Sign in to follow this  
Dave

SF2/SF2V Knowledge Base

Ok I started a thread in the KB. In this thread put all the fixes, and how to's here. Then I will transfer them to the KB myself.

Do not as ask how to do anything, this thread is for things we already know. This will only work if the community steps up and help out.

Something to note. Under the F-8D and F-8D_66 listings. VF-31 never flew the Crusader. They jumped from the Demon to the F-4B.

So, change both aircraft's squadron listings for USNGrey3 skin, to another F-8D user.

Here are some suggestions:

VF-154

H&MS-11

VMF-333

• Like 1

OK this is the super-huge FPS tweak:

Requirements:

1. DX10 capable card

2. DX10 capable system(Vista,Server2008,Win7) *-tested on Win7 only so far

In options.ini set UseAdvanced shaders=1 like this:

[GraphicsOptions]

DisplayDeviceID=0

DisplayWidth=1024

DisplayHeight=768

DisplayDepth=32

AspectRatio=1.333000

AntiAliasing=0

UseAdvancedShaders=1

LensFlare=0

DetailLevel=2

ObjectDetail=2

ObjectTexture=2

CockpitTexture=2

CockpitMirrors=1

CockpitReflection=1

EffectsDetail=2

TerrainDetail=2

TerrainTexture=2

HorizonDistance=2

GroundObjectDensity=2

WaterDetail=2

CloudsDetail=2

Shadow=1

Ignore other settings as those are my personal and will vary, all of them are set via the in-game graphics options screen anyway....

This little tweak brought my FPS from 23 to 50 on my testing sample and brought overall huge improvement in performance, however as TK noted this is still experimental so some other bugs may emerge.

Original thread at TW forum:

http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6293

End of page 2 and page 3 are of intrest for this particular tweak...

Edited by Brain32

For those of you having issues with the Typhoon pilots legs hanging out of the plane, here are the fixes.......this type of thing needs to be done with all your planes that dont use a stock pilot or seat.

Typhoon_SF2_fixes.rar

Well I got a huge FPS increase but lost my AB effects on 3rd party planes.

Hey Dave I have a fix for that, most..actually all 3rd party Afterburners are not made for SF2 ofcourse and therefore do not contain new entires for afterburners that are obviously required for new advanced shaders...

Here's how I "fixed" MF's MiG-29 afterburner effects:

[MIG29Material]

EffectShaderName=twColor1.fx - ONLY this entry is relevant and fixes everything :)

DepthBufferCheck=TRUE

DepthBufferWrite=FALSE

IgnoreRenderOrder=FALSE

AlphaTestEnabled=FALSE

LightEnabled=FALSE

UseLightLevel=FALSE

SpecularEnabled=FALSE

EmissiveEnabled=FALSE

AmbientColor=0.500000,0.500000,0.500000,0.500000

DiffuseColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

ZBufferOffset=2.000000

PriorityLevel=3

BlendOp=BLEND_INV_SRC_ALPHA_ADD_SRC

NumTextureStages=1

TextureStage[01].TextureName=MIG29_BURNER.tga

TextureStage[01].MipMap=FALSE

TextureStage[01].FilterEnabled=TRUE

TextureStage[01].StageColorOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE

TextureStage[01].StageAlphaOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE

I still have two problems with advanced shader use..one smaller and one huge...first one is the chaff and flares not appearing, flares produce the light but can not be seen. The second super-huge issue is that HUD's are not showing up, all of it seems to be alpha channel related issues, hope I can find a fix for it, if not I'll have to report that to TK as major issue...

This came up in the May patch thread, seems it could be more useful here.

Assuming you want separate SFP2, SFP2V AND a separate merged install (e.g. for modders wishing to test if their mod works in standalone versions of the game as well as in merged versions). Step by step.

Standalone SFP2 install:

Install SFP2 to wherever you want, for the sake of argument to D:\SFP2, patch it. (only the latest SFP2 patch needed)

Go to saved games folder, Thirdwire, SFP2, open options.ini and look for the mods folder line, tell it to use any folder you like, for the sake of convenience D:\SFP2\smods.

Now, this will be your SFP2 only install. So rename the Thirdwire folder in saved games (add an x), just to be sure, add an x to options.ini making it options.inix, these steps are so that the next installer won't see the game, so it will leave it alone.

Standalone SFP2V install:

Install SFP2V to wherever you want, for the sake of argument to D:\SFP2V, patch it. (only the latest SFP2V patch needed)

Go to saved games folder, Thirdwire, SFP2V, open options.ini and look for the mods folder line, tell it to use any folder you like, for the sake of convenience D:\SFP2V\vmods.

