Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Indian Pilot in WW1

Am I correct in thinking there was an Indian pilot who flew for the RFC in WW1?

Ah yes, that's the guy...I remember seeing his face in a book when I was a youngster...thanks Dej

I've also seen that same picture in RB3D. I didn't know he was Indian though.

CJ

He's also in OFF:BHaH - Pilot72.bmp in ...\PilotPhotos\Britain

Try this site.www.wewerethere.defencedynamics.mod.uk/ww1/background_ww1.html - 8k -

Cool...Anyone know which aircraft markings he had?

We should remember these guys, and appreciate they were fighting a long way from home.... god bless them all

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

It's not much but it's a start.

Edited by Red-Dog

Cool Red...I might be mistaken, but I think I have seen that skin before?

Cool Red...I might be mistaken, but I think I have seen that skin before?

Might have. It's featured in the Osprey SE5 Aces title. And soon on a screen near you. Sandbagger is working on the SE5 skins now.

That particular a/c is B189, a Martinsyde built Hisso SE5a. It was allotted to 40RFC on 20/3/18, and flown by 'Harry' Harrison, 'Tud' Tudhope, and Reed Landis. It will be flown Over Flanders Fields by 'Tud' Tudhope. 'Laddie' Roy will be flying B180, the a/c with which he made all of his claims, and the one he was flying when he was killed on 22/7/18.

We also have Hardit Singh Malik. Look for his a/c among the 28 RFC Camels. Another fine Sandbagger skin.

Cheers,

shredward

Sweet! I painted Laddie's plane for RB3D. There are lower inboard wing stripes on it as well, which are not shown on the model but are visible in the photo.

Shredward, you noted that Sandbagger is working on the SE5a skins. So I imagine we should hold off painting up any of the ace's skins for these birds until those new skins are available. I was going to do up Bishop's plane for my next skinning project, but I can easily direct my attentions to other craft if these are already in the works.

Man...this is a GREAT sim, with a GREAT bunch of folks who keep working to make it better, (my own company excepted). :biggrin:

Cheers!

Lou

Man...this is a GREAT sim, with a GREAT bunch of folks who keep working to make it better, (my own company excepted). :biggrin:

Cheers!

Lou

And YOU sir..are way too modest!!!!!

Sweet! I painted Laddie's plane for RB3D. There are lower inboard wing stripes on it as well, which are not shown on the model but are visible in the photo.

Shredward, you noted that Sandbagger is working on the SE5a skins. So I imagine we should hold off painting up any of the ace's skins for these birds until those new skins are available. I was going to do up Bishop's plane for my next skinning project, but I can easily direct my attentions to other craft if these are already in the works.

Cheers!

Lou

Hi Lou,

I've not seen that photo. Would you mind emailing it to me?

Bagger is doing at least one SE for every pilot we have who flew one - many have two or more eg if he flew Hissos and Vipers, or switched units, or had an extended career.

Cheers,

shredward

Hi Shredward,

Actually Sir, you can see them in the photo in Red-Dog's post. They are inboard stripes on the lower planes, and if memory serves they are wide blue with narrow white edge stripes, with the blue being about the same hue as that in the roundels.

Cheers!

Lou

You can make out the white narrow stripe in this photo too... I've indicated it with an arrow. You can work out the width of the blue stripe from the number of ribs.

Indra_Lal_Roy.jpg