Sign in to follow this  
guyran

The Ofira Air Battle - Historic mission for WOI

The Ofira Air Battle - Historic mission for WOI

Historical Wings over Israel missions:

The first air battle of Yom Kippur war

The Ofira Air Battle was the first air battles of the Yom Kippur War. It took place near the Israeli Air Force base in Ofira, Sharm el-Sheikh in South Sinai on 6 October, 1973, around 14:00. It involved two Israeli Phantoms from the 107, knights of the Orange tail squadron and, 20 Egyptian MiG-17s, that were on their way to attack Israeli Defense Forces in the area. They were supported by eight MiG-21s fighters. By the end of the brief six-minute battle, seven MiGs were confirmed to have been shot down. The remaining MiGs disengaged and the Israeli Phantoms returned to their base.

The crews of the Israeli F-4 were awarded with The Medal of Distinguished Service at the end of the war.

Link to the story of the battle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofira_Air_Battle

To install:

Copy the 3 msn files into:

\Wings Over Israel\Missions. Folder

You can play either the Israeli side, or the Egyptian side.

In order to play the Egyptian side, you must have the Mig-17 and the Mig-21PFM add-on installed.

For suggestions or comments just send me a massage.

Enjoy

Guyran

Guyran,

I love these missions dude. Good job. Keep em coming!

Thanks Crazyhorse, I will

Where in Israel do you live? Do you have contacts who flew these missions? I was stationed in Israel for 3 years, was there for the 91 Gulf War. We went back fall of 07 to visit good friends. We are going back this fall too (me from Afghanistan). My best friend in life was an IAF Cobra Pilot. Like me, he is now retired but we remain brothers. He is going to help with contacts too.

Toda Raba (looks better in Hebrew)

Mike

index.php?autocom=downloads&req=display&code=sst&id=8839

File Name: The Ofira Air Battle - Historic mission for WOI

File Submitter: guyran

File Submitted: 28 Apr 2009

File Category: User Made Missions

Historical Wings over Israel missions:

The first air battle of Yom Kippur war

The Ofira Air Battle was the first air battles of the Yom Kippur War. It took place near the Israeli Air Force base in Ofira, Sharm el-Sheikh in South Sinai on 6 October, 1973, around 14:00. It involved two Israeli Phantoms from the 107, knights of the Orange tail squadron and, 20 Egyptian MiG-17s, that were on their way to attack Israeli Defense Forces in the area. They were supported by eight MiG-21s fighters. By the end of the brief six-minute battle, seven MiGs were confirmed to have been shot down. The remaining MiGs disengaged and the Israeli Phantoms returned to their base.

The crews of the Israeli F-4 were awarded with The Medal of Distinguished Service at the end of the war.

Link to the story of the battle:

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofira_Air_Battle" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofira_Air_Battle</a>

To install:

Copy the 3 msn files into:

\Wings Over Israel\Missions. Folder

You can play either the Israeli side, or the Egyptian side.

In order to play the Egyptian side, you must have the Mig-17 and the Mig-21PFM add-on installed.

For suggestions or comments just send me a massage.

Enjoy

Guyran

Click here to download this file

Where in Israel do you live? Do you have contacts who flew these missions? I was stationed in Israel for 3 years, was there for the 91 Gulf War. We went back fall of 07 to visit good friends. We are going back this fall too (me from Afghanistan). My best friend in life was an IAF Cobra Pilot. Like me, he is now retired but we remain brothers. He is going to help with contacts too.

Toda Raba (looks better in Hebrew)

Mike

Hi Mike

I'm living in Hod-Hasharon, Israel. Unfortunately, I don't have any relationship with IAF pilots. Under which force did you been stationed here in Israel? Is it true that Afghanistan is going to fall into the hands of the Taliban?

Take care,

Ran

Hi Mike

I'm living in Hod-Hasharon, Israel. Unfortunately, I don't have any relationship with IAF pilots. Under which force did you been stationed here in Israel? Is it true that Afghanistan is going to fall into the hands of the Taliban?

Take care,

Ran

Shalom Ran.

My e-mail address is ironmike775@gmail.com. Please send me an e-mail and we'll continue. I was in the US Marine Corps. I worked with IAI Tamam, in Yahud, on a night targeting system for IAF AH-1S and USMC AH-1W Cobras.

Will give you more details in private e-mail.

Cheers

Mike

This same mission has been done in 1998 EA IAF game. The difference between these two missions is that in IAF you start the mission in the hanger and the mig-17s bomb your base as you are taking off. I would like to see more missions from IAF game to be redone for this game.

This same mission has been done in 1998 EA IAF game. The difference between these two missions is that in IAF you start the mission in the hanger and the mig-17s bomb your base as you are taking off. I would like to see more missions from IAF game to be redone for this game.

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with EA IAF game. Do you mean the 'Blue Star'? I had a problem to start this mission on the runway, because the ofira airbase is not on IsraelME map. Anyway, this gave me the idea for 'Scramble at dawn' mission in Etzion airbase, But I didn't marked it as an historic mission for this reason.

I be glad to consider other EA IAF missions, if you will send me the details of those missions.

In the late 90's Electronic Arts had a series of flight simulators call Janes combat simulations. The second last game was IAF (Israeli Air Force). In this game you were given a option to fly a historical or future missions. The historical missions have 6 missions in six-day war, Yom kuppor war and the 1982 lebenon war. If you want info on all 18 missions just let me know.

In the late 90's Electronic Arts had a series of flight simulators call Janes combat simulations. The second last game was IAF (Israeli Air Force). In this game you were given a option to fly a historical or future missions. The historical missions have 6 missions in six-day war, Yom kuppor war and the 1982 lebenon war. If you want info on all 18 missions just let me know.

Yes I do, please send me the info about those 18 missions.

Try Operation Opera! :yes:

I did consider operation Opera, but most of Iraq map is outside IsraelME map.

How about Operation Orchard?

How about Operation Orchard?

Interesting, but there are very limited details about op. orcherd for an historic mission.

Ran, EA's IAF game from the 90s is the same game that was sold in Israel as Blue Star.

Here is info on the 7 missions of the six day war

1. Battle against time - Your mirage fighter bombs the egyptian airfield Inshas

2. Predators from above - mirage fighters attack Jordanian tank brigade heading for Jerusalem

3. Last minute change - mirage fighters attack Syrian air fields Kuzeir and Dineir

4. Brothers in arms - mirage fithers save an IAF pilot struggling to return home in his damaged aircraft

5. Close support - stop a Syrian armored force from crossing the Jordan river

6. To the inferno - shoot down two mig-17s in the suez canal area

7. Engaged at dusk - resue a downed israeli pilot

The 7 mission details of the yom kuppor war will be coming soon.

Do you know if those missions are based on true events? If yes, I need more details, like dates, squadron, number and kind of aircrafts involved and so on.