Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

A site for the compulsive modeler...

One who builds this model will end up learning more than he ever hoped about an Albatros.

http://www.scaleautoworks.com/albatross.htm

Wow!!!....... I never realised what an intricate design these aircraft were! (especially when you consider the Wright's only flew a decade or so earlier!)

Wow!!!....... I never realised what an intricate design these aircraft were! (especially when you consider the Wright's only flew a decade or so earlier!)

I was amazed also. Once I started to really look at the aeroplanes closer I began to appreciate the level of engineering that went into designing them. They are no longer the old crates as I once saw them.

Once I started to really look at the aeroplanes closer I began to appreciate the level of engineering...

I mentioned this book once before: SCALE AIRCRAFT DRAWINGS, from the publishers of Model Airplane News. This being Vol.!-World War I. It's filled with exqusitely detailed drawings, dimensions, performance tables and just about every square inch of white space is filled with engineering, and historical, notes. I recall pouring over these drawings, utterly facinated, as a kid. They still satisfy. [amazon.com had several used copies]

One who builds this model will end up learning more than he ever hoped about an Albatros.

http://www.scaleautoworks.com/albatross.htm

Yep, I built that Albatros model a couple of years back. It still graces the top of my beer fridge. I posted some pics of it on the old site. It took several months of eyestrain to complete. Each wng rib as I recall, is individually crafted and consists of about a dozen or more pieces for each rib--before modifying the final parts for accepting cross spars, struts, and aileron pulleys. After finishing it, it almost broke my heart to shoot the daylights out of an Albatros in OFF. But I got over it.

Hemo

Hey Hemorad,

I've heard the Albatross from Model Airways is kind of a problematic model. I've eyed that one, but have held back because of its reputation. What did you think when building it? I built that company's version of the Wright Flyer. Quite enjoyable. It's hanging from a rafter now. I'll attach a pic of it.

I hear the Jenny is the best kit. The new Sopwith Camel has me looking hard though.

I've never heard of that book, Hauksbee. What a great book! I'm about to google for it right now.

post-45854-1241387177_thumb.jpg

Hey Hemorad,

I've heard the Albatross from Model Airways is kind of a problematic model. I've eyed that one, but have held back because of its reputation. What did you think when building it? I built that company's version of the Wright Flyer. Quite enjoyable. It's hanging from a rafter now. I'll attach a pic of it.

I hear the Jenny is the best kit. The new Sopwith Camel has me looking hard though.

I've never heard of that book, Hauksbee. What a great book! I'm about to google for it right now.

post-45854-1241387177_thumb.jpg

post-46475-1241388632_thumb.jpg

Hey, that's sweet! Nice stain on the wood too. I may just have to break down and build this one.

Hey, that's sweet! Nice stain on the wood too. I may just have to break down and build this one.

Griphos,

It appears I sent the picture of the Albatros without an attached message! Sorry!

What I intended to say was that this model was the first wood and metal model of this type I ever attempted. It was fun, but yes, in fact, there were a few real problems with the Brittania metal parts fitting. In particular, the fuselage struts supporting the upper wings simply would not allow the upper and lower wings to lie on the same parallel plane. I ended up sawing a piece out of the front part of the stut assembly to get the wings to line up, and epoxying the parts together. I believe I had some similar issues with the metal gun mounts, too. Everything came out okay in the end. The stain in the picture looks more red than the real thing, though I do like the looks of the red in the picture.

I've been eyeing the Camel, also, and maybe the Nieuport 28. Just haven't resolved myself to dedicating my time to another project like this right now!

Nice job on your Wright Flyer!

Hemo

Griphos,

It appears I sent the picture of the Albatros without an attached message! Sorry!

What I intended to say was that this model was the first wood and metal model of this type I ever attempted. It was fun, but yes, in fact, there were a few real problems with the Brittania metal parts fitting. In particular, the fuselage struts supporting the upper wings simply would not allow the upper and lower wings to lie on the same parallel plane. I ended up sawing a piece out of the front part of the stut assembly to get the wings to line up, and epoxying the parts together. I believe I had some similar issues with the metal gun mounts, too. Everything came out okay in the end. The stain in the picture looks more red than the real thing, though I do like the looks of the red in the picture.

I've been eyeing the Camel, also, and maybe the Nieuport 28. Just haven't resolved myself to dedicating my time to another project like this right now!

Nice job on your Wright Flyer!

Hemo

BTW, the $265 price tag posted on that site seems a tad steep! I found my Albatros model for half that on EBay.

Hemo

Hey Hemo,

Yes, I see them on ebay not infrequently. Your description of the problems doesn't seem too bad. I don't mind those sorts of modifications. I ordered the book Hauksbee mentioned so that should serve as a resource for modifying the structure if necessary. I may see if I can get one cheap. Love the look of those Albatrosses.