Sign in to follow this  
rayfer

Warping....newbie question

I'm new to this game and flight sims in general.....started my first campaign and got off the ground ok, circled the field, as instructed, to join my wing mates and headed out to the first waypoint. I decided to try the warp 'x' function and it worked, only when I arrived my wing mates were nowhere to be seen. Did I do something wrong or is not advisable to use warp to waypoint in a campaign?

Nope. Nothing wrong, rayfer. I warp in the campaign all the time. Sometimes when I've gotten seperated from my flight in a scrap, once the area is clear of enemies, I have managed to re-join them by warping.

By "nowhere to be seen" I assume you had on, or turned on, your HUD -and had it selected to show aircraft... not that just didn't seee them looking around with "the naked eye". It can be hard to spot other aircraft, especially directly above or below you.

So I have no idea where your flight got to, since there was no previous combat and it's unlikely they had to turn back or were taken out by ground fire. ...but warping works fine in the campaign. Try it again and I'm sure it will be okay.

A word of caution, tho' - keep an eye on your HUD display showing your distance to target- every once in a long while the flight leader seems to get lost and overshoots the next waypoint by miles and miles- far enough for you run out of gas trying to get back. In that case <ALT X> will break you out of warp; Turn around an re-enter warp to get back on course.

Thanks for the replies.....I found that 'tips and cheats' thread you referred to...it is most helpful, as is a single page printable list of hot keys, commands, etc. I alos found in the forums. Together they are helping alot. I went back out again and pounced (at least that was my initial impression) on the rear of a German (I was playing American) plane only to learn the hard way it was a two seater with a rear machine gun (I don't know the names/types of planes yet) and proceeded to go down hard, surviving the crash to fight again another day.

Welcome, Rayfer

I never had problems with my wingmen at warping, but with petrol.

It gets used up too fast, when you warp at full throttle. Best push it back to 60 - 70 %,

before you warp. Also be sure your wingmen are so close, that you can read their names,

when you turn on 'labels'. Then they should be with you, when you come out of warp.