Sign in to follow this  
Dej

Pass me a reality pill, please

It's been overcast and grey in my bit of the South of England today, with dark cumulus clouds being the only respite from the leaden monotony... not at all dissimilar to the skies over Flanders most of the time, in our favourite game.

So I'm on a shopping trip with the wife going to Hedge End, a big shopping complex just outside Southampton. One of the DIY stores there is flying one of these advertising blimps you sometimes see, only bigger than usual.

My brain is immediately into OFF-mode, scanning the sky around it for Huns and wondering why there isn't a TAC on my car's dash. Thus pre-occupied I sail past the slip road for the junction.

Wife: "What are you doing? You've missed the turning?"

Me: "I thought I'd attack it from the East... try and catch the archie napping... ermm." (embarassed silence)

Wife: "Twat!"

I'll be a while living that one down. :blush2:

Thanks for the good laff Dej. I've been there and done that too, haha.

:rofl:

How many times I've been given the proverbial slap, walking through some beautiful bit of countryside and musing out loud on the suitability of the terrain for tanks, infantry, you name it.

"We're here for a PICNIC!!!" :haha:

Edited by Siggi

If your a flight sim enthusiast..who hasn't done that!?

Royce

Edited by cptroyce

Dei,

When I first met SWMBO, and thought of dating her, one of our first dates was to go stomping on a battlefield, I wanted to see what she was made of. :good: She passed with flying colors! So, for the past 24 years, she's been used to this kind of thing, only now she has to put up with it from me and our son!

Warren

It's been overcast and grey in my bit of the South of England today, with dark cumulus clouds being the only respite from the leaden monotony... not at all dissimilar to the skies over Flanders most of the time, in our favourite game.

So I'm on a shopping trip with the wife going to Hedge End, a big shopping complex just outside Southampton. One of the DIY stores there is flying one of these advertising blimps you sometimes see, only bigger than usual.

My brain is immediately into OFF-mode, scanning the sky around it for Huns and wondering why there isn't a TAC on my car's dash. Thus pre-occupied I sail past the slip road for the junction.

Wife: "What are you doing? You've missed the turning?"

Me: "I thought I'd attack it from the East... try and catch the archie napping... ermm." (embarassed silence)

Wife: "Twat!"

I'll be a while living that one down. :blush2:

For me the funniest part is your wife saying "Twat", which is quite a bit further up the name calling list in the states than it is in England, apparently!

RR

Couldn't fly today, because of social duties - cooking with friends.

I made two or three attempts to tell them of this great sim, but they gave me a pityful smile.

Obviously, they didn't even know, that an Albatros was a FIGHTER PLANE!

When we went to do the shopping, a Cessna crossed the sky above Berlin-Steglitz.

Before I saw it, I imagined it to be a Halberstadt or an Albatros, in my phantasy.

Looking up, I wished I could be in my cockpit, trying to grow my kill tally.

Reality - sometimes sucks!

For me the funniest part is your wife saying "Twat", which is quite a bit further up the name calling list in the states than it is in England, apparently!

RR

Maybe... maybe not :biggrin:

Two hundred quid's worth of retail therapy probably dilutes it a little. :rolleyes:

Hey Dej,

Have you been to the Shopping Centre at Farnborough? There is a full-size SE5A replica hanging from the ceiling...

Bletchley :)

Hey Dej,

Have you been to the Shopping Centre at Farnborough? There is a full-size SE5A replica hanging from the ceiling...

Betcha he goes!! His Mrs will think he's really gone bonkers -

Him, at breakfast one morning, " Fancy a trip to do some shopping at the big centre at Farnborough, Dear?"

Her- "You all right?"

Betcha

Good stuff!

I think everybody who plays and loves simulators has these moments every now and then. I know I do... I guess you shouldn't be worried until you start seeing hex grids and calculating move points everywhere. :biggrin:

Hey Dej,

My work used to be based in Farnborough so I've seen that SE5 many a time. Was back in Farnborough working on a client site last year, which was very handy for the airshow :biggrin::good:

Living in Semi-Rural Florida as I do, the mailbox can be 1/4 mile from the house. Along with upwards of 100 others. When I checked with Binoculars, if the little metal flag was down ( the indication that mail's been delivered ). It was, so as I'm confined to a wheelchair, I removed my plastic leg ( only 3 times I use it; Use of the commode, Driving my Car, and the Rudder Pedals of OFF ) and wheeled down to my mailbox. Now next to the mass of mailboxes, is a huge pin-oak tree that offers shade throughout the day. It's a spot where a small crowd gathers to tell lies, and shoot the breeze. Now They're Not close friends, but the pleasentries of the day are exchanged.

NOT Today, everybody gave me wide birth, some of the women had the the look of Horror on their faces. I actually checked I was zipped up, sooo I pick up my mail ( 3 Bills) they could've waited, and headed for home. Upon arriving at my house, I threw the bills on the kitchen table, and looked in the mirror, then I relized what I had done. I had worn my Trackir Hat to pick up the mail. Must've really freaked them out

Uncleal,

That is absolutely hilarious!!!  :rofl:

Jammer

Living in Semi-Rural Florida as I do, the mailbox can be 1/4 mile from the house. Along with upwards of 100 others. When I checked with Binoculars, if the little metal flag was down ( the indication that mail's been delivered ). It was, so as I'm confined to a wheelchair, I removed my plastic leg ( only 3 times I use it; Use of the commode, Driving my Car, and the Rudder Pedals of OFF ) and wheeled down to my mailbox. Now next to the mass of mailboxes, is a huge pin-oak tree that offers shade throughout the day. It's a spot where a small crowd gathers to tell lies, and shoot the breeze. Now They're Not close friends, but the pleasentries of the day are exchanged.

NOT Today, everybody gave me wide birth, some of the women had the the look of Horror on their faces. I actually checked I was zipped up, sooo I pick up my mail ( 3 Bills) they could've waited, and headed for home. Upon arriving at my house, I threw the bills on the kitchen table, and looked in the mirror, then I relized what I had done. I had worn my Trackir Hat to pick up the mail. Must've really freaked them out

Well, at least they won't be able to tell what you are thinking! We always have to be on the lookout for them!

shhhhh! rr

Hahaha!!! UncleAl - you sure gave them something to think and talk about.

In future, you may be known as "Radar Man"! :patsak:

Edited by Olham

LOL Uncle Al! the same thing happened to a friend of mine who took a break from building models to run down to the store. He wondered why everyone gave him the same look as you got, and when he got home, he realized he had left his optivisor on, just flipped it up out of the way.

Warren

I find it's a very odd sensation flying a few hours straight in OFF and then immediately going out for a drive in the car. I've got a standard shift so one really gets the impression of joystick in the right hand and rudder pedals at the feet. She just won't lift off the ground though! :wink:

Could get complicated, when on a highway with full speed, and you give "full rudder left"...

LOL! It's good to know I am in such fine company with this. I have often caught myself on a road trip to drop off an ambulance out in the rural Dakotas imagining I am on the "long recon". Scanning the horizon for any specks and checking the map to see if I am still on course. And on more than one ocassion I've rolled up behind the lone car on the highway and thought, "I'm on his six and he hasn't a clue...aim carefully now Lou...don't rush the shot."

Cheers!

Lou