Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Touching, to see the wingmen landing

How heart touching this was - I've seen my wingmen land!

My neighbour came over to watch the first sortie of my new Jasta 15 pilot.

We are stationed at Le Clos Ferme, Boncourt, 21. July, 1917. Udet is in our Jasta, too.

Near Liesse field, we (3 Albatros D V uprated) spotted 4 Nupe 17, about to attack the

field. We attacked them, and I saw, that these elite Jasta wingmen did far better than

those of a poor or average Jasta.

But the best was, at return, the landing. I said to my neighbour, that they always dissappear

in a distance, instead of landing; but he said, they only do a very wide turn, before they approach

the field to land. So, I went after them, and they seemed to fly away very long.

But then, they performed a turn, and were heading for our field.

I stayed behind them, and so I saw their landing for the very first time.

A very nice scene that was.

I've known that you just have to wait some time before the wingies come back to land, but usually I'm so exhausted after a fierce patrol mission that I won't bother waiting for them. My method is "The first to fight, the first to land." (And quite often the first to die!)

Interesting, I wasn't leading the flight so I followed the rest, thought it only polite to let my leader land first, only everytime I've done that I've followed them back to the field only to watch them all crash just short!!

So haven't bothered since, but if you say they now land....

Cheers

Q

Several times I've landed, parked and switched off the engine to watch my flight come back and land only to witness a horrible scene happening next.

The first plane lands and stops, then the second plane lands and crashes into the first, then the third plane lands and crashes into the wreckage of the first two. :dntknw:

Well, in my case, we were 3 Albatros only. I let the wingies land first, and they did fine;

I landed a bit sidewards, but they slowly rolled behind each other, without crashing.

Well, in my case, we were 3 Albatros only. I let the wingies land first, and they did fine;

I landed a bit sidewards, but they slowly rolled behind each other, without crashing.

I saw the same thing one time, flying for 56 squadron. You have to be careful though, because quite often the AI planes crash instead of land. I've lost wingmen and squad mates that way. Now, I exit as soon as I land and shut down.

I'm in the habbit now of exiting out as soon as im clear of the combat area and safely headed for my home field. Some bug in windows vista has ruined many a mission by simply shutting the game down and kicking ya to the desktop. Kind of a bummer as it is always plesant to fly home with your buddies after a succesful sortie.

S!