Now, this will be your SFP2V only install. So rename the Thirdwire folder in saved games (add an xx), just to be sure, add an xx to options.ini making it options.inixx, these steps are so that the next installer won't see the game, so it will leave it alone.

Standalone merged install:

Install SFP2 to wherever you want for the merged install, for the sake of argument to D:\SFP2VMERGED,

Install SFP2V to exactly where you put SFP2 for the merged install, so in this example to D:\SFP2VMERGED This is your standalone merged install, patch it. (only the latest SFP2V patch needed)

Go to saved games folder, Thirdwire, SFP2V AND SFP2, open BOTH options.ini and look for the mods folder line, tell it to use any folder you like, for the sake of convenience D:\SFP2V\mmods.

To use the SFP2 OR SFP2V ONLY installs, just rename the Thirdwire folder in saved games (E.G. add an xxx to the Thirdwire folder created by the merged install) and delete the x(s) from whichever one of the previous, standalone installs you want to use.

Different mods within each game install (for most people this is all you will need, separate installs are only necessary for compatibility testing etc.):

Within each core install on D drive in this example, you have a mod folder, either smods (SFP2 standalone install), vmods (SFP2V standalone install) or mmods (SFP2/V merged install). You can have as many total game/mod conversions as you want, for example, ODS2, OTC2, NF5 etc ad infinitum without ever needing a separate install, all you have to do is put all the mods for whatever modification into THE mods folder (either smods, vmods or mmods) and when not in use, rename it by adding an x. For example, if you want to install both ODS2 AND NF5 to the merged install described above, install either game mod first, doesn't matter, the mods folder will still be called "mmods". After this total mod is installed, simply rename the mods folder (add an x) and run the game, this will create a new vanilla mods folder, titled whatever you called it in the options.ini and located wherever you told it in the options.ini (mmods in this example, in D\SFP2V\) for you to then install the next total game mod. When you want to use any different mods folders, swap out the x(s) so NO NEED to keep fiddling with the mods folder line in the options ini.

Edited by Kopis n Xiphos
  • Like 2

Ok, I just got the thing (SF2) and had no problems bringing over the stock GermanyCE or VietnamSEA terrains ...

you just copy/paste the ENTIRE terrain folder over into you (well, for me XP)

C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin J. Stein\My Documents\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Terrains

don't forget, you MUST create the new folder Terrains (and it must be plural)

now, to figure out how to get the AI Migs flyable....

wrench

kevin stein

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this or if it's been posted before (search comes up with no results for me), but I figured it would help other SF2/SF2V n00bz using Vista like me. I've never played a TW sim up till last week when I got SF2. Anywho, this post is from TK himself on the Third Wire forums and shows the default SF2 "Mods Folder" file structure. This is helpful when adding mods originally intended for earlier TW games.

http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p...mp;hilit=Sounds

If your mod folder is set to C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2, they should be:

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Effects

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Sounds

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Objects\Decals

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Objects\Pilots

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Objects\Weapons

All seats (as well as pilots) related files go into Pilots folder.

TK

--

In order to save some time for people searching for things within the multiple CAT files, here is a breakdown of whats in each.

SF2E:

ObjectData001

Default Ground Object TAN skins (Barlock thru ZU-23)

Ground Object inis

Weapon inis (includes GUNDATA and WEAPONDATA)

Weapon LODs and skins

GermanNum TGAs

Country Insignia TGAs

ItalianNum TGAs

Kill TGAs

NationName TGAs

Pilot LODs and skins

Ejection seat LODs and skins

SovietNum TGAs (Same as SF2V)

USMCNum TGAs (Same as SF2V)

USNNum TGAs (Same as SF2V)

USNCV (aircraft carriers) Num TGAs (Same as SF2V)

VPAFNum TGAs (Same as SF2V)

ObjectData002

Aircraft skins (An12, B57(silver), Hunters, Il28, MiG17s, MiG19, MiG21F/MF/PF/PFM, Su7s, Tu16, Tu22)

All inis, LODs, etc, for above aircraft

ObjectData003

Aircraft skins (F4C/D/E (ADC grey & desert), F100D/D64(silver)) (Same as SF2V)

All inis, LODs, etc, for above aircraft (Same as SF2V)

Cockpit gauges (includes common A-4B gauges) (Same as SF2V)

ObjectData004

A4_SqTail TGAs (Same as SF2V)

F4_SqTail TGAs (Same as SF2V)

F4TailNum TGAs (Same as SF2V)

F100AFNum TGAs (for SEA camo) (Same as SF2V)

F100NumFuse TGAs (buzz numbers for non-camo aircraft) (Same as SF2V)

F100NumTail TGAs (for non-camo aircraft) (Same as SF2V)

SqF100Tail TGAs (for SEA camo) (Same as SF2V)

SqName TGAs (USN and UMCS VA/VF/VMFA) (Same as SF2V)

ObjectData006

Aircraft skins (B52,B57(Camo),F4C/D/E (Camo),F100D_64/68(Camo)) (Same as SF2V)

All inis, LODs, etc, for B-52, F-100D_68 (Same as SF2V)

ObjectData007

Aircraft skins (A7D,F105D/D66) (Same as SF2V)

All inis, LODs, etc, for above aircraft (Same as SF2V)

Common cockpit gauges for A-7D, F-105D (Same as SF2V)

ObjectData008

A1Tail TGAs (Same as SF2V)

A6Tail TGAs (Same as SF2V)

A7DAFNum TGAs (Same as SF2V) (SEA camo)

A7Tail TGAs (Same as SF2V)

B57Tail TGAs (Same as SF2V)

F8Fin TGAs (Same as SF2V)

F8Tail TGAs (Same as SF2V)

F105AFNum TGAs (Same as SF2V) (SEA Camo)

F105NumFuse TGAs (Same as SF2V) (buzz numbers for non-camo aircraft)

F105NumTail TGAs (Same as SF2V)

SqF105Tail TGAs (Same as SF2V) (SEA Camo)

ObjectData009

Aircraft skins (A7D75/78,B57(black),CF104s,F4D78,F4E78,F84F,F104G,Hunter51,MiG17PF,MiG21bis/MF/PF/PFM,MiG23BN/M/MF/ML/MLA/MLD/P,MiG27,Mirage3/5,MystereIVA,SuperMyst)

Default Ground Object GREEN skins (Barlock thru ZU-23)

ObjectData010

Aircraft skins (A10A/A78,F4F/F80,F4M/M75,F15A,Harriers)

ObjectData011

A10_Sn TGAs

A10Sq TGAs

AV8ASq TGAs

F4FNum TGAs

F4M_SN TGAs

F15A_SN TGAs

F15Sq TGAs

Harrier1SN TGAs

Hunter9SN TGAs

SQBadge/Band TGAs

SQBandPhantom TGAs

I'm hoping that I captured nearly everything and created a fairly comprehensive list for easy reference. As you can see, much of the SF2V files are in the same folders, so it will cross over easily.

-Jeff

• Like 1

In SF2 Europe:

Change the F-4C's USAFGrey squadron listing from 10TFS to an ANG unit. Hahn AB did not fly the C-model. They transitioned from the F-100D to the F-4D.

I'd suggest the 171st FIS (Mich ANG) for the CRESTED CAP mission. It will require a new listing in the SquadronList.ini. For the SEA schemed jets, maybe a 52nd TFW bird. They had a mixed bag with some EF-4Cs for a very short time. Or "transfer" the jet to Spain. They flew Cs.

Also folks, for those who don't like the idea of going through a bunch of nestled directories to get to stuff, even if it's just the options.ini file, you don't have to.

As K and K first mentioned eariler, you can set the options.ini file to refer to a mods folder that is somewhere other than the default Vista "C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\blah blah blah...".

However, you still have to go there just to get to the options.ini to edit it. However, there are 2 ways to get around this:

1) Simply create a shortcut to the options.ini and place it anywhere or

2) Go into the StrikeFighter2.ini and edit the location of where to look for the options.ini file.

The nice thing about this setup is that now my SF2/V/E install is totally self contained. I actually have my universal mods folder inside my SF2 install. So i can copy the SF2 folder to a stick and run it off the stick with just a few edits of the StrikeFighter2.ini and options.ini files. No having to go everywhere if I want a portable copy of SF2.

Also, K and K alluded to the idea of only having one core install and run all the mods you want with just dragging and dropping mods into your mods folder.

A more elegant solution is running a BAT file. Remember those? I used to run a BAT file for all my sims back in the day so that it would automatically load my TQS/FLCS/RCS profiles for the particular sim I was going to fly...no muss, no fuss. To the end user, it was transparent. It would load the profile, then run the sim, then once I exited the sim, it unloaded the profile. The only problems I would ever have is if the sim did a CTD.

