Sign in to follow this  
Offwatch

Albatros DIII what a sweet plane

So far I have only flown campaigns for Britan but after a QC with the Albatros DIII I may have to explore my German heritage.

What Date and Squad would be good to start a campaign for the Albatros DIII. Should I start with a earlier Albatros? the I or II?. Would choosing a campaign that starts during the Bloody April be Cheating?

THIS-MAN-HAS-TASTE! (Lol!!!)

No choice of any Jasta, at any time you like, is cheating.

I think, no one can expect to survive the whole war. Start were you like. Many realy pilots came in

late 1917 or even 1918.

The Albatros DI/II is great in it's time - fun to fight!

But then, the forward sight in the DIII is much better. I recommend you Jasta 11 for a start, as early

as they they get the DIII. You will fly in the same Jasta as Manfred von Richthofen, and there are

more good people to assist you, when you're in trouble.

I will start there today, too. Have fun!

I think the easiest time to start a career flying the Alb would be when the D.II and D.III are new and in many ways superior to the opposition. That would be late 1916 and early 1917. Alb D.V has many good qualities, but it joins the battle in a period when the Entente powers are again starting to have superior scouts (like the Camel), so it has no special advantages against the enemies of late 1917. But it's definitely better than the Pfalz D.III, which I'm currently flying. Except for the wings... and Albs are uglier, too! :biggrin:

Now I should defend my lady against that. You seem to be another pilot, who prefers

a good looking plane to the lethal fighters, eyh?

Now, may you become THE German pilot on Pfalz DIIIa, as I may be THE Albatros man.

But please: do you never say that again - that an Albatros was ugly!

Otherwise, it might come to the first incident of two German pilots duelling over the lines

both in German fighter planes. And THAT, my friend, would definitely get us both into

one of the Kaiser's prisons. So, let's better stick together - it's hard enough against the

crumpets, the headovers, the yankees and the frogs.

Pardon my ignorance but what or who is a headover?

You are, Hood. The British say, you're from down under. Well, and as that is pretty

much on the opposite side of the earth, you are (from our point of view) headover.

From your point of view though...

Ahhh!Makes sense. Thanks Olham

But please: do you never say that again - that an Albatros was ugly!

Oh no, Sir, the Albatros is a beauty! The second most beautiful German scout, and definitely prettier than any frog or crumpet scout and their depressing colours of green and brown. No need for a duel. Besides, I'm not so sure I'd like to go up against you in your Albatros with my Pfalz, because the Alb is the deadlier fighter of the two. I might have to dive away after firing a short burst in your general direction. :biggrin:

Well, we should much rather fight together - it's hard enough, as it is.

I like your approach, to fly a plane you like, even when it is definitely NOT the best

fighter plane around. And after some time, you find more of it's special strengths.

Hello,

you wrote:

Well, we should much rather fight together - it's hard enough, as it is.

I like your approach, to fly a plane you like, even when it is definitely NOT the best

fighter plane around. And after some time, you find more of it's special strengths.

Well i am still waiting for the E.III's special strength to show up lol :biggrin: , it has not even the 1000 shots it had in Phase 2 ..

B.t.w. some photos from the Laatzen museum (sorry for the bad photos - only digital camera with a crappy flash, and light was bad for taking shots):

Complete view

post-45860-1239620589_thumb.jpg

a bit more close

post-45860-1239620710_thumb.jpg

detail of landing gear showing the lever for the wing warping mechanism

post-45860-1239620781_thumb.jpg

And a pre-war Moewe, quite a good plane for the time

post-45860-1239620852_thumb.jpg

There's also the Eindecker from Hans Grade, a Nieuport, Dr.I etc. - if you're in Hannover the museum is worth a visit ..

Greetings,

Catfish

Nice pics Wels, thanks for sharing. Also, I will add that the Alb is one of the few reasons I would sneak across the mud to fly with the Huns. That, and their beer...and Heidi Klum.

Cheers!

Lou

Hello Lou,

you wrote:

" .. the Alb is one of the few reasons I would sneak across the mud to fly with the Huns. That, and their beer...and Heidi Klum. .."

Maybe we meet in the middle of no man's land in the mud, me sneaking across for a Bristol fighter .. :dntknw:

I would almost prefer czech beer, instead of german. Heidi Klum, well ....

Greetings,

Catfish

I've done that - sneaked over with a foreign identity, to be allowed to fly

the famous Camel. And I must say, she didn't disappoint me.

See my thread "Oh my god - I shot two Albatros!"