Sign in to follow this  
abaris

A Few Newby Questions

There are some functions, I don't find in any keycard:

There are these nice fire extinguishers in front of me flying the A10. How can I actually use them?

When I got shot at, I get sometimes the alarm: ECM failure. Does that mean, that the A10 has some kind of Radar distortion. Is it apllied by using the E-key?

Are the flares the only defence, the A10 has?

Finally, since I'm trying to master the A10 first. Are there any downloadable missions for that plane? Don't want to use the campaign for learning.

thx in advance

I don't think you can pull the fire extinguishers. At least I haven't found anybody that knows how to yet. I doubt that they modeled it but just left it in for realism sake. ECM failure is Electronic Counter Measure failure. Usually you'll only get this if your plane is actually hit by flak or a missile. In flight if you hit your E key you will turn on your ECM. It usually won't completely jam the enemy radar but it does help.

If you'd like, PM me your email address and I will try to make some really easy training missions for you. Things like hitting targets with the MAV's.

"Are flares the only defense the A-10 has?"

Against heat seekers, yes. Flares PLUS evasion. Don't forget evasive maneuvers. Flying straight and level dropping flares you'll likely get toasted. You want the flares to be where you ain't! ;)

If you hit the F4 key and press your 'Q' key, you'll notice the flares deploy outboard of the wheel nacells and chaff drops down from the aircrafts centerline. But countermeasures alone will not save your life. For those idiots that think adding them to airliners will make the public safer, you are deluding yourselves. Without adding aggressive flight manouvers to the deployment of countermeasures, you're toast. I'd like to see Hillary's reaction when the pilot of the 767 she is in starts "crankin' and bankin'". With the aggressive manouvers, your chances for survival are increased, but NOT guarenteed.

Know your enemy (or threat), that is the best way to deafeat him (it).

BTW, fire extinguisers are not available in the retail release of LOMAC. I think I saw that someone had asked for it to be added in an upcoming patch. However, I really don't think it'll be in the first one.

Edited by Growler67

Well, thanks everyone.

Silly questions, of course, but the shipped manual isn't really informative, to use a friendly description.

Of course, I do some aggressive maneouvers after attacking a target.

Yeah, just one other one, cause it's a pain in the ass: How do I turn off that voice telling me again and again, what failure I have aquired. Once or twice is just enough.

In your "Options" before starting a mission, go to "Audio". On the right hand side, there are slide bars for various sounds generated by the game. To get 'Betty' to shut up, you have to either set the volume level to it's lowest setting, or uncheck "radio" below the sliders. Hope that helps.

Shift-M acknowledges the malfunction and you can do that easy enough without shutting betty off completely.

-Blackhorse