Sign in to follow this  
Southside Bucky

AI planes at low level

Hi guys.

I've got a bit of time over the Easter to create an historical quick mission which I'll hopefully upload in a few days. Trouble is, for this one I need the AI planes to fly real low. Using the KMD Mission Builder, I've tried setting low altitudes but the planes won't start any lower than around 100 feet or so.

Does anyone know if it's possible to make 'em fly any lower, and if so, what file(s) do I need to edit?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Have a nice Easter.

Bucky

Ok Im pretty sure this is due to an entry in the aircraftobject.ini in the object folder (you need to extract the cat file 1st)

In that file is the area you will see an entry like this:

[DogfightNovice]

SafeAltitude=160 <--- This is where it tells the AI what the lowest alt is before dis-engaging.

LookoutAngle=90

DefensiveAngle=60

ChanceDefensiveTurn=0

ChanceBreakTurn=25

ChanceHardTurn=50

ChanceTurnDirection=25

ChanceContinue=100

ChanceCheckNewTarget=5

ChanceUseVertical=0

FightWithoutAmmo=0

CannonFireAngle=30.0

MaxPitchInput=0.4

MaxCannonRange=1200

OptimalCannonRange=100

MinCannonRange=60

MaxRollForGunAttack=45

CannonBurstLengthShort=2.5

CannonBurstLengthLong=2.5

MaxRudderForGunAttack=0.5

MaxRudderForManeuver=0.7

there are entries for novice, rookie, regular, ace pilot AI areas. Each one has this entry at the top SafeAltitude=xxx im pretty sure that tells the AI what its lowest alt to fly at. I have had all mine reset to 30 so all planes will chase the human player much lower than before. ALso adds a few crashes for the AI from running into things but I like it better than the run away at 150 idea.

Now just an FYI, I think peter01 also included some of the AI stuff on certain planes within the XXX_data.ini files for those planes so you have to adress the command in 2 different places. So if your running peter01's FM set (most of us are) then you may want to check the data.ini files of the planes your using to see if you need to change some data there as well.

I would change in both places or the planes your flying low may work but not the AI for planes trying to attack them. When attacking the AI will stop at the 100' or what ever they are at and wont tend to go much lower for a shot.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Firecage

Sorted! :yes:

Found the answer by doing a forum search...If anyone's interested, here's how to change the default AI altitudes:

Extract the 'MISSIONCONTROL' ini to the 'Flight' folder, scroll down to [Altitude] and re-set; 'VeryLow=' to '05'.

Then extract the 'AIRCRAFTOBJECT' ini to the 'Objects' folder, scroll down to [Dogfight-----] and re-set; 'SafeAltitude=' to 05.

Works well! :ok:

Bucky

Hi, Firecage.

We were posting at exactly the same time there...Typical, eh?

Really sorry to have wasted your time, but I didn't think I was going to get a quick answer, and I needed to press on with creating this mission before the historical anniversary date of the action.

Thanks though. I appreciate your help. :good:

Bucky

Wasn't on the side effects of this is that the AI tend to crash into mountains more? Or when you Alt-N, you port into the terrain more often?

Something I recall from a while back.

Good work though.

Yes, I do know I changed a few places for this to work. I do remember the other file you mentioned now. Im moving to a new house so im a bit slow and dont have all my notes available that are laying around all the time 8)

Cant wait to see the new missions your working on. :clapping:

And yes AI will fly you into mnts and stuff at times.... havent had it fly me into tnything YET using ALT_N...but ya newver know ...

Edited by Firecage