Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

Why are my squadron mates always slower than me?

Every now and again, in the early dawn light, at 15,000, I get the urge to just get in formation with the rest of the Jasta and just cruise a bit, admire the paint schemes and maybe take a picture to send home. But no matter how much I throttle back, I creep out ahead and they all disappear behind. Then I stall. Is it possible to match speeds with them?

Hi Hauksbee , i just keep blipping the throttle till i catch them up,Then throttle back or climb a touch to slow down etc, if i lead then i fly at about 80% until they have caught me up then slowly speed up.

Then throttle back or climb a touch to slow down...

Well, I've nothing left to throttle back with; I'm stalling out. But bleeding off some energy in a gentle parallel climb might be just the ticket.

1. Do one round at your airfield to collect them all.

2. Warp only at 70% throttle or less.

3. Press "R" more often. At every turn/waypoint, they can easily loose touch.

Is it possible to match speeds with them?

And here I thought it was just because I don't know how to fly.

Sometimes I manage to hold formation, more or less, by obssesively nursing the throttle... but with every waypoint change they invariably end up to hell and gone. I often have to let them drop back a couple of miles, then circle around to rejoin them. ® doesn't work unless you're flying lead, right?

I've also noticed every plane in the squadron gains altitude faster than I do, too, especially at take off. I've decided that is because I don't know how to fly.

Why dont you fly Dshermann side, no? Zee pilots are orderly trained officers,

who follow der leader blind (...?...Heard that before ?) werever your orders

send zem - and if to hell! Mmmuahahahaaa!!!

It seems to vary with different a/c. I always lead, and once to my chosen altitude I engage level-autopilot (so I can relax with a fag and a coffee while admiring the scenery and looking out for the hun). The Se5s have no problem sitting nicely behind me, but the Halbs would always be left behind unless I kept the throttle at no more than approx 75%.

As for staying in formation as a non-lead pilot, forget it. The AI out-climbed me immediately and were long gone.