Sign in to follow this  
Panama Red

Easy way to increased OFF FPS

I recently applied all the graphic "tweaks" to stop the "stuttering" and low FPS when flying at low altitude, but I found another one that increased my FPS from 5 to 10 FPS above all the other "tweaks". :good:

The improvement that I tried in the "Override" section was "Disabling Shadows" and it improved my FPS by at least 10 when looking at my flightmates on the ground and by 5 when looking at them at low altitude (running the exact same test multiple times).

The reason that I tried this is that shadows really eat up FPS in a lot of my other games (flight and ground combat) so I thought I would give it a shot in this game too and it to made a big difference. I figured since you only see shadows when taking off or flying real low (and even then, not all objects have shadows, only those close to the airfield and planes), I could use the extra FPS to smooth out the game.

Give it a try and see if it improves your FPS that the game is a lot more enjoyable. :biggrin:

Tally Ho !!!

Hey Panama Red, where have you been hiding all the time? :dntknw: Welcome, I think a lot of the old timers here will remember you.

Btw, nice tip.

Cheers

Gremlin

I've had shadows disabled for awhile. They seem to be a system resource hog no matter what game I play. Even on my GTX280 I disabled them in Age of Conan and Lord of the Rings Online and things sped up nicely. Anytime I notice low frame rates, shadows are the first to go. It usually ends up being a nice little boost.

/salute

Hellshade

Wow..haven't seen that name posted in 8-9 years! Great to see you surfacing on OFF!

For those that don't know, this is one of the Red Baron sim "legends" (I am assuming it is one and the same Panama Red?) ;>)

Regards,

Royce

Wow..haven't seen that name posted in 8-9 years! Great to see you surfacing on OFF!

For those that don't know, this is one of the Red Baron sim "legends" (I am assuming it is one and the same Panama Red?) ;>)

Regards,

Royce

Hey, nice to see ya Royce... last time I saw you kicking around you were still a lowly Lt. :biggrin:

Gee... Royce, Panama Red... its turning into a regular old home week around here! Makes me want to go fiddle with some FMs LOL......

WvB

cptroyce:

Yes, the same Panama Red and after all these years and all the other games I have played (and tinkered with), I still love good WW1 flight games. :good:

I am just hoping that OFF will some day have as many planes as the Red Baron Western Front team was finally able to incorporate into the game.

Tally Ho !!!!

It's funny that you mention not seeing shadows except when on takeoff or low to the ground. I was fighting QC just yesterday and was in a N17Lewis, which is new to me, and not the best in terms of visibility, with that dumb target cone and the gun right up there where I usually look to try to see the plane I'm chasing. I was fighting a couple of Alb.DIIs and having a hard time keeping track of them when they were fairly close because they kept flying where my wings or Lewis gun blanketed them, or they low scissored and slowed down faster than I could, and so I had trouble keeping track while they were basically under me. And then I noticed that I could keep track of them by watching their shadows. I was just looking down on both sides while turning trying to spot one under me, and noticed his shadow and knew immediately how to position myself to get back on his tail.

I was thinking how great this sim is that I can track a plane by its shadow. We weren't that low, but the sun was out and we were over fields instead of forests, and I started looking for the shadows when I lost track of the planes momentarily. It worked pretty nicely.

I'm not saying this is something you'll use all the time. Given the weather in the campaign lately for me, I couldn't use it much at all there. And if you need the FPS, turn them off, certainly. But they do serve a role in the game, I think. And that's darned impressive!

WvB! .. Looks like a "class reunion" LOL

Great to see you and Panama Red posting here. The FM editor for OFF is great and easily used; if one is so inclined. No more "blind reverse engineering". ;>)

I haven't experimented with it..I want a life and it's all I can do to survive in OFF.

Panama Red - Hopefully more and more planes will make their way into OFF..The Western Front team took years as I recall, to build and FM the many many a/c included in it.

Regards,

Royce