Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

How to open a Skins.dds document....

What does the .dds suffix stand for. If I try to open though Photoshop, do I try an "Open As..." and if so, "As which one..."? Thanks.

Try to open as 24 bit bitmap.

If that doesn't work, google for "DXTBmp", a program to browse through the skins,

open one, and save it as 24 bit bitmap. After working on it, open that bitmap with

the above program, and save it as .dds again. The prog is freeware.

If you have a Nvidia card, download the app for that

(this is all stickied in the ...guess what?...Skinning section!)

Sorry! False alarm. Re-read the tutorial [which has been sitting under the computer for the last few weeks.] Launch DXT. Ahhh...

Or just use Paint.net, open it, work on it, and save it again all with the same program.

If you have photoshop, why use DXTbmp? It often introduces some artefacts when compressing from a bitmap to a dds format. Download the Nvidia plugin for photoshop: it allows you to open dds files and to save in this format.

go there: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photosh...ds_plugins.html

As a matter of fact, it's much better to work on bitmaps then convert them to dds to save them: editing and saving a dds format multiple times introduce artefacts eventually.

What I do is this: work in photoshop, generally saving the template in psd format. Then I save it as a bitmap (24bits), sharpen it a bit, then save it as a dds. That workflow usually gives the best results quality-wise.

If you have photoshop, why use DXTbmp? It often introduces some artefacts when compressing from a bitmap to a dds format. Download the Nvidia plugin for photoshop: it allows you to open dds files and to save in this format.

As a matter of fact, it's much better to work on bitmaps then convert them to dds to save them: editing and saving a dds format multiple times introduce artefacts eventually.

What I do is this: work in photoshop, generally saving the template in psd format. Then I save it as a bitmap (24bits), sharpen it a bit, then save it as a dds. That workflow usually gives the best results quality-wise.

Me too!.... I find the nvidia plugin way superior!..A one stop shop

That puts a new face on it. I'll look into this. Thanks.

Me too!.... I find the nvidia plugin way superior!..A one stop shop

Widow, can you tell me if the Nvidia plug-in only works with photoshop? I am using paint.net.

I'm running an nVidia Ge Force 9300M GS

Widow, can you tell me if the Nvidia plug-in only works with photoshop? I am using paint.net.

I'm running an nVidia Ge Force 9300M GS

Should work in most bit map editors that accepts PS plugins. It's free, so just try it. Good luck.