Sign in to follow this  
ONETINSOLDIER

Dogfights!

I dont care how many times I see these episodes,It amazes me each time. It pulls you in, puts you in the cockpit, and its just like Cunningham says. All your emotions come to the front. Im angry, im sad ,im mad, im happy, hate ,love, fear, bravery. By the time its over, the tears are pouring down my face and im sweating buckets. I dont know wether to cry like a baby or laugh like a madman, and it suddenly hits me. I WOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO DO THIS. I think Ive said this before, but I will say it again. My hat is off to you guys here that have done this in real life, you are better men than I will ever be.

Thank you for all your efforts.

~S~

I've been renting season 2 from Netflix and I agree they're great.

Then I try and replicate them in many sims and get let down by the cobbled-together AI, questionable FMs and DMs, and other technical limitations.

How often in a flight sim will you see 40 planes on each side fight it out with only like 2-3 planes lost on each side? Instead you'll more than likely see 75% shot down...

I feel the same about the Men that went up north in nam :blink: Simply Amazing!!

I've been watching Dogfights also. That show does an amazing job of re-creating the action and their graphics are great.

Cunningham and Driscoll's episode was done very well, To think of downing all those Migs just to get nailed by a Sam shows how murphys law effects even fighter pilots.Its amazing that they could stay in a burning Phantom for as long as they did after the Sam damage. Don't try that in our Sim! :rofl:

Another kinda cool thing is the Legendary Col. Toon (Tomb). No Pilot by that name is listed by the NVAF and Cunningham has been denied access to our intercepted Communications tapes between that pilot and his ground control as not having a "Need to Know." Some people believe that Col. Toon (Tomb) was a name given to Soviet pilots flying North Vietnamese Aircraft, Which would explain why even after Cunningham was a member of congress he was still denied acess to those tapes.

Anyway, The Pilots shown on Dogfights did some pretty incredible things and the History Channel does a great job bringing those fights to life.

It's pretty well made, but very one-sided...

great show... but to go that far to say their better men than you and me?

no doubt they did incredible things in the air but who says we wouldn't have done the same in that situations? or maybe better

if we got the chance... :)

no disrespect or any thing.. just saying ^_^

It's pretty well made, but very one-sided...

Dogfights and Battle 360 has done quite a bit on the Japanese forces in WWII.

Unfortunately though, Germany has done everything in it's power to forget the men who fought for them in WWII. They've even gone as far as removing Mölders's name from Jg-74, despite it being used as a memorial on a Navy destroyer, and an Army Battalion since his death in 1941.

Much of what has been released and shown in books and movies/TV about the Luftwaffe, has been largely based upon research done by historians in the UK and US, so it is of no wonder why these shows lean toward the Allies. I'd love to see more on the WWII Luftwaffe and Soviet Air Force.

-Storm

Don't ever say that you couldn't do it.

You're there because you love to fly. It's not just a job.

You are flying a piece of military hardware,which makes it even better.

You are highly trained and confident in most all situations.

And when you get scared,the adrenalin kicks in.

You think and react faster than even you,yourself,could imagine.

It was the same for Rickenbacker and all the others right up to today.

On TV you see stories of the great Aces. Just think how many other guys,who didn't have as many kills

or who only flew strike,ground support,combat support,helo's or transports felt as they were being shot at.

You never know until you get there. :blink:

Well Doggies! Sometimes being wrong here equals good news.

:ph34r: CL

I'm not watching until they do VA-25s MIG kill on a RESCAP mission in 1965.

@: http://www.midwaysailor.com/midway1960/1960flightops.html

No they didn't shoot it down with thier 38 caliber revolvers.

Did they fly SkyRaiders? I couldn´t check, but may be this was VA-25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njwtQAonthg

Edited by macelena

You Bet!

Thanks large Mac!

Awsome!

I can't believe that engagement got a whole 13 minutes.

I thought for sure all it would get would be a token "A-1 Skyraiders of VA-25 shot down a MIG-17 in 1965, But we got the whole thing.

Some fun lines tho:

"2 North Vietnamese MIGs have the drop on the Skyraiders." :rofl:

" The Skyraiders have one small advantage" :blink: