Sign in to follow this  
firehawkordy

Which Flight Sim Should I Get 1st

Okay, my wife said I have to make a decision and pick just one. I already have two combat sims. So I what should I get, FS 2004 or LOMAC? :)

Not sure about lomac but FS 2004 is fantastic...the add-ons,the terrains,just everything about the sim is first rate.if you want another combat sim...IL2 forgotten Battles get my vote.

Get FS2004. You won't be sorry. There are already hundreds of free available addons for it: scenery, aircraft, utilities, etc....

You won't be disappointed.

Navy Chief

Sorry,

I've never seen the need to fly an aircraft without the ability to shoot something. If it doesn't have guns I don't fly it. Kinda humerous huh, but I get plenty of navigational training flying to a target. LOMAC is cool, but requires alot of gaming horsepower to run it.

Had FS2004, but gave it to my brother in law. :huh:

Salute and REFUSE TO LOSE

Chain

Hey, Chaingun, let's not knock FS2004. Just think, you can fly a 747 from London to New York in real time. You can do 'touch and go' in a modern jet fighter. All the time with great frame rates and beautiful scenery. No noisey weapons to disrupt the serenity. No harrowing dogfights. No tanks blowing up in front of you. No missiles to evade. Oh for the quiet life! ;)

So here's the consensus, firehawk. Both are extremely beautiful, with great aircraft and multiplayer.

FS2004 Pros: good scenery, lots of addons, and it doesn't take a super computer to run it (though I would still advise having a good computer).

FS2004 Cons: No action. :P

LOMAC Pros: you get to blow stuff up :) campaigns are coming out everyday, extremely detailed scenery.

LOMAC Cons: It seems to be selective about which computers it'll run on, and there arn't addons (with the exceptions of repaints and missions).

So basically, it boils down to whether or not you want to blow stuff up or not. If yes, LOMAC, if not, FS2004 ;)

Well done, PG Raptor! ;)

Yeah, it's simple. Do you like burning paint off the wall or do you like watching it dry? :lol:

(Uh oh! I'm goin straight to hell now. I just know it :unsure: )

Thanks for the help.I made up my mind and it's going to be...........................................FS2004.

As much as I like blowing things up I do have fond memories of the first Flight Simulator way back when and when I saw the sreenies that Navychief posted,well that clinched it. Thank you for your help and opinions,Merry Christmas .

Mad Jeff you may lock this if you want. :)

you can't go wrong with that choice...I mean just flying thru the mountains for the pure joy of flying is great.and interactive ATC and real time weather updated every 15 mins and well you get the picture...I'll send you a link or 2 or 3 or so for add-on aircraft.

Glad you were able to reach a decision, firehawkordy. I'm sure that you'll really enjoy FS2004. :D

See, I figured that no matter which way you went, in the long run, you couldn't lose. You never asked which sim you should get and which sim you should never get. You asked, "Which flight sim should I get FIRST" ;)

Have a very merry Christmas and a great new year. Keep your canopy out of the dirt no matter what you are flying. :D

Enjoy FS,

It is a great sim. AO1 Jones, we had one of those in VF-11 during my time in, back in the mid 80's.

Salute

Chain

FS 2004 is great. I don't feel the need to blow up everything on every occasion and the perfectly modeled planes are a real challenge to fly.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy IL2FB and LoMac. It's just quite another challenge to land a 747 safely.

I haven't picked up FS2004 yet, but I do have FS2000 and 2002 Pro. There are some pretty boring flights at times, but if you turn on failures or fly in bad weather it can be very exciting trying to land in one piece. ;)

I haven't picked up FS2004 yet, but I do have FS2000 and 2002 Pro.  There are some pretty boring flights at times, but if you turn on failures or fly in bad weather it can be very exciting trying to land in one piece. ;)

You shouldn't do a nonstop ride form Sidney to JFK then. I usually do small bits, cause the interesting parts are takeoffs and landings and navigation between VORs.

I have to be able to blow things up and shoot things down. I'm taking my medications and my therapist is doing the best that he can. :D

I do like flying some of the larger planes. In other sims I have flown big bombers. It's a nice change of pace. Completely different kind of challenge. The most fun is when the fighters come after you. Man, they really get pissed if you shoot 'em down, he he! :lol:

If you want a good civilian flight sim, the hands down winner is X-Plane version 7. Just make sure you get the whole 8 CD set. MSFS series has nice eye candy, but if you want more realistic flight and weather modeling, the ability to not only fly on earth, but in space and on Mars, then there is only one choice. Plus, X-Plane has the ability to design and test aircraft designs before they go into production. (There are actual airplanes out there flying that got their start on X-Plane.) Sorry if I mucked you your choices, but the world doesn't revolve around Microsoft. X-Plane is much more than a flight sim though, it's an aviation tool. You better plan on 20 gigs of hard drive space minimum for this puppy, I'd suggest 40 gigs.

If you want a good civilian flight sim, the hands down winner is X-Plane version 7.  Just make sure you get the whole 8 CD set.  MSFS series has nice eye candy, but if you want more realistic flight and weather modeling, the ability to not only fly on earth, but in space and on Mars, then there is only one choice.  Plus, X-Plane has the ability to design and test aircraft designs before they go into production.  (There are actual airplanes out there flying that got their start on X-Plane.)  Sorry if I mucked you your choices, but the world doesn't revolve around Microsoft.  X-Plane is much more than a flight sim though, it's an aviation tool.  You better plan on 20 gigs of hard drive space minimum for this puppy, I'd suggest 40 gigs.

Holy s**t! :blink:

yes X-plane is nice but a couple things turned me against it...1st as you said it's HUGE...I've got a great sim and I know theres some unrealistic FMs and to be honest I really don't it to be that real.I just want to fly and have fun...and the FS series has done that..and you can get real world weather updated every 15 mins and the ATC interaction is fun.

I'm not taking anything from X-planes it's a great sim but for my likes I just perfer FS.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Well it's Christmas and I got the flightsim I asked for.I got FS2004 after reading what everyone was kind enough to post,thank one and all.It's all loaded up and registered and good to go. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to fly a cross country.Lets see what a King Air can do. :P :P B)