Sign in to follow this  
Diabolico

Mercenary of the Seas is out

mofsmpbookcover2b.jpg

My dear friends:

Just a few quick words to let you know that a very dear project of mine has become reality.

I have published a book. Here's the synopsis:

"In 2007, the retired French aircraft carrier “Clemenceau” was purchased by a UK company, allegedly for scrap.

Yet the true was other, as the Clemenceau was indeed bought by the Private Military Company “Sanders International” and christened “Privateer”.

The Privateer was to become the first private aircraft carrier in the world. It underwent a major refit and through a series of “intermediates”, the ship was restored to “fighting status”.

With the outgrowth of armed conflicts in the world proportional to the disengagement of the rich countries; the UN had no choice but to revise their 1989 UN Mercenary Convention, banning the use of mercenaries.

In an unprecedented move that may have opened the door to the regular use of PMCs, the UN Security Council mandate Sanders International to intervene in Somalia; on the war against piracy.

Yet getting there was already an adventure by itself and as the plot evolves, Mike Sanders will find himself trapped in a CIA plot to destroy the European Union."

Some of the scenarios inside were "tested with TK's Wings Over Series" (mostly mixed WOV/WOE and SFP1 for the desert terrain).

I personally think that like for the PC flight simulation games sector, there aren't many books coming out recently. Well, good or bad, here's my "stone" for that building. Up to you to judge...

For the moment it is only available on the publisher's website. It will become available in the next months on websites such as http://www.amazon.com and on bookstores such as Barnes and Noble. It should hit the bookshelves in less than eight weeks from now.

Here's the link to the publisher's website for this book: http://www.lulu.com/commerce/index.php?fBuyContent=6730388

It has lots of aircraft and fast paced action. I've really enjoyed writing it and that's why you haven't heard much from me during this last year.

If you're considering buying a book, please consider this one.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to hearing from you soon,

Mario Paz

After two weeks with no advertising, there are 70 copies sold on the publisher's website.

The book has been updated and it's now 662 pages big, instead of the original 411 pages.

Apparently the download version (which seels for slightly ove rthan 5 euros...) can only be obtained if this link : http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book...he-seas/6730388 is opened with Internet Explorer only.

I use "opera" and the "buy download version of the book" option is not available.

Other, the book will reach the bookshelves around the world in 6 to 8 weeks from now.

Thanks again to TK for letting me advertise here.

I have received very postive feedback from some of you and thanks for it!

I'd like you to know that I appreciate it - especially for those who readed the whole 662 pages in three days and less, not being able to quit their reading! Thank you! That's the best that I could ever hope for - pleasing my readers!

For those of you who have gently "harassed me", asking for the sequel of Mercenary of the Seas I can tell you that it's on the skunkworks!

Finnaly, for those of you wishing to get a printed copy, this page is proposing a copy of Mercenary of the Seas for 26.10 euros, instead of 34.03 euros - which is a substantial reduction!

Here's the link: https://www.lulu.com/commerce/index.php?fBuyContent=6730388

I think we are approaching the 90 copies or so and the book hasn't reached the "usual" distribution channels yet.

Thanks again to Combatace for giving me this "space" to promote my book.

Guys, it has been hard to wait for a month, almost two but now it's done.

My book has finally reached the Amazon and a few other distribution channels.

Only God knows where this will lead now...

Here's what happens if you do a google search for my book:

amazon.jpg

Yes, it can be found on all Amazon websites:

US: http://www.amazon.com/Mercenary-Seas-Mario...3917&sr=8-1

UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercenary-Seas-Mar...3726&sr=8-1

FR: http://www.amazon.fr/Mercenary-Seas-Mario-...4132&sr=8-2

Thanks again to combatace for giving me "space" to talk about my project.

Now wish me luck guys!!!

congrats on the book, I know first hand how it feels to see your work on places like Amazon, or B&N, Lulu is a great place also if they only had more advertising. well done. If you do a search you should be amazed at the number of different places you can find your book.

Thanks diabolico.

I understand you are italian. Is the book written in italian and translated? Is it available in italian?

Will it reach eventually italian bookshops? I want an hard copy of this.

Hello Dagger!

Are you "Dagger_369th" with whom I've flown like ten years ago or so on the 369th with FA?!?

Thanks for your support! It really means a lot to me!

Yes, more advertising is a must and the "published on demand" system makes the book's price a bit steep - even for a 664-page book.

Yet most of the "usual" publishers don't have the time or just don't bother reading a newbie author's work.

I retain all rights for mercenary of the seas and if you know a better publisher, pleas elet me know. I'd like to cut the book's price down to $ 25 or $ 26 but that is impossible with the current publisher for such a big book.

There is also the download version which is selling only for 5 euros but available on the publisher's website only : http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book...he-seas/6730388 (need to view it with Internet Explorer).

Thanks again for your words - they are the sort of thing that is driving me forward to write the enxt one!

Mario Paz

Hello Canadair,

Thank you very much for your interest in my book.

"Mercenary of the Seas" is written in English. If the book sells real well (several thousand copies....), then there will be other versions - including in Italian.

As for the moemnt I have only sold almost 100 copies, there are no plans to make any translations in the immediate future.

I guess that you live in Italy, right?

I don't think that there is an Italian Amazon website, so your best move would be to buy it from the French Amazon website, as shipping should be cheaper.

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.fr/Mercenary-Seas-Mario-...5901&sr=8-1

Thanks again and I wish you a good reading.

