Sign in to follow this  
griphos

Windsocks

I just noticed that the windsocks point in the right direction now relative to the wind. Must have been fixed in the latest patch, unless I've been unobservant!

Yes - for the nimble light planes like Nupe11, it could be helpful to pass them before landing,

to check the direction of the wind.

Ooo... Yet another little detail that makes OFF so good!

Did they get them out of the middle of the airfield? I haven't noticed in BH&H, but I almost creamed one in Phase 2.

CJ

Yes, CJ, they are much more aside now.

Yes - for the nimble light planes like Nupe11, it could be helpful to pass them before landing,

to check the direction of the wind.

When I got BHaH I made it a point to make a pass over the field before landing to check on the windsock. I figured that with winds on in the configuration it might be a good idea to land as directly into them as possible. On my third or fourth mission we were bounced on takeoff and I noticed the smoke from a downed aircraft blowing about 160 degrees off from the windsock. It surprised me, but after that I paid closer attention to the socks and saw that they seemed to point the same direction all the time. I've heard of 'prevailing winds', but that's a bit overboard :biggrin: . It's nice to know that I can use them now. :clapping::ok:

Any thought to standardizing their locations on airfields? Some are near the hangars (makes them easy to find, but IRL they could be somewhat unreliable there due to turbulence caused by the hangars) and some are across the field (clear of the hangars but often near enough to trees to get the same interference).

Edited by von Baur

I am not so sure

ver3wind.jpg

The Windsock and the smoke plume are at right angles to each other.

Must be a micro burst over the field! :umnik2:

It may not be perfected yet. However, the socks used to point into the wind. The last two missions I checked the sock angle and the smoke angle from a nearby cottage and they were very close. Maybe not perfect. Of course, I didn't have the advantage of a heaping wreck smoking right on the field! Perhaps one of my guys will crash on takeoff and oblige me on the next mission or two.

But looking at your picture closely, I'm not sure it's as far off as a right angle. The smoke is pretty close to your axis and could be blowing much more closely to the angle shown by the windsock. Remember, the sock is parallel to the ground and the smoke could be blowing pretty close to 80 degrees if the air is lighter, so those angles drawn in the pic would be skewed heavily depending on your vantage.

Still, it's a definite improvement on the sock sticking straight into the wind, which was what it used to be.

Edited by griphos

Any update on this? Here's a shot I took recently

post-47353-1244999683_thumb.jpg

that clearly shows the windsock blowing nearly 180 degrees off two nearby sources of smoke, one being a wrecked plane and the other chimney smoke from the house.

Is it possible that the smoke has a fixed direction and is therefore unreliable?

Any update on this? Here's a shot I took recently

post-47353-1244999683_thumb.jpg

that clearly shows the windsock blowing nearly 180 degrees off two nearby sources of smoke, one being a wrecked plane and the other chimney smoke from the house.

Is it possible that the smoke has a fixed direction and is therefore unreliable?

Yes, I think this was brought up a few months ago, but I believe the wind socks are right and do change direction with the wind.. Pol?

I would go by the sock, not smoke.

Smoke is an effect on a model. It's in a fixed direction - it would need dynamic code to put in approriate changes to effects for the model as the wind changes as per the windsock, not sure if it's been looked or will be but it's noted.

Smoke is an effect on a model. It's in a fixed direction - it would need dynamic code to put in approriate changes to effects for the model as the wind changes as per the windsock, not sure if it's been looked or will be but it's noted.

Trust the sock, not the smoke. Thanks Pol. :ok:

Trust the sock, not the smoke. Thanks Pol. :ok:

Yes the sock is correct and your flight will be automatically set up to take off in the 'best' direction...

Ignore the smoke... for now...

HTH

WM