Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

28" widescreen monitor rocks! (for pretty cheap too!)

I just went to CompUSA and got a 28" Widescreen flatpanel monitor with 3 ms refresh rate, 1920 x 1200 res and 800:1 contrast (2400:1 using something called X-Contrast) for just $349! Feels like I'm sitting right in the cockpit now for sure! Just amazing. It wasn't that long ago I paid $299 for my 22" widescreen. It kinda dominates my desk, but man is gaming totally immersive now. I figure I'll need the bigger screen area as I get older so I can see the Enemy Aircraft to shoot them. It's my only hope. LOL Anyways, if you are looking for a bargin, I'd say this monitor is hard to beat. Mine has one dead pixel but it's it the far upper right hand corner of the screen so I really don't notice it at all. Too much else to look at.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/Search...mp;Sku=H94-2801

/salute

Hellshade

Grrrrrrrrrrr

I saw that........the "off brand" scared me,,,so i went for the 24 acer,,,,,,what u gonna do about the pixel...keep it?..

but,,glad your enjoying it..

Edited by sitting_duck

Grrrrrrrrrrr

I saw that........the "off brand" scared me,,,so i went for the 24 acer,,,,,,what u gonna do about the pixel...keep it?..

but,,glad your enjoying it..

Oh I am definately keeping it. The one bad pixel is located in the far, upper right hand corner. Truth be told I hardly ever notice it unless I'm on a still screen with lots of black in that area (such as with the OFF spash screen). I don't see it at all when playing games. It may be an off brand, but apparently it's the same exact monitor as a Hanns-G which is the best 28" available on Newegg.com right now. I got it at CompUSA figuring if I didn't like it, I could always just bring it right back. Hard to say no at that point. I had a 22" Dell which was pretty good, but when I saw this I jumped at it. Glad I did.

/salute

Hellshade

Oh I am definately keeping it. The one bad pixel is located in the far, upper right hand corner. Truth be told I hardly ever notice it unless I'm on a still screen with lots of black in that area (such as with the OFF spash screen). I don't see it at all when playing games. It may be an off brand, but apparently it's the same exact monitor as a Hanns-G which is the best 28" available on Newegg.com right now. I got it at CompUSA figuring if I didn't like it, I could always just bring it right back. Hard to say no at that point. I had a 22" Dell which was pretty good, but when I saw this I jumped at it. Glad I did.

/salute

Hellshade

I hope autostereoscopic monitors will come on the market some time. Unfortunately, due to the global financial crisis, Philips has stopped its WOWvx technology - and Pioneer has decided to shut down all its TV factories. So I don't think we'll see any autostereoscopic monitors any time soon. :(

I bought an Acer 22" last year after my two year old 19" LCD dropped dead on me and it was out of warrenty by a month. Then the Acer had a PS problem and I had to ship it back to their service center for warrenty repair.. took about a week. From now on I am going to wait till local discount stores have something on sale where I can buy an extended warranty that includes an instant swap out if the monitor fails. The e-warrenties aren't that expensive and if you have ever been with out a monitor while waiting for repairs, it isn't worth it, IMHO.

The 28" monitor looks great though, wish I had one too. :good:

Hi,

did you notice a drop in fps with that beast?

I got up to 45-50 after i did alacritypc, then dropped back to 25 or so when i went from a 21 crt (1600x1200)to a 24 lcd (1900X1080)

Hi,

did you notice a drop in fps with that beast?

I got up to 45-50 after i did alacritypc, then dropped back to 25 or so when i went from a 21 crt (1600x1200)to a 24 lcd (1900X1080)

A little bit. 1920 x 1200 native resolution. But if I put it back to 1680 x 1050 it still looks fantastic, even at 8xQ. What I have noticed though is suddenly I have the occassional screen studder back. max FPS is still set to 30. Can only get rid of it completely by turning scenery down to 1, although it is certainly more than playable at 2 and 3. Just installed the newest Nvidia drivers, motherboard drivers (Nvidia 680i SLI chipset) and updated the bios. Not sure what I have to do to get rid of it. Running a Dual Core 2 Duo @ 3.16Ghz, 3 GB RAM, 1 GB GTX280, Vista 32 bit. I wonder how much upgrading to Vista 64 bit and adding another 2 - 3 GB of RAM would help.

/salute

Hellshade

A little bit. 1920 x 1200 native resolution. But if I put it back to 1680 x 1050 it still looks fantastic, even at 8xQ. What I have noticed though is suddenly I have the occassional screen studder back. max FPS is still set to 30. Can only get rid of it completely by turning scenery down to 1, although it is certainly more than playable at 2 and 3. Just installed the newest Nvidia drivers, motherboard drivers (Nvidia 680i SLI chipset) and updated the bios. Not sure what I have to do to get rid of it. Running a Dual Core 2 Duo @ 3.16Ghz, 3 GB RAM, 1 GB GTX280, Vista 32 bit. I wonder how much upgrading to Vista 64 bit and adding another 2 - 3 GB of RAM would help.

/salute

Hellshade

Hellshade, I noticed a return of stutters as well a few weeks back when I upgraded my 8800GT drivers. With Nvidia drivers, they really are never meant to *upgrade in place*, rather it's always best to uninstall them completely, then use a driver sweeper program (I use the one recommended on www.guru3d.com, Driver Sweeper) and then reboot and reinstall them fresh.

Once I did that, my stutters went away. Might be worth a try to see if it helps you out as well.

For whatever reason, some games just perform better doing that than others and unless I am feeling really lazy (which I was when I upgraded that one time), I always do a fresh install of video drivers as opposed to installing them on top of older versions.

Madmatt

madmatt....good to see you around

ever going to see you in a game again?

Hellshade, we are pretty close in systems, i have 3.16 e8500 and an ati4870 with xp64 and 8gig ram.

I run at 5-4-4-3-5, with no problems other than the arifacts when i turn my head fast with trackir.

Cant say for sure if more memory is going to help you, but if madmats suggestion doesnt help, and you cant get beyond 2 on the scenery, would assume it would.

Edited by sitting_duck

madmatt....good to see you around

ever going to see you in a game again?

Hey SD, I meant to try and get on Sunday and began playing solo to pass the time, but I was so involved with my own campaign that by the time I came back to check to see what the IP was, you guys were already done for the night. ;)

Also, not being able to get MP to work under Win 7 is a pain, even though I can still dual boot into XP on this system.

Madmatt

Hellshade, I noticed a return of stutters as well a few weeks back when I upgraded my 8800GT drivers. With Nvidia drivers, they really are never meant to *upgrade in place*, rather it's always best to uninstall them completely, then use a driver sweeper program (I use the one recommended on www.guru3d.com, Driver Sweeper) and then reboot and reinstall them fresh.

Once I did that, my stutters went away. Might be worth a try to see if it helps you out as well.

For whatever reason, some games just perform better doing that than others and unless I am feeling really lazy (which I was when I upgraded that one time), I always do a fresh install of video drivers as opposed to installing them on top of older versions.

Madmatt

That was the cure. Uninstalled the drivers. Used drive sweeper. Installed fresh drivers and now I am running at 4-4-4-4-5-4 with high ground density at 31 FPS and no stutter at all at 1680 x 1050! It looks simply amazing. I'll have to try it again at 1920 x 1200 and see if any stutter shows up then. Regardless, it looks just jaw droppingly beautiful and runs so smooth even with 10 aircraft on the screen and a ton of ground scenery. To me, smooth flight without the stutter is necessary to keep me immersed in the game. Gives me the real feeling of flight. Thanks Madmatt. Now OFF looks and plays better than I could have possibly imagined.

/salute

Hellshade