Hi all,

After the noise of a jet going trough Mach 1 this morning, I had an idea:

I was wondering, if there is any possibility to add a sonic boom effect to WoE. Just like the LEX- effect in WoI for the F-16A Netz.

Or is there already a mod and I haven't seen it?

Thanks

By the way. The soonic boom sound the pilot will never hear. Its simply physics.

Unless your like doing something external or something, :/

Edited by i fight by 1

Right now it's not possible , or I'm a newbie

Edited by CA_Stary

Well I think it could maybe be possible (I'm a nooblet ftw though), but you wouldn't hear it anyway, so there is no point for it, nice idea though man.

Actually, I did it and we discuss it a couple of days ago >here<.

But for some reason the boom sounds distorted after the first plane goes over mach 1. So, my wingmen's sonic boom sounds more like a weep than a boom, properly speaking.

Tonight I'll try to fix it...

Hmm that would be cool, especially the vapours resulting the braking!!!

Oh and IMO, the external/internal thing is not quite valid as pilot can't check out how cool his plane looks like when flying but we do it regulary, 149 pages in screenshot threads pretty much prove that lol

Edited by Brain32

Hmm that would be cool, especially the vapours resulting the braking!!!

Yeah, that's what I'm actually looking for. I would be neat if you could see how you are breaking the speed barrier. I'm not so interested in a sound either, because if you are inside, you hear that you are flying above Mach 1. But if there is a modification too, just tell me. I think it would be a little detail for more 'realism'.

As there is no "trigger event" coded into the series, getting a true sonic-boom sound effect (or a transonic vapor effect) is for all practical purposes, a no go. Three years ago, I mixed a sonic boom sound that worked in conjunction with a modified (extended) Doppler entry in the flightengine and soundlist.ini files. A few of you may remember the movie file I uploaded (it should still be on our server). The drawback to it was, of course that it sounded corny at any speed above or below the transonic regions, and you could still "hear"as an aircraft was approaching you at Mach 1+.

Until such time as TK adds the necessary parameters into the game engine, this is pretty much just for grins and giggles.

Ummm... Pilots do not very often "see" how they break the sound barrier... That vapour thing is not directly related with sound barrier itself, but with pressure/humidity and moreover, is not directly attached to a specific speed but a combination of this and the other two.

Other than that, I'm working in the sound thing, so, still no transonic vapour effects...

"trigger event"

Trigger event, or lack of, is the answer.