Sign in to follow this  
Vegas

Communications Problems

When I open the comm menu and select tower, I call inbound and get a vector with an altitude of 8000 feet. No matter where I am, or how many waypoints I follow. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Also, is there a way to get the comms to speak in English, even if I have a Russian jet? (I do have the native option off). Thanks!

second one first: Go to options>audio and make sure yuo unclick "native betty". That should make the betty speak english all the time (unless you have a german version of the game)

About the tower: I don't think you are doing anything wrong. The tower is just not all that bright. It will allways give an altitude of 8000 ft, a heading and a distace. When you reach it it will give you a new one. But if you choose to land it will allways clear you.

There is not many things that i'm dissapointed with in Lomac but com's are one of them. The tower is particulaly hairbrained. I even tried comming in for a landing with a plane on fire and all hydraulics gone and all the red lights in the cockpit lit up. Tower cleared me for landing when i was within the usual couple of miles from the runways but when i came within the last couple of hundred feet it told me to orbit for traffic because a chopper was landing nearby :s... i have paid little attention to tower since then

Thanks Ghostdog, I'm glad it wasn't just me. I agree on the comms being disappointing. It does add immersion and it's unforunate they didn't do more with it, IMHO.

As far as unchecking native betty, I did that, and the in cockpit warnings are in english, I just didn't know if there was a way to make outside comms (like the tower) talk in english. But after what you said about it being pretty much useless, it really doesn't matter.

Oh, one other question... if the tower does give you that heading and altitude, do you know... is it some sort of pattern that would lead you to landing (i.e., the next heading/altitude), or just gibberish that runs you in circles? I get the impression from your post that it doesn't do squat with regard to guidance, am I reading that correct? :unsure:

Oh, one other question... if the tower does give you that heading and altitude, do you know... is it some sort of pattern that would lead you to landing (i.e., the next heading/altitude), or just gibberish that runs you in circles?  I get the impression from your post that it doesn't do squat with regard to guidance, am I reading that correct? :unsure:

My experience is, that it's glibberish. I've abandoned calling them at all and just make for the runway. Pity, they included it without putting any effort into that feature.

They know that we will continue to follow orders no matter what. We will continue to follow the directions of the tower until we run out of fuel and fall out of the sky from precisely 8000 ft.....oh what a devious scheme

They know that we will continue to follow orders no matter what. We will continue to follow the directions of the tower until we run out of fuel and fall out of the sky from precisely 8000 ft.....oh what a devious scheme

That is not sufficiently accurate. If you keep calling the tower "inbound", the tower will give you updated headings until you are lined up, then ILS will automatically kick in, and "Approach " will talk you down.

Yep, it is lame, but if you do that and follow directions closely you will successfully land even in IFR soup, at night.

You're right about the communications. If you bugger them every two seconds, they gave you new directions, which eventually lead you to the runway. It's a pain in the ass, but it works.

Every 2 seconds?!? Geez, one would think the tower would get ticked and send you the opposite way just to get rid of you! :D