Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

91 yrs ago today

The jolly old Red Baron himself, copped a packet.... to the relief no doubt of the Royal Flying Corps (or possibly RAF by then?)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

91 years ago the master met his end. not yet. in 39 minutes (11:50 gmt) 91 years ago. he said his final words, lying on the ground fataly wounded. "kaputt".

rip mvr

Right now, then. Yes, I heard, that "kaputt" (broken) was his last word; and each time I remember that,

a shudder and a gooseskin appear.

Rest in peace, hunter.

Oh Yes!... Maths was never a strong point!! :smile:

Come on, who would say Kaput when they are about to die? :biggrin: but then again...

History is full of stories about the last words of famous people. I think many of these stories, if not most, are nothing but legend. I've seen quite a few people die in the hospital, and not many of them have ever said anything recognizable before they passed away, especially if they've been badly hurt in some accident.

But I digress. Freiherr von Richthofen was a remarkable fighter pilot, the Ace of Aces. :salute:

History is full of stories about the last words of famous people. I think many of these stories, if not most, are nothing but legend. I've seen quite a few people die in the hospital, and not many of them have ever said anything recognizable before they passed away, especially if they've been badly hurt in some accident.

But I digress. Freiherr von Richthofen was a remarkable fighter pilot, the Ace of Aces. :salute:

in the documentation where norman franks and some other scientists and a sharpshooter analized the last flight with help of programmers and witnesses and so on, they talked to the guy who was the first person who arrived the crashsite. he was over 100 years old when he got interviewed and he said, he only was able to say "kaputt" and passed away. one must know that nowadays in germany kaputt means only broken related to things, like cars or devices or tv's and stuff like this. but in those days it was also used for living beeings when dead or mortally wounded. i think MvR realized he was about to die and said kaputt, translated into english with the meaning "i am done".

Quite sad really!...Unless you were one of his 80 victims

Quite sad really!...Unless you were one of his 80 victims

Or as he himself put it, "his friends". Kind of a narcissist really.... but as Freud would say, who isn't?!

But don't forget, it's also 173 years today since the greatest country in the world, my native Texas, won her independence in the swamps at San Jacinto. :HB: Texas! :drinks:

No doubt BH! If you had not mentioned it, I would've forgotten. My Texas history is really rusty. Maybe I should go home and take a refresher course. I've been to San Jacinto many times. Living in Pasadena, I wasn't far away.

CJ

But don't forget, it's also 173 years today since the greatest country in the world, my native Texas, won her independence in the swamps at San Jacinto. :HB: Texas! :drinks:

Was that the War of Independence against the British?

(pardon my ignorance)

I thought that was in the 1700's

No, Texas declared it's independence from Mexico March 2, 1836. For nine years, until 1845, it was known as The Republic of Texas. It's the only state in the Union that was an independent nation at one time. April 21, 1836 is when General Sam Houston and the Army of Texas kicked the crap out of General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna and the Mexican Army. The battle lasted 18 minutes. Hundreds of Mexican soldiers were killed but the Texans lost only nine. "Don't Mess with Texas!"

CJ

PS: From what I hear, they're talking about a repeat performance. This is the latest comment from Governor Rick Perry of Texas.......

Governor Rick Perry (R-TX) offers support for a bipartisan resolution in the Texas legislature in support of states’ rights under the 10th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. Governor Perry says: “I believe that our federal government has become oppressive in its size, its intrusion into the lives of our citizens, and its interference with the affairs of our state.”

GO TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Cameljockey

No, I think, against the Mexicans that was. Or do I mix up things?

I always read the name Fort Alamo - what was that fight then. Bullet?

Thanks for that!..So, was it the same conflict as the Alamo?

The Battle lasted 18 minutes?..Hundreds of Mexican's killed?... Geez!..What were they using?...Napalm?

The Alamo (Mission San Antonio de Valero) was a mission outside San Antonio where 182 volunteers, including William B. Travis, Jim Bowie, and Davey Crockett, held off the Mexican Centralist Army of Santa Anna for 13 days. The Alamo fell in the early morning hours of March 6, 1836. This prompted the battle cry "Remeber the Alamo" at the Battle of San Jacinto in April, 1836.

CJ

Maybe they already had something similar to Dicta Boelke.

- Attacked right out of the sun

- Had advantage of height

- Only shot when the enemy was close enough

Was that the War of Independence against the British?

Yes. Happened right after Cromwell signed the Magna Carta.