Sign in to follow this  
Luiz Carlos

Medals?

I´m flying with RNAS as usual ( I love their planes)

Now I have a 21 kills confirmed and received four DFC.There is no other medals, or this is a bug that repeats the same medal all the time?

Anybody knows what kind of medals we have in game by service and what´s necessary to earn a medal?

I think a DFC is earned for each 5 kills, am I right?

But I´m not sure if this is realistic or if was this way in WW1.( an English ace with a 60 kill tally had 12 DFCs?)

But where are all my Wound Badges in Gold, my Purple Hearts with bronze stars in lieu of 2nd award, and such things? The only things my pilots ever live long enough to collect are whatever they'd normally get for being badly injured in combat. :haha:

Edited by Bullethead

Yep, every 5 kills earns a medal.

I hope the dev's dont take this the wrong way at all, I cant speak enough high praise of this beautiful sim that we've all been enraptured by and how much I appreciate the work they've done. But possibly could we have a revision of the medals system? I dont really know how games are encoded or how they write the software or anything like that, I imagine that its dificult and very tedious (so I hope the devs dont beat me up too badly for this) but maybe a different system could be worked out? Something like: In a pilots campaign, medals are awarded on a points system (sort of in the same way RB2 worked). Every mission flown counts as 50 points, every succesful mission flown counts as 100 points (less points if the manager figures you wrecked your plane). Every kill counts as 200 points, but if you get multiple kills in one mission, say 2 kills=500, 3 kills = 800 and so on. Say you would get an Iron Cross 2nd class at 1500 points. You could have a pilot fly 8 succesful missions and 4 unsuccesful missions with a 2 kill mission mixed in and recieve the Iron Cross 2nd class. 3,000 points for the Iron Cross 1st class and just have the Blue Max the way it was with a numerical kill requirement.

Just trowing out ideas, let me know if I should keep them to myself. :dntknw:

-Rooster

The medal system is probably the weakest link in pilot dossiers. Now I don't have much experience with it, because usually my pilots won't live long enough to get any medals, or if they do, it's because I've been very careful and don't have enough kills to earn many awards. But I've read some posts on the subject and it does seem strange if German pilots are able to get the same award (and same class) multiple times before getting a new medal. And I don't think there were any British pilots who had 12 DFCs, even though the British award system differs from the German one in that they could give the same medal again. The award system in Red Baron seems to have been more realistic. Maybe something can be done in P4, or if we won't get it, in some add-on pack?

The WWI medal award system is very involved and convoluted for most of the air services, (with the exception of the US). I have done a fair amount of research over the past several years into this as I served as the RB3D 209's Clerk of Commendations for quite some time. If you would like a bit of direction on this at some point in the future I'd be willing to share what info I have.

Cheers!

Lou

Gentlemen!

We are working on teh medals system and post a few pics here. Btw. These pictures are low res.

post-45827-1240765565_thumb.jpg

post-45827-1240765603_thumb.jpg

I'm sure the medals could be improved...but until I have a pilot who actually earns more than 25 medals flying DiD style, I can't say it much matters to me. But since they have stated the will continue to improve P3, who knows? They may well put that on the list. My wish list leans more towards Gothas and HP 400s as well as Random Enemy Aircraft choice for QC so you never know what you'll fight next, or how many. But whatever they do, it will be well thought out, realistic and fun as hell.

Just saw your post Paarma. You must have been putting it in as I was doing mine. To me, those look great.

/salute

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

I'm sure the medals could be improved...but until I have a pilot who actually earns more than 25 medals flying DiD style, I can't say it much matters to me. But since they have stated the will continue to improve P3, who knows? They may well put that on the list. My wish list leans more towards Gothas and HP 400s as well as Random Enemy Aircraft choice for QC so you never know what you'll fight next, or how many. But whatever they do, it will be well thought out, realistic and fun as hell.

Just saw your post Paarma. You must have been putting it in as I was doing mine. To me, those look great.

/salute

Hellshade

Yes,I´m Flying DiD too, but I have to say that I saved my pilot once, when I exit warp and the plane enter so violent spin that my right wing was ripped off.

To me this isn´t a normal situation, so I saved him without pain in the heart.

I´ll try to reach the 25 kills score and retire him after this.

I´ll try the german side after this ( don´t like it very much , I find german planes a bit heavy,with excption of Dr1 of course.

And the new medal system looks really great!

Gentlemen!

We are working on teh medals system and post a few pics here. Btw. These pictures are low res.

Wow, that looks the absolute nuts! :yes: :good:

Paarma, those look absolutely great! Can't wait to see them in-game! :clapping:

And of course the award system isn't the most important part of this sim - I understand very well there's only so many things you can do with your limited resources, but having a nice award system adds greatly to the atmosphere of the game and probably won't hurt sales either.

As great as OFF is it just gets better all the time. Thanks for the information Paarma.

Woo Hoo! Thanks Paarma! You guys at OBD have out done yourselves once again.

