Sign in to follow this  
zagnut

Lomac Is Sucking....

You guys,

I'm sorry to say, this game sucks. I feel buyers remorse on this one. This thing was made for a Pentium 10, with 5000 GB RAM. NOT a 1.8 with 1gig and a gforce 4. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

:D :huh::angry: :(

Zag, dont feel bad, I got a P3 1ghz with 512 MB RAM and a radeon 8500 and running win98 and this game just plain aint werkin! I just bought it a couple days ago and have spent more time online and in the options page, than actually flying. I did find a work around using the old demo files to get the game to launch finally. I also discovered there is a force feedback centering problem that is being addressed in the upcoming patch along with the win98 issue. I was able to fool with the controller settings to dampen problems a bit. But in the meantime, my flight control isnt as good as I want it to be.

I was also able to improve the framerates somewhat by over-clocking my video card a bit and seeting all settings on performance over quality with the card, and to generally all low settings in-game. But by far, the biggest problem, which I havent found a resolution or fix for, and which hasnt been mentioned in any patch updates, is flashing textures. My plane, the terrain, and sometimes parts of the sky flash off and on, disappear for a few moments, or turn invisible completely, forcing me to reboot. The cockpit, everything, can suddenly disappear...not good in a fight when I might need those indicators... :P

All I can say is be patient. Matt Wagner seems to be a pretty squared away fellow that tries to keep us up to date on news. He says a patch is nearing completion. I beleive him. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt and a chance to get things fixed before I start looking for a rope. ;)

You guys,

I'm sorry to say, this game sucks. I feel buyers remorse on this one. This thing was made for a Pentium 10, with 5000 GB RAM. NOT a 1.8 with 1gig and a gforce 4. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

:D :huh:  :angry:  :(

You should have read the bottom of the box's minimum requierments...

Sorry to inform you but a patch ain't going to help much with frame rate on a 1.8...? The 1 gig ram is good...and gforce4....? What is that a 32meg vidoe card...or 128..?

I apologize if I'm wrong.......

Right on bro,

I know there's a patch coming out double quick but, ugh! It's the principle I guess. The principle of dollar $igns for X-mas instead of a true work of art. I'll keep trying to love it I guess. ;)

Easy, Zag. I'll send you a personal message. Maybe we can sort this out and get things going for you. Keep the faith! ;)

feel for ya bro....

but "this game sucks"....

better "my computer sucks" which is more accurate hehe

thing plays awesome if you have a real fast machine.

hope you get into it

oh yeah, buyers remorse? 40.00 you can drink that in an hour

S!

uhoh7

$40.00, in an hour? Bah!

I live in Vegas bro, we have Beer specials!

Merry Christmas!

$40.00, in an hour? Bah!

I live in Vegas bro, we have Beer specials!

Merry Christmas!

ZaggieNutt.........lol

Don't loose your sanity.. I'm sure that if you twick it a little you'll get better frame rates..and pound for pound..or dollar for dollar this is the best sim yet..when it comes to everything... ofcourse you need a computer and hardware that is liked by this game..lol

There are some fast cards out there that are having some problems running it. But, most of the worst bugs are being fixed as we type.. The patch is just aroung the corner and hopefully it will help some of you.. I'm one of those fortunate ones that tha games runs good for.. I have a HP AMD Athlon 2.4..512 ddr...ATI 128 Radeon Pro... I'm sorry to hear your system don't want to run it.. I hope things work better when the patch come out.. and if it dosen't..Well, you will have a nice sim later when you upgrade...in a couple years....I hope...

MerryXmas

ps.. I've been to Vegas 4 times and yes...beer and drinks are free if you gamble..... :blink:

Cheers.......

Zag, dont feel bad, I got a P3 1ghz with 512 MB RAM and a radeon 8500 and running win98 and this game just plain aint werkin! I just bought it a couple days ago and have spent more time online and in the options page, than actually flying. I did find a work around using the old demo files to get the game to launch finally. I also discovered there is a force feedback centering problem that is being addressed in the upcoming patch along with the win98 issue. I was able to fool with the controller settings to dampen problems a bit. But in the meantime, my flight control isnt as good as I want it to be.

;)

Wow! I feel your pain, you sure are keen to be perservering with it given all that.

Once the controller is patched, you need to get atleast an ATi9600XT (best performance/value) and install Win XP, and most of your problems will ... well ... will be replaced by entirely new ones ... lol :blink:

A squad mate was in a very similar position to you (and he was very displeased with both Lock On and his computer and threatened to dump it onto the Freeway!) then he installed XP and an FX5600 Ultra 256meg .... and they all lived happily ever after. ;) :D

You guys,

Actually, the game works absolutely fantastic most of the time on a top-end PC, and I see high 20's FPS with EVERYTHING on high, exept the water which I always have on LOW (Can't stand the shiny water; I use a custom sea texture which works much better for supplying all the necessary visual cues) and the "Viewable Distance" set to medium, with 1280x960 resolution and 4x FSAA and 4xAA.

(Yes, it is of course a Sapphire ATi RADEON 9800XT 256 meg DDR card)

When it gets extremely busy it will sometimes drop very briefly to as low as 13 FPS but the estimated average FPS is around 26 - 27 (which is a higher FPS rate than the U.S. television standard @ 25 FPS!)

