Sign in to follow this  
julianm6

Red Eagle Order

I was just awarded the Red Eagle Order when my 30th kill was confirmed. Manfred von Richthofen was awarded that Order after his 70th kill, so I think that's far from reality (actually, MvR was the only WWI fighter pilot who got that medal). I think something should be changed in the way the german medals are awarded. In WWI a german pilot usually also did not have to wait till he had 5 kills untill he got the EKII. The EKI was also not only awarded after 10 kills.

I think, the EK II should be awarded after the first kill (like in RB3d), the EKI after 5 kills. The Royal Hohenzollern House Order should be awarded after 15 kills and the Pour le Merite after 20 kills. To get the Red Eagle Order, you should have shot down at least 70 enemy aircraft like MvR.

Cheers!

No sim has ever even tried to represent all the medals and decorations which were in use in Imperial Germany during the Great War. One must remember that Germany had only fairly recently (1871) become a unified nation, and that all the different principalities and kingdoms that were the building blocks of the new Reich had their own medals still in use in the Prussian-led empire of Wilhelm II. And the requirements did indeed change as the war progressed, so it would definitely be quite hard (or maybe even impossible, I'm no programmer) to implement all of them into OFF.

I think Richthofen was awarded the Red Eagle Order mostly because they were starting to run out of decorations for him, and since he wasn't a general who had won a battle, they couldn't give the Oak Leaf to his Blue Max. I don't think there was any fixed number of kills required to win the Red Eagle Order, as it was awarded only once to a pilot, so if it's the highest German award available in OFF, 30 kills is in my opinion as good a number as any. What if some player wins it early in the war, say 1915 or 1916? 70 kills required sounds to a me bit high requirement for that phase of the war, when you get a Blue Max for a few kills in 1915.

Just my two cents.

(By the way, getting 30 kills is a remarkable achievement in OFF, especially if you play with the DiD settings! Congratulations! I hope to get 15 confirmed kills someday...) :yes:

Of course there was no fixed number of kills a pilot needed to get the Red Eagle Order, but as MvR needed 70, I think that getting it after 30 kills is far from reality (in my campaign it's march 1917 now). There also was no fixed number of kills to get the Pour le Merite. Immelmann and Boelcke got it after 8 kills, MvR after 16, most pilots in 1917 needed 20 kills to get it (Like me, I also got it after 20 kills even if it was in 1916 :yes: ) and in 1918 you usually needed more than 20. I also think that no pilot in WWI had to get 10 kills to get the EKI.

By the way, I don't play DiD as I have "die roll on death" enabled. In DiD it gets quite frustrating when the pilot even dies in a small crash on the airfield...