If you buy it, please let me know what you think of it by posting here or sending me a private message!

Hope to hear from you soon,

Mario Paz

Hi guys, just to let you know that the sequel to my first published book "Mercenary of the Seas" has just passed its 100th page.

A small "milestone" for a story that's just seeing its begining.

eom100th.jpg

The new book will be titled "The Emperor of Madeira" and it'll be mostly a Sea Harrier adventure.

Lots of the characters from the first book will be there.

I have no idea when it'll be completed and still less when published.

Mercenary of the Seas is now on its 4th edition, even if sales are "discrete".

Thanks to Combatace for supporting "fledgling authors" like myself and to all of the people who purchased my book, thus supporting me.

A big salute to you all!

Being a writer is not a path to getting rich quick, that's for certain.

Unless you're writing about a young boy wizard, in which case you'll hit your first billion in a couple of years! :wink:

Being a writer is not a path to getting rich quick, that's for certain.

Unless you're writing about a young boy wizard, in which case you'll hit your first billion in a couple of years! :wink:

You're absolutely right. The proof is that I have succeed renegotiating the book's price and it has lost like 13 euros/18 USD dollars - so did my earning per book, going down from 3.18 euros to 2 euros.

The book has now gone "hardcover" while keeping the same cover.

The price has been dramatically reduced from 33 euros to less than 21 euros!

new_mofts_bookprice.jpg

We are now in the usual price ranges for a book of this size (663 pages).

For the moment it's only available on the publisher's (LULU's website) at this link: http://www.lulu.com/commerce/index.php?fBu...Content=7444874

It will find its way to the usual "Amazon", Barnes and Noble, as well as many other distribution channels in the following months. I'll keep you posted!

I've made a big sacrifice on my earnings, going down from 3.18 euros to 2.00 euros net per book copy sold - which is really not much, considering the book's overall price.

Same goes for the downloadable version which is now selling for 1.5 euros (I get 1 euro per PDF sold...).

It's painful, considering all the work, time and personal investment in this project. Yet this was the "only way" to make this book accessible to more people, with a "de facto" price reduction of 12 euros (18 US dollars).

Thanks you very much to all of you who have supported me by buying this book and to combatace for given me space to promote it here!

Following negotiations with the Amazon group, the book is liable to lock on a very low price.

It should shortly sell for $ 17.69 USD - which is a very "fair price" for a 663-page geopolitical thriller.

You can personally follow these negotiations here: https://www.createspace.com/Customer/EStore.do?id=3395475

Here's the pic of the current status: mofts_newprice.jpg

"CreateSpace" is an affiliate service of Amazon and should this go forward, the book will see a "second life" at a correct "market price".

Thanks again to combatace for supporting "fledgling" authors like myself and I wish you "good reading"! :ok:

17 dollars, that's a way closer to my pocket...i'll get asap.

:hi:

Yeah but for nearly 7 bucks for a download? Already purchased....

Yeah but for nearly 7 bucks for a download? Already purchased....

Yeah! :dntknw: I'm trying to fix that!

Otherwise the paperback version now sells for definately less on Amazon, after a new deal with them: https://www.createspace.com/Customer/EStore.do?id=3395475

I don't know if they offer the pdf version for sale there, though... :dntknw:

But the book now has a "below the market" price for a 664-page paperback! :ok:

A most interesting real-life thread. I don't plan on writing a novel but the economics issue is very alarming. A huge amount of work [600+pages] and you collect a small percentage. Controlling the rights is probably a big issue. I suspect start-up bands and new music are having similar problems. I hope you can keep us updated. Best Wishes and Cheers. :drinks:

Thank you very much for your support. Your words are very "heart-warming"! :drinks:

Thanks to Sony Tuckson, a French version may soon see the day. He offered to help me by translating the book from English to French free of charge.

This generosity could not pass unnoticed or "unsung".

Thank you Sony for helping me making this book available to the French Speaking persons.

Thank you very much for your benevolence and help.

Like the flightsim genre, the "geopolitical thriller" is a "dying genre" and anything we can do "to offer people what they like to read" - this regardless of any economical interests - is avery good thing.

Otherwise, here's a preview of the cover for my next book - "Emperor of Madeira" - the sequel and second book of the "Mercenary of the Seas" saga of my authoring.

coverconcept1.jpg

What do you think of all this? ;-)

Although it's written in English, interest in my work and myself has "sparkled" on the national press.

I have been interviewed by one of the local reporters of Ouest France - the third most read newspaper in the country.

Of course, this is not "the first page" but it's very encouraging to have the press get interested on my work - especially considering that it is a "disappearing genre" - just like the flight sims.

I think I'll be on the news on tuesday. For those not living in France, the article will also be available (in French) on their website: Ouest France

I will keep you posted. :heat:

Edited by Diabolico

What? Portugal cannot afford to loose Madeira, what about the National Footbal (Soccer) Team without Christiano?

What? Portugal cannot afford to loose Madeira, what about the National Footbal (Soccer) Team without Christiano?

the portuguese dudes would become very pissed, take my island , but don't take my team!

Edited by Silverbolt

That's exactly why you should read the book, once it comes out (perhaps near or after this christmas!). :grin:

I can guarantee you that no Ronaldos have been hurt during the making of this book... :rofl:

Believe me, there is nothing more important for the Madeirenses than their island! Although they'd probably hire mercenaries to rescue Ronaldo if he was "held against his will" on continental Portugal. :lol: