Some time ago, I downloaded Vietnam 1984 into Strike Eagles Vietnam. It is a all inclusive expansion in detail and content. Nice introduction with Ronald Regan and "Highway to Danger Zone". While I installed this expansion without problem, it does not function without problems, major ones. This may be a question of out-of-phase upgrades. But I trust that someone knows better than I.

WHEN LAUNCHED, THE MAIN SPLASH SCREEN APPEARS, THE MUSIC PLAYS, BUT THE MENU TABS ARE INACCESSIBLE AND MOUSE CURSOR IS LOST. THE ONLY KEYBOARD COMMAND THAT FUNCTIONS IS ALT-ESC. CORRECTIVE IDEAS WELCOME.

moved to the correct forum

wrench

kevin stein

This is one of my favorite campaigns!

I got this campaign to work with the SF:Vietnam latest patch, Oct 08, I think.

I started with a working version of the 1984 campaign, then installed each folder from the working version, into a clean/patched installation of SFP:V.

You have to install the contents of the folders carefully and selectively, or it will not work. There is a thread about moving files to patched installations in the Knowledge Board, I think.

Wonder if it will work with SFP:V 2 ????? Would be cool if it does.

Hope that makes sense. Good luck!

Oops! Sorry, Wrench. Hope this makes it to the right place, too.

Edited by TurtleHawk

Some time ago, I downloaded Vietnam 1984 into Strike Eagles Vietnam. It is a all inclusive expansion in detail and content. Nice introduction with Ronald Regan and "Highway to Danger Zone". While I installed this expansion without problem, it does not function without problems, major ones. This may be a question of out-of-phase upgrades. But I trust that someone knows better than I.

WHEN LAUNCHED, THE MAIN SPLASH SCREEN APPEARS, THE MUSIC PLAYS, BUT THE MENU TABS ARE INACCESSIBLE AND MOUSE CURSOR IS LOST. THE ONLY KEYBOARD COMMAND THAT FUNCTIONS IS ALT-ESC. CORRECTIVE IDEAS WELCOME.

You mentioned in the other thread (at SimHQ) that you're using SF2:V. I don't think that mod was made for SF2:V. It's made for WOV. The mod folder structure for SF2:V is very different.

Long story short, I think you need WOV, not SF2:V.

In time and since yesterday's frustrations, I found my Bold Games Wings Over Vietnam (Not SF2V). I wrote over the existing dysfunctional setup. For reasons only to be explained that this is another day, the program launched. All CombatACE and ThirdWire updates were applied in sequence, followed by a MORE selective and careful installation of a collection of addons. 1984 was added last, up to its Menu folder modification which was believe the Monday culprit. The program launched and there was no apparent conflict with any of the recent patch updates. I finally reinstalled the 1984 Menu folder variant. Again, there were no problems apparent other than a first time launch leadtime. My mouse has returned, the menus are accessible, and the CNN picture of Reagan with "Highway to the Dangerzone" playing on the main splash screen. As stated elsewhere, this expansion is worthy, assuming no fumbles like mine. Its addition makes for a fine companion to the host program, specifically the new SF2 Vietnam download.

In time and since yesterday's frustrations, I found my Bold Games Wings Over Vietnam (Not SF2V). I wrote over the existing dysfunctional setup. For reasons only to be explained that this is another day, the program launched. All CombatACE and ThirdWire updates were applied in sequence, followed by a MORE selective and careful installation of a collection of addons. 1984 was added last, up to its Menu folder modification which was believe the Monday culprit. The program launched and there was no apparent conflict with any of the recent patch updates. I finally reinstalled the 1984 Menu folder variant. Again, there were no problems apparent other than a first time launch leadtime. My mouse has returned, the menus are accessible, and the CNN picture of Reagan with "Highway to the Dangerzone" playing on the main splash screen. As stated elsewhere, this expansion is worthy, assuming no fumbles like mine. Its addition makes for a fine companion to the host program, specifically the new SF2 Vietnam download.

Not to toot my own horn, but if you like Vietnam 1984, also take a look at Linebacker III in the campaign downloads section. It's a mid-90's vietnam confilict with some more modern aircraft.

And Operation Tainted Cigar :good:

Not to toot my own horn, but if you like Vietnam 1984, also take a look at Linebacker III in the campaign downloads section. It's a mid-90's vietnam confilict with some more modern aircraft.

This did attract me very much. The downside to the download selection were these words:

"This campaign really only works with the SP4 patches, unfortunately. There are too many issues with some of the add-on aircraft and weapons with the newest patch"

That comment and the additional hunt for other files in the dowload section, which has a limited access of about three downloads per day, does not facilitate an easy installment. Have you considered combining your LINEBACKERIII with the other addons to make it comprehensive? That was a feature that attracted me to 1984. Lastly, apart from my laziness, I did run into conflicts with CFS3 expansions that required outside additions. Either they did not or no longer existed or they were incompatible with my CFS3 revision or collided with some other file. I had this with scenery and AI aircraft files.

This did attract me very much. The downside to the download selection were these words:

"This campaign really only works with the SP4 patches, unfortunately. There are too many issues with some of the add-on aircraft and weapons with the newest patch"

That comment and the additional hunt for other files in the dowload section, which has a limited access of about three downloads per day, does not facilitate an easy installment. Have you considered combining your LINEBACKERIII with the other addons to make it comprehensive? That was a feature that attracted me to 1984. Lastly, apart from my laziness, I did run into conflicts with CFS3 expansions that required outside additions. Either they did not or no longer existed or they were incompatible with my CFS3 revision or collided with some other file. I had this with scenery and AI aircraft files.

Well, I should update that; it will actually work with SP5. The only real issue is that the harriers won't land on the Tarawa and have to be relocated to Da Nang, and one of the AIM-120 models needs to be switched out or it won't show up. Maybe I'll update it...

As far as including the aircraft, I could easily do that. It would just increase the size of the file to be included on the CA server, and I would have to get permission for all the aircraft...

Can one of the CA admins let me know if including the aircraft in the download would be frowned upon due to file size?

*edit* - who am I kidding? Unfortunately, I'm not going repack the whole thing with aircraft included, cuz then I'd have to do weapons, effects, etc... as well. With NF4 and ODS available, there's no reason for me to do that. Not to mention I'd have to get so many permissions...

I will go back and make the few corrections necessary to make it SP5 compatible, though.

Edited by malibu43

Thank You. Let me know here or at SIMHQ (5555) when the SP5 update is completed and any further details regarding the edit or gathering of the support files.