Sign in to follow this  
Test Pilot

Greener Pasteurs

And by finally, I mean it took all of 4 days (including a Sunday!) for OFF3 to arrive after ordering it. Now, any suggestions for whom/what/when/ to fly??? :rolleyes:

And by finally, I mean it took all of 4 days (including a Sunday!) for OFF3 to arrive after ordering it. Now, any suggestions for whom/what/when/ to fly??? :rolleyes:

I always start with the two-seaters. that's one of the many things that makes Over Flander's Fields so rewarding. although I recommend that with two little caveats. the observer's position on the aircraft (especially German) don't seem to engage any of the attacking scouts unless you activate the tactical display and select an adversary. this seems to be required to "wake up" the machine-gunner in the back seat. unless something has changed dramatically--the observer in the Hannover will not so much as lift a finger to defend your tail unless you point out the enemy!

the Bristol Fighter is a lot of fun. (and it carries up to a dozen 25 pound Cooper's bombs, gotta love that!) I would LOVE the Roland C.II if it were actually able to carry bombs as it was historically capable of doing--but as it stands I simply like it.

naw, the two most enjoyable machines in the game for me are the FE2b and the Bristol Fighter.

start with No.20 Squadron with the FE2b, and any Bristol Fighter squadron is fun--

Jasta 15 is the only scout squadron I can remember where (as a German) you'll be able to fly through the entire war. (well, at last in Phase 2 it was)

My only suggestion is to read the STICKY OFF Tips & Cheats . . Before you take off. . forever asking newbie questions . . which frankly have become a bit of a bore

Yes, it is a very nice and useful guide!

Nice testpilot! I just recieved my copy today as well. My first question was answered in the first line of that sticky that uncleal spoke of. :biggrin: Really enjoying some quick missions so far. Almost seems like cheating flying the sopwith camel. Is that considered an easy plane to fly? She does everything i ask of her without complaint.

Hannover had a make over, so please don't ignore it :)

AI gunners will engage enemies shouldn't need you to prod them with the targetting, but if there's a problem can help.

Camel is good but tricky to fly, did you auto trim it or change to easy FM ?

The one I settled into first was the SE-5 [either model]. It seemed the most controllable. For the first week I flew something different [most] every time [ well...frequently] to see what was going on and precious few were any fun at all. But I could get results with The SE-5. Also, the Roland C.II is quite easy. I mentioned before that your WWII experience will get you killed repeatedly until you develop your WWI 'hand' on the stick. As that started to happen, I found the Camel not as squirrely as its real-life reputation. Suddenly the D.VII was better than on first meeting, the Sopwith Tripe, the Dr.I,...now I'm flying them all.

Flying at 100% realism (except auto mixture set to ON).

And yes my silly spitfire loops and rolls got me killed on my first couple missions. But i toned it down and just pretended i was in a spit IX trying to shoot down a stuka and flying at 'just above' stall speed. :biggrin:

WWI air combat seems much more personal. You really need to get right up in your bandits back seat before you let loose the single (or double if your lucky) mg.

Don't forget the Camel killed inexperienced pilots (no retry refly ;)) not experienced ones as such. In experienced hands if they made it that far, it was deadly.

Prepare to kiss your spare time goodbye! I have been flying the Bristol Scout and in truth most missions become interesting. Last night I attacked an enemy airfeld and got shot up pretty bad. With other sims I would have started again as the plane was virtually unflyable. Turning was a pig and involved a lot of rudder work.

But I would have lost a pilot I had invested timer in and ended up nursing her over 30 miles to an allied airfield. Flying over the front with smoke and gas clouds was an experience. this sim is like no other and I love it

Enjoy! :biggrin: