Sign in to follow this  
sitting_duck

ATI 9.4 drivers

Duck.........anybody loaded 'em in? Better FPS or change worthy of note???........Thanks gaw

ati realeased new drivers (9.4) last week.

yes,,i did..

supposedly auto tune was suppose to be improved...gui was alot different,,took only about 45 mins to complete..(<<< sarcasm) and left me with gpu and mem clock almost maxed out.

was kinda excited till i tried to play the game,,,,and set it back to default right away..

bottom line, im back to the original settings i had with 9.2. and yes,,fps is bout 15% better...but,,as been pointed out before,,,this is just my system (fyi 4870)

Gaw,

Same results here as Sitting Duck. "New improved" autotune took 20 minutes to find optimum settings versus 5 with 9.3. :dntknw: Haven't noticed any real difference in BHaH with any ATI driverset I've tried, including 8.6 through 9.4. Save yourself the effort and don't upgrade.

Cheers

hmmm,,,,not sure if i can agree with you there bird dog,,,,...

gaw,,,if you have 9.3 (which i never had, and seems bird dog did). then might not be a reason to upgrade...but from 9.2 to 9.4 i noticed a pretty good improvement in fps only....artifacts are strill there when i turn my head fast,,etc,,etc.

Thanks for the tip, Duck. But my current setup works well for me, and I'm a great believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

gaw,,,if you have 9.3 (which i never had, and seems bird dog did). then might not be a reason to upgrade...but from 9.2 to 9.4 i noticed a pretty good improvement in fps only....artifacts are strill there when i turn my head fast,,etc,,etc.

Sitting Duck,

We've discussed the artefact from changing views before, and it's usually do to pushing your video card too hard, and you're right, the most recent drivers CAN help.

But I've found that increasing/defragmenting available memory through AlacrityPC or AMD Fusion for Gaming completely eliminates artefacts for me. After playing around with these two utilities, I have permanently disabled several processes (like my wife's iPod services) through msconfig and can now play without the need for either utility. And no artefacts now.

I saw artefacts again last night, due to not having enough memory available. I was in a hurry to try Winston and Rabu's tracer mod, and after downloading their files, started up BHaH while still connected to this forum, without using AlacrityPC or AMD Fusion. When I noticed that it took a while for BHaH to load up, I killed my internet connection, and was able to play a QC mission to test the mod. But for the first time in weeks I saw graphics artefacts again.

So, when Windows maps your video card memory to physical RAM, your video card should work better if you have more RAM available and it's defragmented.

Cheers

well,,let me ask you if you have any idea what is going on here...

I did get memtest86, and will run it tonight before i leave, and also looking for a "quiker" mem tester utilty (if you have any suggestions)...

system is xp64 w/8gig ram

post-45808-1240173047_thumb.jpg

When it runs the defrag, it alwasy stops as shown( 197 of 410), and i get that funky line "free physical memory at end -1 etc etc " at the start of fsautostart and then again after it stops at 197 on the memory.

I take it this is not what i should be seeing when i defrag the memory..and curious why it appears to be only seeing 4gigs of the 8 gigs installed

Edited by sitting_duck

Also, just a reminder, if you decide to upgrade drivers, you'll see a "graphic settings are out of date" when you restart BHaH. You'll then have to reset CFS3Config files through Workshop (this eliminates your pilots, I think) and reset all of your graphics settings, including tweaks.

Cheers

well,,let me ask you if you have any idea what is going on here...

I did get memtest86, and will run it tonight before i leave, and also looking for a "quiker" mem tester utilty (if you have any suggestions)...

system is xp64 w/8gig ram

When it runs the defrag, it alwasy stops as shown( 197 of 410), and i get that funky line "free physical memory at end -1 etc etc " at the start of fsautostart and then again after it stops at 197 on the memory.

I take it this is not what i should be seeing when i defrag the memory..and curious why it appears to be only seeing 4gigs of the 8 gigs installed

Sitting Duck,

Running MemTest on a 64-bit system requires burning a bootable ISO to CD, so that Memtest loads before your operating system. Version 2.11 has support for recent CPUs and DDR3 memory. http://www.memtest.org/#downiso I haven't played around with 64-bit XP, other members might probably be of more help.

Cheers

just as an afterthout, (had it in the back of my mind that fsautostart just might not be fully compatible with xp64), i got alacritypc, and put it on this computer, and it defrags the memory with no problem, and reports as 7.7 gigs....so,,,cant wait to see how game runs...

some of us are of the "tim taylor" type...

just as an afterthout, (had it in the back of my mind that fsautostart just might not be fully compatible with xp64), i got alacritypc, and put it on this computer, and it defrags the memory with no problem, and reports as 7.7 gigs....so,,,cant wait to see how game runs...

some of us are of the "tim taylor" type...

Tim Taylor, aka Sitting Duck

Glad to hear it...that had crossed my mind, too. I'd like to know if BHaH can access more of your memory. Increasing my available memory from 1.54MB to 1.67MB, with all of it defragged makes it run smoother. Most PC programs require unfragmented memory to operate properly.

