Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

Ah, the joys of the open cockpit!

First, I'm basically a 'Battle o' Britain' kind of guy. Never developed a taste for jets, and never found a WWI sim that satisfied, even Red Baron. No matter what I've been flying, I've always disliked the in-cockpit view because it was so restrictive. Just give me a 6 o'clock, tail-chase view where I can see my plane as part of the larger action and where I can see what's coming at me. In this respect, I found OFF very satisfying.

But about a week ago I was in a D.VII and hit the F4 to cycle views. I paused as the cockpit view came by and it was so dramatic, I've never switched back. I love this. I love the groaning and straining of the airframe. I'm chewing on the carpet waiting for TrackIR to arrive.

Edited by Hauksbee

Never, IMHO, has there been a game more closely coupled with TrackIR. I would even go so far as to say you shouldn't even play this game if you don't have TrackIR. :biggrin: Because OFF is so visually based (heck, a lot of the planes don't even have altimeters or airspeed indicators), the view is everything! [Please detect the tongue-in-cheek here neatly bundled with a side of seriousness]

Glad to hear you're getting TrackIR though, you'll love it!

Purely out of curiousity what have you been using to aim your machine gun, until today ?

If you just pull the trigger you get a stream of tracer that's very bright as it leaves the gun and gets smaller and dimmer as it goes. Just note the point at which they go away completely...at, let's say, an inch above the airplane on the screen. Then when stalking I squeeze off single shots to see how close that point is coming to the target. When I get a puff of smoke, or a blue-text notice, I fire a longer burst.

Never, IMHO....

"Humble' b'demmed! I'd say you're right on the money!

TrackIR is without doubt, the best purchase I ever made for Simming... Not just OFF, but IL2 (restricted to non 6DO) FS2004 to name but a few.

I am with Homeboy...it's an absolute must have for OFF (imho)

Flight simming without Trackir is like a woman without.........well, you know!

CJ

TrackIR is without doubt, the best purchase I ever made for Simming... Not just OFF, but.....

When I mention it to friends they all start to ask if it can be used for FPS, racing, etc. Yes. Yes. And yes....

Send them to www.naturalpoint.com and there's a list of Trackir supported games. Trackir even supports RB3D albeit 2 DOF I believe.

CJ

Send them to www.naturalpoint.com and there's a list of Trackir supported games. Trackir even supports RB3D albeit 2 DOF I believe.

CJ

I played RB3D years ago, but never really got good at it without cheating (i.e., hitting the T for target key and trying to keep track of enemies with the padlock view). Thanks to someone's suggestion on this forum, I reinstalled RB3D Hell's Angel's with my new TrackIR and now know what I was missing all those years. In fact, I now play RB3D almost as much as BHaH, even though it's only 2DOF. It gives me an even greater appreciation for what Polovski, OvS, Rabu, Shredward, Capt. Winters, and many others accomplished with their upgrades to RB3D that dueled the drive to complete the BHaH masterpiece.

Sorry, I'm still recovering from lack of sleep due to dreaming about BHaH all night...suffice it to say that I can't imagine flying ANY of my favorite sims now without TrackIR.

Cheers

First, I'm basically a 'Battle o' Britain' kind of guy. Never developed a taste for jets, and never found a WWI sim that satisfied, even Red Baron. No matter what I've been flying, I've always disliked the in-cockpit view because it was so restrictive. Just give me a 6 o'clock, tail-chase view where I can see my plane as part of the larger action and where I can see what's coming at me. In this respect, I found OFF very satisfying.

But about a week ago I was in a D.VII and hit the F4 to cycle views. I paused as the cockpit view came by and it was so dramatic, I've never switched back. I love this. I love the groaning and straining of the airframe. I'm chewing on the carpet waiting for TrackIR to arrive.

Wait a minute, are you saying that you used to play OFF in 3rd person?!?!? Wow, that seems quite hard!

RR

Wait a minute, are you saying that you used to play OFF in 3rd person?!?!? Wow, that seems quite hard!

Funny, I never thought of it that way, but yes, you're right. All I had to do was keep a feel where the rounds were falling. And frequent single-shots to check range.

The best sim experience I've ever had must be OFF with Trackir. I can't even imagine what it would be like to fly without it! The dogfights in this sim are so fast and deadly that staying alive is difficult even with Trackir.