them. Whenever that pack comes across S.E.5a, they

eat them (Lol!). Mostly though, we encounter SPAD XIII, or Nieuports.

But seriously now: the S.E.5a, flown by a skilled ace with good wingmen, would get me to sweat in a D Va.

Also in a Dr.1, as I could only turn about and hope, that on one of your zooms, I could plaster you.

But against skilled D VII pilots, even aces would find it very hard to survive. She's a killer warthog.

LOL, pity there's no real on line way to fly and find out

:minigun:

There is no question the DVII is the best in the game. That's was true in real life as well.

I can only tell you that in QC (which I don't think counts for much because the AI are much better in Campaigns) I fly head-to-head against AI aces and I've NEVER lost in an SE5a and that includes the early DVIIs.

I fly DVIIFs to a draw, however. We just end up going round and round in circles. They can't beat me and I can't beat them.

Personally (and very subjectively) I think the DVa is over-modeled. It shouldn't be able to dive as well as it does without snapping a lower wing. But even with that edge, I have no problem killing them in any late war British fighter unless they have me hopelessly outnumbered.

But, again, all we can do is fight the AI, which, one-on-one isn't much of a challenge. I started flying human opponents WWI MMP in Dawn of Aces well over a decade ago and quit flying dog fight arenas in IL-2 many years ago. Too many jerks. Air Quake.

But it's a shame there isn't even an opportunity to duel each other here.

:aggressive:

S!

ttt

Edited by tttiger

LOL, pity there's no real on line way to fly and find out.

Well, there might be in future. When I finally have the money together to update my rig,

I could join Multiplayer games. But I assume you're a very good fighter pilot, and so I'm

not sure, if I want to be the fox for your hunt (Lol!) Must definitely improve my tactics.

I can only tell you that in QC (which I don't think counts for much because the AI are much better in Campaigns)

I fly head-to-head against AI aces and I've NEVER lost in an SE5a.

Well, same for me, with my Albatros versions. But as you say - QC doesn't count. You know before, what type and

how many you'll encounter, and that they will appear right now etc. I admire much more cold blooded campaign

pilots (as I think you are), who care about the tactic rules, situational awareness, and advantage/disadvantage etc.

And then even may break off and zoom back home, when it's useless.

Personally (and very subjectively) I think the DVa is over-modeled.

It shouldn't be able to dive as well as it does without snapping a lower wing.

I have lost my lower wings now three or four times; and in a QC testflight earlier on today, it was close to another

accident of that kind. I don't know, how easy or often that would have occured, and how realistic the model is.

But I'm getting quite some disadvantage from the way it is. SPADs regularly dive away like hell. I can only keep cool,

and say to myself: we'll meet again on the deck - for your slaughter!

But, again, all we can do is fight the AI, which, one-on-one isn't much of a challenge.

How do you mean? You know, you can choose more than one opponenet or wingmate, surely, in QC ?

Edit/PS: SittingDuck regularly does Multiplayer session in the net. They even have a Jasta and a Squadron; you

can enter one of them, and as far as I know, that works pretty good. Isn't there an MP announced right now?

Think, I saw a thread. They'd surely welcome you!

Edited by Olham