You need a very new and high performance computer to run Lock On smoothly, and it definitely DOES NOT 'suck'--I've never enjoyed any sim more than this (but holy crap, it costs a fortune to get smooth performance).

--

P.S. If Eagle Dynamics would just address/comment/rectify the 64 kilobyte files size limitation in multiplayer I'd be much happier with that aspect to (yep, that's my pet gripe)

Edited by zzzspace

Hey fellas,

Thanks for your support. Cretin and I are gonna hash it out when I get back from Texas next week. I know that a patch is on it's way, I guess it's just the pricipalities of the publisher to make holiday sales and what not, when on the flip side, the game is pratically unfinished. It just makes a bad taste in the mouth of the customer's expectations. That's all I really meant.

Thanks again, and Merry X-mas.

Zag

Well, it runs OK on my machine, but I wouldn't it call it finished either. There are some annoying glitches such as no FF-effects with the sidewinder. You can't feel the plane and that's especially bothersome during landings. I never know, if I have actually made the touch down or if I'm still some feet above the ground. Crashed some planes that way.

The graphic issues are also tiresome sometimes. Flying with effects set to high it drops down to a very low framerate when engaging ground units. And I consider my machine on the higher end: Athlon XP 3000+, Radeon 9600 Pro and 1024 MB Ram. I understand, that the game is unplayable on some machines and making a game, that only runs smoothly on the highest end is narrowing down the potential of buyers. So I think, they should do something about that also.

As an old player of IL2FB I'm a little bit dissapointed about the strictly linear campaign also. The only possibilities are success or failure, which isn't very realistic.

Don't feel bad Zag.

I'm running an Athlon 2500+ barton, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, 1Gb memory, and lo-mac sucks donkey doo for frame rates. I get 10-12fps on takeoff. When flying it goes from 20 to 30fps (not bad, but not great either).

And the campaign interface blows. Is as intuitive as a shuttle cockpit.

Edited by Mr.Fork

That's more than right. Took my twelve flights to figure out, how the program can be brought to remember my progress.

Don't feel bad Zag.

I'm running an Athlon 2500+ barton, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, 1Gb memory, and lo-mac sucks donkey doo for frame rates. I get 10-12fps on takeoff. When flying it goes from 20 to 30fps (not bad, but not great either).

my pc is almost the same except i have Ge-Force 4 MX :(

FPS on take-off can go between 1-15 (according to the view)

in the air i get 20-50+ (acording to the view... again) :blink:

:D He,he! Keep the faith, men. Any of you go back as far as the very first Su-27 sim from Eagle Dynamics? Those who do go back that far know EXACTLY what I am referring to. Essentially, you were on your own! With what training there was you had to try to stay alive long enough to learn something! The plane was great, scenery looked like a cartoon. You had to be pretty hardcore and determined to stay with that one! The hook was that it was the first Russian jet fighter to be featured in a sim AND it was a real breakthrough in flight model accuracy.

From those humble beginnings we got to Flanker 2.5 and now LOMAC. There were plenty of bugs, bumps and glitches along that road! Nothing ever came out of the box "perfect". They never do. The really big difference was that Eagle Dynamics and all of the other folks involved NEVER dropped the ball. They offered ONGOING support for a LONG time in terms of patches and updates. By contrast, other jet sims got maybe one half assed patch and that was it! I'm not kidding! That's the truth!

To make a sim with mutiple flyable jet aircraft at a high level of realism is an absolutely astounding accomplishment. It's amazingly complex just in terms of the math formulae involved. I was very surprised that it runs as well as it does right out of the box.

Keep the faith. It's going to be OK. I guarantee that you won't find yourself throwing LOMAC on the junk pile. Patience is the key. That's why I went into past history. There are still plenty of people playing Flanker today. That would not be the case had there not been great ongoing support. You think Flanker was perfect out of the box?

Of course, if you are really unhappy you could buy the other multi-aircraft, hardcore, jet combat sim released this holiday season. What's the name of that again? ;)

I know that a patch is on it's way, I guess it's just the pricipalities of the publisher to make holiday sales and what not, when on the flip side, the game is pratically unfinished. It just makes a bad taste in the mouth of the customer's expectations. That's all I really meant.

The publisher was sort of between a rock and a hard place though. I remember months ago everyone was complaining that they have been working on the game too long and havent released it yet. There was lots of "i dont care if its buggy, i just want to play it" comments and a few "Release it as soon as its good enough" comments. There was a lot of pressure to release it even earlier. I think Ubi has balanced it quite well. Sure it has bugs, but in general its definitely playable and fun.

If they were still working on it, instead of posts saying they shouldnt have released it with so many bugs, we would have a lot more posts complaining that its not released.

At least this way, there are people who are happy.

If you look at the recent bug fix list for the up coming patch you can see that most of what is being fixed up was not reported on the UBI forums; it appears to be mostly the remnants of late beta testing fix-ups, and a few specific fixes for the more serious (and bitterly complained about at length) bugs in the release, which really detract from Lock On's playability.

Work on the patch needed to really polish and sweeten Lock On has probably not even begun yet in ernest.