I'm more of the Tim Rawlins type, aka BirdDogICT

Cheers

Tim Taylor, aka Sitting Duck

Glad to hear it...that had crossed my mind, too. I'd like to know if BHaH can access more of your memory. Increasing my available memory from 1.54MB to 1.67MB, with all of it defragged makes it run smoother. Most PC programs require unfragmented memory to operate properly.

I'm more of the Tim Rawlins type, aka BirdDogICT

Cheers

ok,,not sure if i understand what you mean when you say "increasing my available memory"....I had changed my virtual memory to something (i forget what) but when i got the problems with fsautstart, changed it back to system managed,,,forget what the system set it to...

Also, just a reminder, if you decide to upgrade drivers, you'll see a "graphic settings are out of date" when you restart BHaH. You'll then have to reset CFS3Config files through Workshop (this eliminates your pilots, I think) and reset all of your graphics settings, including tweaks.

Cheers

No you don't. You only have to redo the config settings which you can do with the offconfig.exe. If you saved a copy of your previous config, you can just reuse that, but it takes some finagling of the version numbers. I usually just save screen shots of my config once I get it set right. It's not necessary to reset in the manager which I think you're right, blasts your pilots also.

No you don't. You only have to redo the config settings which you can do with the offconfig.exe. If you saved a copy of your previous config, you can just reuse that, but it takes some finagling of the version numbers. I usually just save screen shots of my config once I get it set right. It's not necessary to reset in the manager which I think you're right, blasts your pilots also.

Hi,

I have always wanted to save config files as "profiles", ie,,have one for quick combat, another for multiplayer. Can you outline exactly what you do to save your config settings?

ok,,not sure if i understand what you mean when you say "increasing my available memory"....I had changed my virtual memory to something (i forget what) but when i got the problems with fsautstart, changed it back to system managed,,,forget what the system set it to...

Sitting Duck,

If you <ctrl><alt><delete> to open Windows Task Manager, and open the Performance tab, you'll see how much free memory you have available. I've found that BHaH doesn't run smoothly until I've reduced process from 41 to 26 and free memory from 1.45 to 1.67 by using AlacrityPC.

If going in to BHaH from a fresh boot, defragmented memory is less of a problem. Memory fragmentation occurs over time as memory is allocated and released by programs. Your computer may have many unused blocks of memory mixed in with the used blocks of memory. Programs need a contiguous area of memory (memory usage by a program cannot be fragmented like data on a disk). When memory becomes highly fragmented and Windows runs out of free memory, programs do not have enough memory to function properly. Overall PC performance declines, and programs may not open or may run slower or frequently crash. That's where AlacrityPC comes in, releasing memory from unneeded process and defragmenting memory.

Hope this helps.

Mr. Lucky,

Glad to know there's an easier way...since my pilots don't last too long, losing one by resetting CFS3Config files is not a problem :biggrin:

Cheers

Hi,

I have always wanted to save config files as "profiles", ie,,have one for quick combat, another for multiplayer. Can you outline exactly what you do to save your config settings?

I have WinXP, so if you have a different OS, you might have to do something different. Once you have your config settings tweaked the way you like them, you need to go to your C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields folder. %username% is whatever your current user login is. Also, you need to have folder options set so you can see system and hidden files.

There will be a file ConfigOverrides.xml which you want to make a copy of. Some people set the attributes to read only as well. Whenever you change config settings this file gets overwritten. Also when you change / update drivers, it get's overwritten by the default config file. Anyway, to put your saved copy back in, first open the current ConfigOverrides.xml with notepad and write down the value under "DeviceID val" about 6 lines from the top. This will be different in your saved file. Next delete the current ConfigOverrides.xml and copy your saved file, renaming it to ConfigOverrides.xml. Open the new ConfigOverrides.xml in notepad and replace the value under DeviceID with the one you wrote down and click file; then save. Your old config should be set then with the new deviceid to keep OFF happy. It all seems a bit convoluted so I've taken to just keeping screen shots of my config once I get it set and use those to rest the config. Seems quicker for me.

You could use this methodology for different profiles naming each copy with the profile you want, but as you see, it's not quick and easy.

HTH.

I installed the new drivers and it put BHAH back in the playable range for me until I upgrade my PC.

Pulled my butt out of the cockpit of the AV8B for Falcon 5.0 and Back in the Albatross DII where it belongs.

Sitting Duck,

I seem to have forgotten that after the last couple of driver releases I was able to bump up my graphics settings. I am now getting 32 FPS in furrballs over the field with sliders at 453354, 4XAA Edge Filter and 8XAF. And on a 3.0GHz Socket 939 machine with a 4870 and AlacrityPC running.

Now if I could just solve my most recent problem....every time I shoot down an EA and take the celebratory swig of beer, my TrackIR view goes way up and I get disoriented. :crazy:

Cheers