Sign in to follow this  
atoll1

Stretched Sun anyone?

Given the current patch in WoX (not SF2), can one change how round the sun is i.e., stretched or compressed horizontally? If so, which line is it in the environment config file that controls the horizontal stretching of the sun?

My problem is that when I try to play WoX on a wide screen or on a TripleHead2Go, I've been able to set the sim up so everything looks great and at the correct aspect ratio at say 3072x768 - the planes, groundobjects, trees, landscape, even clouds, but the sun itself is no longer round, and instead, stretched horizontally. In other words, the sun is now an oval.

If I could change a config file line that compensates and compresses only the shape of the sun (not the other objects i.e., not the generic aspect ratio in the game menu or in the config file), it would solve the problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :good:

I would doubt that 3072 x 768 is a "correct aspect ratio" - that's 4:1 whereas a more normal 1650 x 1050 is 1.6:1

I would doubt that 3072 x 768 is a "correct aspect ratio" - that's 4:1 whereas a more normal 1650 x 1050 is 1.6:1

I set the aspect ratio to 4:3 and literally, everything else looks great and fine. Only the stretched sun (please attached small 35k image). Thanks again in advance for any suggestions on which line to modify for the sun...

post-7171-1240495636_thumb.jpg

I set the aspect ratio to 4:3 and literally, everything else looks great and fine. Only the stretched sun (please attached small 35k image). Thanks again in advance for any suggestions on which line to modify for the sun...

So your original 3072 x 768 is a typo??

super-massive object in close solar orbit, maybe??? Neutron star? quantum black hole?? :dntknw:

wrench

kevin sten

super-massive object in close solar orbit, maybe??? Neutron star? quantum black hole?? :dntknw:

wrench

kevin sten

Errr, when I chased the object, it disabled all my electronic systems, radar, and weapons. It came to a standstill and then sped off into space. I couldn't follow it.... :no:

So your original 3072 x 768 is a typo??

Actually, 3072 X 768 is one of the resolutions I tried it at. Everything looks great, except the stretched sun. If nothing else, I hope this post will be helpful for those who will (or have encountered it).

I have it at 3072x768 and tested it with different aspect ratios. 4:3 works best. My guess is that 3072/3=1024 and 1024x768 is a 4:3 aspect ratio, so in a roundabout sorta way, 3072 is based on 1024.

Still hoping for a line in one of the config files to edit the sun's dimensions....anyone, anyone, Bueller?

Edited by atoll1

Short of creating sun (and moon) tgas that are specifically tailored to that res, no.

3072x768 is not a typo, it's (they are...) 3 1024x768 screens one next to the other...

desktop.jpg

Matrox_display_properties.jpg

WingsOverEurope_Single.jpg

WingsOverEurope_Triple.jpg

Roger that. Never seen triplehead2go before! I'd rather just upsize my monitor.

3072x768 is not a typo, it's (they are...) 3 1024x768 screens one next to the other...

Did you notice the same stretching sun issue too?

Short of creating sun (and moon) tgas that are specifically tailored to that res, no.

Hmmm...thanks!...off the bat, do you know which tgas could be experimented with?

I wonder aloud if there's also a way to affect the sun flare (since it looks stretched too as the other pic above shows; getting picky here, I know). But like I said before, if nothing else, this thread might help others who are or will encounter this. I can't count the number of times I've searched for an issue and found it in a thread, and not have to bother others about it! :ok:

Roger that. Never seen triplehead2go before! I'd rather just upsize my monitor.

Exactly what kind of monitor did you have in mind :rolleyes: ...............I guess the only other way to acheive this would be a projector

Exactly what kind of monitor did you have in mind :rolleyes: ...............I guess the only other way to acheive this would be a projector

Just to go from 22" to 24" would be enough for me.