Anyway, instead of dragging and dropping your whole mods everytime you want fly a different one, make several option.ini files, each with different names (say optionsOTC.ini, optionsODS.ini, etc).

Then create a BAT file which simply has the programming (be advised I haven't created a BAT file in a while, so the terminology is wrong) of 3 lines like:

Rename optionsOTC.ini options.ini

Run SF2.EXE

Rename options.ini optionsOTC.ini

Have a shortcut to that BAT file, and there you go. One click shopping...no copying mods, no fiddling with swapping around options.ini everytime you want to play a different mod.

FC

One more thing:

The Gen 2 TW sims can still run self contained and do not need to be 'installed' except in the case of a merged install. With each sim, I've installed, then copied the stock directory, then uninstalled the sim and backed up the directory. Even with my merged install, I've done the same thing.

FC

Hi all!

You may all know what I’m talking about already, but I couldn’t find it in the KB. I think I found a really easy way to have multiple installs of SF2 (or SF2V or SF2E).

Apparently, the name of the folder in your main ThirdWire Mod folder is not hard-coded but copied from the name of the EXE when it is first run.

So you fancy another intall!... Follow me:

Go to your main SF2 (or V or E) folder.

Make a copy of your “StrikeFighters2.exe” (or Vietnam or Europe, but you get that now).

You should get a new file called “Copy of StrikeFighters2.exe”.

Rename that file “Whatever_you_like.exe”.

Run it.

There you go! This will create a “Whatever_you_like” folder in your ThirWire mod folder (by now everyone knows where it is!). This folder is a carbon copy of the initial mod folder created by your stock SF2, with its own “option.ini”. When you launch your “Whatever_you_like.exe”, it will read this “option.ini” file.

In your “Whatever_you_like” mod folder, you can add or remove pretty much anything you want (as long as it’s SF2 compatible). However, if you remove stock aircraft (or other ground objects), you will probably CTD if you try Instant Action or stock Campaign.

So far, I’ve remove most of the US aircraft (I want a Western Europe vs Soviet) and add a new terrain, and everything works perfectly fine. Haven’t done a campaign yet!!!

Franck

• Like 1

Noticed a typo on the stock SNEB rocket pod. It was listing ROCKET68 as the Rocket Name (under Rocket Data), so no rockets would be loaded/fired. Change this to SNEB68, save and you're ready to go.

QUOTE ('TK from Thirdwire")The ALR-69 RWR display can identify radar type and display different symbols. The symbols you're likely to encounter in the game are:

2 = SA-2

6 = SA-6

8 = SA-8

Z = ZSU-23-4 AAA

21 = MIG-21

23 = MIG-23

15 = F-15

F4 = F-4

F0 = F-104/F-105

M3 = Mirage III

U = Unknown

S = Search radar

V = M163 Vulcan AAA

(hopefully these are pretty self-explanatory)

Radars guiding missiles have flashing circle around them.

Priority threat (the tracking radar with highest signal) will have a diamond displayed around it.

Keep in mind that this can only identify radar type, and not the exact aircraft type. For example, MIG-23MS, which is an export model with MIG-21 radar, will show up as "21", not "23".

Most add-on planes will not be identified (show up as "U") unless additional data is added - for add-on planes with radars, you need to add RadarFamilyName= (and type of radar, please see stock data) in DetectSystem section to have it show up on RWR (or else, it'll show as Unknown).

And if you want to add the ALR-69 to add-on plane, you need to set RWR Type to TEWS and add ThreatLibraryList= which is just a list of known identifiable threats (again, please see stock plane data).

(and if you look through the FlightData.CAT, there are additional icons not used, such as 27,29,31 etc, for anyone wanting to build more modern threat library icon_wink.gif.

---

Also, even aircraft with older RWR "vector" display has slightly new feature. On aircraft with up front RHAW control panel, it'll light up different SAM button (LO/MID/HI band light) depending on radar frequency, so you can roughly determine the type of SAM radar tracking you.

Eary and late SA-2 (SA-2 B and SA-2 F) will indicate LO freqnecy band light

Mid-year SA-2 (SA-2 C and SA-2 E) will indicate MID freqnecy band light

SA-6 will light MID freqnecy band light while its searching/tracking, but moves to HI frequency band when guiding missile. But this missile guidance may not be detectable on some RWR (its using CW type radar for guidance).

SA-8 will light HI freqnecy band light

TK