Sign in to follow this  

Has anybody actually been hit by AAA fire from the likes of pieces like the ZSU-57 or KS-12/19/60? I've just wondered, cos apart from making pretty little puffs and big banging noises in the sky - I've never been hit by a projectile from any of these guys.

In Ed Rasimus' books, he frequently referred to large calibre AAA being guided by 'Firecan' radars. Before I read any of his books I've never even heard of a Firecan radar:

post-29988-1239902911_thumb.jpg

I don't suppose anybody's got one tucked away in their hard drive gathering dust?

Man... you're like one week late on this discussion...

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=39219

No matter what changes and tweaks I made, I never got hit. I did add a FireCan, I think it was from the ODS mod, and networked it with the S-60, KS-12, KS-19, and KS-30. Still never got hit though...

Checking it out now. Thanks for the pointer bud. :good:

Firecans are not only in ODS, but in ASW, DBS, SoCal, Libya, Isreal2 and butt-load of other 'modern-ish' terrain mods I've done

with thanks to FastCargo for creating it ~18 months ago :wink:

wrench

kevin stein

OK, I've checked out the thread that Malibu pointed me to. So there's a new Firecan radar model in the works. I wonder if it'll include a AAA network set up that can be placed on any map?

I also watched the short WMV that Fubar put on the thread. Now that's EXACTLY what I'd like in certain areas of a map :yes:

I have been hitted sometimes in my Korean install. I have in it 37, 57 and 100mm guns. I have tweaked the data.ini of the guns, giving all of them 9 in both range finder and ballistic computer, and giving them radar. Nevertheless, in Korea, the aircraft are slower than in other wars and easier to hit

Firecans are not only in ODS, but in ASW, DBS, SoCal, Libya, Isreal2 and butt-load of other 'modern-ish' terrain mods I've done

with thanks to FastCargo for creating it ~18 months ago :wink:

wrench

kevin stein

I've just checked my ODS mod in WOE - no sign of it in my GroundObjects folder, unless it's under a different folder name :dntknw: . Which version of Israel2 is it in? I'd rather not go downloading a load of terrains that I don't need :no:

I've just checked my ODS mod in WOE - no sign of it in my GroundObjects folder, unless it's under a different folder name :dntknw: . Which version of Israel2 is it in? I'd rather not go downloading a load of terrains that I don't need :no:

Ultramax it is called SON9A in the desert folder. As a note about Fubar video.

By upping the warhead as in the thread I get hit sometimes in WOV by flak

Adding the networking as Fubar suggested doesn't seem to up enorumously the flak hit-rate.

With upped warhead AND networking in less dense AAA terrain such your desert and standard desert, I have yet to be hit by AAA.

I wish fubar would explain his magic more, or he knows (or has ) something we don't apparently

Hold the replies on that, lads. I found it in SoCal. I forgot I had in WOE :blush2:

Ultramax it is called SON9A in the desert folder. As a note about Fubar video.

By upping the warhead as in the thread I get hit sometimes in WOV by flak

Adding the networking as Fubar suggested doesn't seem to up enorumously the flak hit-rate.

With upped warhead AND networking in less dense AAA terrain such your desert and standard desert, I have yet to be hit by AAA.

I wish fubar would explain his magic more, or he knows (or has ) something we don't apparently

I also wish I had his missile launch sound as well. I've been looking for a proper one for a long long time. The only other place I heard a good launch sound was here:

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it in any of the sounds dowloads :dntknw:

This isn't in the knoweldge base?! >O

What isn't - the video or the missile launch sound? :rofl:

No, seriously though; if anyone knows of this .wav sound I'd be delighted. As with deployment of AAA, until this Firecan mod mentioned in the other thread appears, I'll be looking through the DS_DATA.INI file to see how the Flak was deployed on that terrain

Ok, I turned up the accuracy of my KS-19s to 98 and increased the RPM by a little. I did a Single Mission with clear skies in the afternoon. After I did my CAS mission, I flew towards some KS-19s. With 8 other B52s in close formation, flying at 110-130 knots at 4000-6000 feet, we got no hits. I sent the B52s away and hoped maybe if I wait a for more minutes I might get a hit, but nothing >_<. This was on Normal difficulty. :/

I think it does. As I wrote elsewhere, in WOV, possible due to the amount and concentration of the Flak, I ve been hit several times by the Flak; in that map I added a lot of target areas.. in other maps, much less to nothing hitting me.

As fubar said the warhead values are enormously high.

But by all means, give a try to this mod, and set difficulty on high. At this point, two years after, I am confused again about the subject.