Thanks,

-Rooster

Bravo! Will those of us who regularly shed our blood finally get some recognition for such? Of course, after a few Purple Hearts, there should be a good chance of being invalided out of the line, but it would be nice to at least have the Wound Badge in Gold to show for it :biggrin:

Sweet! Paarma, you folks apparently won't be needing any info from me.

Cheers!

Lou

Obviously, none of you ever fly as a Yank.

You get the Medal of Honor with your first five kills. Go figure...

If you're "fixing" the medals, start there.

Unc, it's 30 kills for a VC, not 25, at least in the sim/game.

Tony

Edited by tttiger

Bravo! Will those of us who regularly shed our blood finally get some recognition for such? Of course, after a few Purple Hearts, there should be a good chance of being invalided out of the line, but it would be nice to at least have the Wound Badge in Gold to show for it :biggrin:

Correct me if im wrong but didnt the purple hearts established first time ww2?

Thanks Louvert for offewring help. We have quite good resources already, but good to know that there is other folks too that have studing the decorations in ww1.

Cheers

Arto

Sweet! Paarma, you folks apparently won't be needing any info from me.

Cheers!

Lou

I think they awarded a wound "Stripe" in the AEF, but I am sure it was not the Purple Heart.

VonTobler

You are correct Paarma and Vontobler, the Purple Heart was not established until 1932, and the Wound Stripe was only used for two months in the fall of 1917. The Wound Chevron was the US Army's award for injuries suffered in the line of duty throughout the remainder of WW1. The only other awards given by the USA during WWI were, in descending order: the Medal of Honor, the Distinguished Service Cross, and the Distinguished Service Medal. A bronze oak leaf cluster was attached to the ribbon of the medal for each subsequent award. There was also the Citation Star, which was not a stand-alone medal but rather a star attached to the ribbon of the Allied Victory Medal, (the US equivilant of the British "Mentioned in Dispatches"). It later became the Silver Star.

Cheers!

Lou

Say Lou, it seems you know about medals. Back in "98 I bought a boxlot of WWI medals on ebay. I'm not sure what they all are. I have 2 victory medals and a pin that has wings with a propeller in the middle and there are many others. I am going to find out what they are and display them. My question to you is would it be wrong to clean off the tarnish and some of the silk ribbons have deteriated, would you know of a place to get new ribbon?

Rickitycrate, I would advise you do not clean the medals. If they have a nice patina of age they are worth more than if they are bright and shiny. That being siad, if you wish to clean them, use a quality dip-type cleaner that is NON-ABRASIVE! Also, there are several good sources for replacement ribbons for the old medals and I will see if I can locate those again, (I have the info around here somewhere). As you mentioned the real ribbons were often silk, so be very careful if you try to clean those. If you could send me some pics of the medals I can ID them for you if you like Sir.

ADDED: OK, I found one of the sites I was looking for Rickitycrate:

My Collectors Medals Links

Cheers!

Lou

Edited by RAF_Louvert

Hmm, I didn't know that, so I went googling just now. Turns out the PH started in 1932, replacing the "wound chevron" mentioned below. So then I dug around to see what other countries did in WW1. Very interesting; thanks for giving me the motivation to do it.

Anyway, here's what I found out about WW1 wound recongition.

Germany: Had nothing until March 1918, at which point they introduced the wound badge that came in black, silver, or gold, depending on the number and severity of wounds received.

Austria-Hungary: Had a medal on a ribbon, with multiple stripes in the ribbon to indicated the number of wounds. This started in 1917.

France: Early in the war, there were a couple of different styles of wound badges in bronze, silver, and gold. These were unofficial, but nevertheless in wide-spread use. In Dec 1916, the official Insigne des Blessés Militaires came out, which was just a little red star to be pinned through a ribbon of another award. Normally this would go on the service medal for the campaign in which the wound was received, but if there wasn't one yet, you could stick it on any handy ribbon, such as an award for bravery. Multiple stars for multiple wounds.

UK: Had a "wound stripe", which was a 2"-long brass bar pinned through the lower left tunic sleeve. This appears to have been used from at least 1916. You could end up with a row of these, apparently.

US: Designed a red/white/blue ribbon without a medal in 1917, but replaced it in 1918 with "wound chevrons". These were small, gold chevrons sewn to the lower right tunic sleeve, and you could again end up with quite a row of them.

Bullethead wrote:

Turns out the PH started in 1932, replacing the "wound chevron" mentioned below.

echo...echo...echo...

BH, I noted that very thing just a few posts ahead of your Sir. But thank you for supporting the information. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. :biggrin:

Cheeres!

Lou

Lou, Here are 3 pics I can send more if you want to do this indicate where you want them sent please. The small victory medal ribbon has clasps for Aisne,Champaigne-Marne, Aisne-Marne, St. Mihiel, Meusse-Argonne and Defensive Sector. If you don't have the time or inclination that's fine. Thanks, Jim

Edited by Rickitycrate

Very good Rickitycrate. I can tell you right now the large wings are relatively current and are for the Civil Air Patrol, the small bird pin is the "Ruptured Duck" from WW2, and the small wings-with-prop is pilot collar brass for the US Army Air Corps, also from WW2.

Cheers!

Lou