Sign in to follow this  
Madmatt

Slight Immersion Killer, abrupt mission ends

Overall I applaud OFF for its tons of immersion and enjoyable gameplay, but I have noticed that when really bad things occur, for example when my plane catches on fire and explodes, or a wing rips off and I BEGIN to tumble toward the earth below, or if my pilots body gets riddled with enemy bullets and yells his death scream, it seems that the sim VERY abruptly exits out of the flying engine code and drops me back into the OFF manager system with nary a chance to sit and dwell on my former pilots death.

In Phase 2, this didn't happen so abruptly and I was given a chance to watch the smouldering ruination that had once been my plane and pilot.

I assume that this is just a byproduct of Phase 3 only needing the CFS3 game engine for the flying parts, but it would be appreciated if the game didn't drop out of flight mode QUITE so quickly when my pilot crashed or was killed.

Any chance some slight delay could be implemented so that the flight engine didn't immediately exit back into the OFF manager as it does now?

I have been dogfights that my plane was struck by enemy shells and before I knew what happened I was back in the OFF Manager reading about my pilots demise. I guess my point is that when the game exits out of the 3D mode so quickly it causes a loss of immersion and I get somewhat frustrated that I was denied the "closure" of seeing my guy barrel into the ground.

Ideally, it would be nice if when a player crashed or was killed or the pilot was wounded, the player could opt to STAY in the flight engine mode until they decided to exit back out to the OFF manager. Even if the view was locked and i wasn't able to see anything else, other than the crash site, I would still prefer being able to exit back out on my own terms.

Perhaps thats not possible with the CFS3 code, I don't know, but it did seem like in Phase 2 at least, the dropping back into the manager wasn't as abrupt as it is now. I thought that it actually showed the crash site until I manually exited out.

Maybe I am just spoiled from all the other flight sims that let me sit and stare at the big pile of rubble and debris that was once the pilot that I had such high hopes for, only moments before everything went down the crapper.

By the way, I did try both the options in the workshop that are supposed to control wheter or not the game exists back out to the CFS3 frontend or the OFF Manager. I noticed no difference with either setting.

Just my observations, for what they are worth.

Madmatt

I agree with you (and I remember Siggi pointed this out too)

It certainly does kill the Immersion a lot!..And I hope the Devs plan to change it in the future??

It would kill the immersion if you were to live through it. That is to say that if your pilot doesn’t die and you’re ready to fly the next sortie. But if you die then you lived long enough to the point where it ended. I do understand your wish to see the end to the END. I too want to watch the spiraling down and auguring in. Especially if I can capture it with Fraps.

I reality, though, once you are dead, you won't likely see the plane auger in.

I know why it can't be done (would mean allowing CFS3 more integration into the OFF manager than is ideal), but I would dearly like to be able to fight my plane all the way down until it hits the deck, and not have the sim decide for me that it's futile.

Maybe it can be done by making each plane's DM so that it can never be 100% damaged (max 99%)? A way of tricking the CFS3 code as it were, so the cut-off can't be triggered but the plane still falls out of the sky.

I know why it can't be done (would mean allowing CFS3 more integration into the OFF manager than is ideal), but I would dearly like to be able to fight my plane all the way down until it hits the deck, and not have the sim decide for me that it's futile.

Maybe it can be done by making each plane's DM so that it can never be 100% damaged (max 99%)? A way of tricking the CFS3 code as it were, so the cut-off can't be triggered but the plane still falls out of the sky.

Hmm... Now there's a thought! :good:

I agree, and I don't know if it's possible, but good idea Siggi. :good:

Yes..I think Siggi may have hit on the solution. Seems technically reasonable?

Royce

This may be possible via editing of the .xdp files. After backing up the existing .xdp file, open up the .xdp file and navigate towards the end of the file after the damage box section (look for </DamageBoxes>) to the <Systems> section. Turn on the search and replace function and replace all instances of "100" with "99." Save file. Fly. See what happens. :wink:

Basically then you will be destroyed with 99 not 100. Won't affect this what so ever.

The idea above is not possible currently you can't be "almost killed" or almost dead, we need to know if you are dead or not..

As I said in another thread we won't be changing it soon it's a design decision based on other factors within CFS3. It may be possible to extend the time a little, but maybe in a future addon or P4.