Sign in to follow this  
Emp_Palpatine

Book advices

Well, a year ago, I asked if Turtledove's Southern Victory books were worth reading, and some here told me to try it. I dit it, and it seriously rocked!

Since January, I'm done with the 10 books of this timeline...

And I haven't started a new saga since then.

As I would like to continue my reading in english, I would like to ask you guys, from the US, UK, Commonwealth Kingdoms or other english speaking countries some advices.

Something like Turtledove (or even other Turtledove's works) will do the trick: alternate-history; historical novel, sci-fi...

Thanks!

Well, in an "alternate universe" vein, WITH lots of flying and aircraft, you can't go far wrong with Mack Maloney's "The Wingman" series; post WW3 world. They could actually be considered a 'pulp type' fiction, but I like em!! Most are VERY difficult to find, with one volume completly missing/long out of print

"Hogs" series (a-10s in gulf war one) by James Ferro (consider it semi-historical, that's what I'm talking about)

There's another Turtledove series, taking place on a world were magic has real power, with a 3-way world war ... can't remember the titles, and I never finished the series. But they were good, and you could see the parallels with WW2.

A stand alone novel of his "Case of the Toxic Spell Dump" is a 'modern' America (actually taking place in Los Angeles!!!), where magic has rule; along with all the gods and demons associated with it. (a greatly funny scene with succubi protesting at the Federal Building -- which is across the street from where by wife works!!)

Another is "The 2 Georges", where the American Colonies resolved their differences with England during the Revoloutany War, and we have British Ruled America -- actually VERY good!!!

The "Axis of Time" series by John Birmingham; a post-modern (2020s) UN naval group is thrown back in time to the Battle of Midway; with the resultant reording of history, and the introduction of modern tech into that time environment ... and interesting series (3 books??? disremember)

for pure sci-fi, Cole & Bunch's "Sten" series -- one can definatly see the WW2 stories in several of the books

There's many more that I'm sure I'm forgetting...

wrench

kevin stein

ps: in the USA/CSA novels, did you catch the character "Irving Morrell"??? Wasn't too hard to figure out WHO he was supposed to be!!

ps: in the USA/CSA novels, did you catch the character "Irving Morrell"??? Wasn't too hard to figure out WHO he was supposed to be!!

Sounds sooooooo much like Erwin Rommel! :biggrin:

Thanks for your advices!

Well, maybe the Two Georges then.

Axis of Time seems interesting too. I'm also wondering about Turtledove Atlantis stuff...

I was also planning to start, at last, Azimov, but I'm afraid it might be a little bit tough in english, even if my reading is fluent now.

That's a good idea too!

I enjoyed the master and commander movie and was told, at the time, that the novels were (as usual) far better. It's definitely on my short list.

That's a good idea too!

I enjoyed the master and commander movie and was told, at the time, that the novels were (as usual) far better. It's definitely on my short list.

Plus, they have the advantage of being actual literature, so the English is more refined that what you might find in a regular pulp novel.

Is Turtledove a "pulp novelist"? I know he is sort of a pope of alternate history, but how is he seen?

I had no problem at all reading the novels, but my reading was strong already. My weakness is my spoken english (accent...so hard to emulate for a french speaker) and my writing as I tend to emulate french while writing (whereas I understand spoken english without difficulties now). The most difficult reading I made was Mary Chestnuts' Diary from Dixie. She used a style so different of what I'm used... But it was an awesome reading!