Let me know how and if it works. Backup the original gundata ini and reload the gundata you downlaoded with the gun editor before you test it in the game.

(i.e, put gundata in the object folder, open guneditor, point to the gundata in question, save, close guneditor, the standard procedure that is)

Please note that I added in the followup to the mod this note.

Update note; after having blown out from the sky in hard setting (and in normal at times) I am experimenting with 130MM_KS30warhead weight of 500000 instead of 942000

Please test the modifications

so, please test and experiment.

Edited by Canadair

I think it does. As I wrote elsewhere, in WOV, possible due to the amount and concentration of the Flak, I ve been hit several times by the Flak; in that map I added a lot of target areas.. in other maps, much less to nothing hitting me.

As fubar said the warhead values are enormously high.

But by all means, give a try to this mod, and set difficulty on high. At this point, two years after, I am confused again about the subject.

Let me know how and if it works. Backup the original gundata ini and reload the gundata you downlaoded with the gun editor before you test it in the game.

(i.e, put gundata in the object folder, open guneditor, point to the gundata in question, save, close guneditor, the standard procedure that is)

Please note that I added in the followup to the mod this note.

Update note; after having blown out from the sky in hard setting (and in normal at times) I am experimenting with 130MM_KS30warhead weight of 500000 instead of 942000

Please test the modifications

so, please test and experiment.

Cheers bud. BTW, I was told by (I think) Dave that the GunEditor can be used in SF2. Which folder do I put the GunData.INI file into? I've been having a little trouble working that one out :dntknw:

Anyone else get results? After two or three hits It got critical. BTW Yeah I'm going slow, but this was after I got hit, I was going a little bit faster 200-250kts.

eugh2q.jpg

Edited by i fight by 1

Nothing conclusive. If I knew which folder to put the GUNDATA.INI file in I might be able to change some of the gun settings, which might help me make things more realistic :dntknw:

Anyone else get results? After two or three hits It got critical.

Be sure to check your Log in the Debrief section after your mission ends just to make sure that it was high calibre Flak that hit you. That way you'll know whether you're going in the right direction (editing wise :biggrin: )

Nothing conclusive. If I knew which folder to put the GUNDATA.INI file in I might be able to change some of the gun settings, which might help me make things more realistic :dntknw:
Um, I put it in the Objects folder, just me thought >_<... Edited by i fight by 1

To use the "Old" Gun Editor with SF2, First make Your Edits to the .INI that You're going to place in SF2 with Editor. Hit "Save". This will generate a .DAT File. Now take the new GunData.INI and GunData.Dat File and place it in Your "Objects" Folder of SF2. There's one last Step before You're done. Open the GunData.INI in Windows "NotePad". Next, Click "Save As" and under Encoding, change it from ASCII to Unicode, then "Save". If You are making changes to the SF2 GunData.ini. You have to change it to ASCII, Make the changes with the Editor, "Save", Then change back to Unicode.....

That's it....

Edited by 331Killerbee

The craziest thing just happened. All that testing I did trying to get hit by flak and I couldn't get it to happen. I was doing all my testing with the latest patch.

Just flew a strike in WOV (old patch) and on my 3rd pass (yeah, I know...) I got drilled by 57mm. The log just said shot down, but I was in external view when it happened and I didn't see any tracers and wasn't that low.

The gun was the KS-60 (or S-60) from the DS mod w/o any other values changed.

I'm wondering if the flak was a little more effective with the old patch...?

To use the "Old" Gun Editor with SF2, First make Your Edits to the .INI that You're going to place in SF2 with Editor. Hit "Save". This will generate a .DAT File. Now take the new GunData.INI and GunData.Dat File and place it in Your "Objects" Folder of SF2. There's one last Step before You're done. Open the GunData.INI in Windows "NotePad". Next, Click "Save As" and under Encoding, change it from ASCII to Unicode, then "Save". If You are making changes to the SF2 GunData.ini. You have to change it to ASCII, Make the changes with the Editor, "Save", Then change back to Unicode.....

That's it....

I'm totally lost in the soup! I've spent the last half hour trying to do the above and I'm hitting my head off a brick wall. I don't even have the option to change to 'ASCII', it's either ANSI, Unicode, Unicode big endian, or UTF-8. :dntknw:

One trick that works is to set the unit's viewport position at the exact center of the model. For example: viewport position=0.0,0.0,0.0. This only works with standalone models. Ground objects with mutiple guns & gunners (such as ships), seem to work best when the gunner's viewport is located to an elevated position between the gunner's (or gun battery's) turrets.