Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

What a p*sser

Went Fishing for a few hours last night, yanked a strike at a rather large Carp...missed him, and sunk the hook stright into my finger!

Wasn't hurting last night, so didn't think too much of it...but it is hurting now!

Now have a whopping great bandage contraption on it...can't work, can't skin, can't hardly play using my joystick...thourghly peed off!..and feeling sorry for myself! :sorry::sorry:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Oh can I feel your pain Widowmaker. I did the same thing a number of years ago and it snagged me so hard it put the hook all the way through the side of my finger, (but missed the bone). Had to have the barbed end clipped off with a wire cutters so the remainder of the hook could be pulled out the same way it had gone in. Then I got a tetanus shot after which I sat there whilst the Doc slipped a blunt needle through the puncture wound so he could pull a string coated with antibiotics through the hole in order to clean it out and keep it from infecting. A bad day in Red Rock.

Cheers!

Lou

Sorry for your bloody luck mate. Tis indeed a pisser. I do hope it heals fast and you aren't too crippled. Bummer :crutch00:

Thankfully it was a Barbless hook, so I slipped it out easy enough.

Had a tetanus jab two years ago, after the cat bit me!..So, should be ok soon

Hi, Simon

Sorry to hear that. Be careful, old boy - as far as I know, Tetanus should be three injections.

Not sure, if yours is still strong enough?

If it helps you: I won't do any skinning today or tomorrow. Lots of work to do, and tomorrow,

I'll buy balcony flowers with Dorina (step by step...Lol!)...

Get well soon Simon!

I have had several hook injuries to my fingertips myself so it is not just you.

Thankfully it was a Barbless hook, so I slipped it out easy enough.

Had a tetanus jab two years ago, after the cat bit me!..So, should be ok soon

Yeah good choice on the barbless hook at least! That's one of the reasons I only use barbless ones. Along with making it easier on the fish to release him. Keep tension on the line and a good hook set mean you wont ever lose a fish due to it not having a barb on the hook! You survive all those combat missions only to get wounded while on leave... CO will not be pleased at all! :biggrin:

Thanks for the well wishes guys!..Yes, the guys at casualty were happy enough with it, just gotta keep an eye on it.

Hope it get's better soon enough for me to

a) get another skin in for the competition

b) let me get that Carp

Thanks for the well wishes guys!....

Indeed. Hard luck. But...patrol tomorrow early. Need every man.

It's like playing Poker at a certain joint, you know the game is crooked, but it's the only game in town.

Pretty much sums it up Uncleal.

The UK is a bit short of Sportfish, therefore Carp are very highly prized.....As for skanky Trout...well, they're only use is suspended under a float awaiting a big Pike!! :biggrin:

My ambition (after watching it on Cable) is to have a crack at the Striped Bass....they were being fished for in Maine...now THAT would be soooo coool!

Ahh, the old hook in the hand. I feel your pain Widowmaker. My jackknife folded on my hand about 2 months ago and I had to go to my favorite hospital, (yes I have a favorite, been to quite a few) to get stitches in my pinkie and a tetanus shot. It hurt to fly OFF, but the war isnt gonna win itself! Now why is it my favorite hospital you may ask? Well, theres a big glass case where they put all the fishing lures that they've pulled out of people! None of them are mine yet, but Im sure I'll get a couple in there before I'm through.

Stripers are fun too Widowmaker. My nieghbor just got a nice boat, so we'll be striper fishing on the Hudson river here before too long. Hope your wound heals soon so you can get back out there and get that carp.

-Rooster

Thanks Rooster...Yes, I shall not forget that Carp.

A bit like Stalking an Albatross..... I will get my revenge on him..get a nice photo, and put him back safe and well!.... Oh, the Humanity!! :smile:

Unbelievable - I thought I was the only one! 'The love that dare not speak its name'. Would have read this sooner, but I've been away carp fishing. UK_Widowmaker, hope that finger is fit for keyboard action again soon!

I got confused between my 'avatar' and my 'personal picture' so maybe this is better. Apologies to our cousins across the pond who I believe spread them on the fields for fertiliser.. Just as well I retired since life is otherwise too short for carp fishing and OFF!

Widowmaker,You could deal with this two ways.

1. Pretend you have been injured in a sortie and in hospital for a while.

2. Fly as if your Charles Nungesser.

Charles Nungesser, French Air Service, Medical Record (1918)

Skull fracture, brain concussion, internal injuries (multiple), five fractures of the upper jaw, two fractures of lower jaw, piece of anti-aircraft shrapnel imbedded in right arm, dislocation of knees (left and right), re-dislocation of left knee, bullet wound in mouth, bullet wound in ear, atrophy of tendons in left leg, atrophy of muscles in calf, dislocated clavicle, dislocated wrist, dislocated right ankle, loss of teeth, contusions too numerous to mention

He was often so hobbled by wounds and injuries, he had to be helped into his cockpit.

Bigfish2...hiya fellow Carp fool!...you are not alone with your madness! :smile:

jammer 28... I now feel like a real wimp after reading that!

Good lord.

And there I was thinking that my combination of fishing and OFFing were unique. Does anyone else combine those two with drinking beer as well?

Good lord.

And there I was thinking that my combination of fishing and OFFing were unique. Does anyone else combine those two with drinking beer as well?

Hahah.... Count me in for all three!.... we lucky few!!!

As the old saying goes....

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for 1 day.

Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat all day drinking beer. :biggrin:

Widowmaker, if you want to fish for striped bass, you might want to go to Texas in the spring. In the March-April timeframe, they usually (unless there's been a drought) open the floodgates of the reservoirs. All sorts of little baitfish get sucked through into the spillway creeks and flop around all crippled and stunned. The white bass, their big cousins the stripers, and their hybrid spawn all swarm at the bottom of the dam snapping them up. When you hook one, he takes off downstream in the white water. Even a little white bass in that water is a real fight, but when you hook a striper it's a truly epic struggle :yes:

Me, I love to fish for pike. Carp, I have Koi in my garden pond. I mucked out the pond today and it should be fish ready tomorrow. I live on the St. Croix river, Minnesota/Wisconsin border. All kinds of fish to be had in there. Can't wait to get down to the dock.

There's no doubt I was unfair to all our friends in the US regarding their attitude to carp, and Rickitycrate's post proves this. A few years ago when I had to work for a living I spent a week in the wonderful city of Boston, first morning I was running by the river at dawn and met an old guy fishing for carp who spoke no English at all, but we nevertheless spent a pleasant hour together, bonded by fishing. OFF has same effect; isn't it marvellous that we can all get together - virtually - from all over the world bonded by our common interest, without a cross word? BTW do we have to stop talking fishing and get back to flying soon?

Hi Rickity.

Big Pike fanatic too!..... I love to nip up the road to Bonny Scotland, and cast a bait or Lure into a dark, quite Loch..great stuff!

Bullethead..Yes, that sounds fantastic!...you guys over the pond are spoilt when it comes to fish!... I am always jealous!!!

Bigfish2..... Might as well fly for a bit mate!..The weather isn't spectacular at the moment is it?