As you'll know, Peter Jackson is doing a remake of the Dambusters movie. Here is the first shot of one of the aircraft to be used in the airfield shots.

Oh, and the answer to the eternal question "dogging" this project - Guy Gibson also call his dog 'Nigsy'.

LloydNB

post-2351-1241471770_thumb.jpg

As you'll know, Peter Jackson is doing a remake of the Dambusters movie. Here is the first shot of one of the aircraft to be used in the airfield shots.

Oh, and the answer to the eternal question "dogging" this project - Guy Gibson also call his dog 'Nigsy'.

LloydNB

Correction and I do not wish to offend anyone with this reply his dog was called Nigger...

Hope they dont fill out the roles with Americans as there was only a couple of the American types in the Squadron for the Raid. They where mostly made up of Commonwealth pilots....

wow - looks hopeful cant wait to see it!

Correction and I do not wish to offend anyone with this reply his dog was called Nigger...

Sorry Pacman

I was not being direct enough. One of the problems facing the film is that using the name 'Nigger' for Gibson's black Labrador would offend too many people. So they have been looking for less offensive alternatives. They have settled on 'Nigsy'.

LloydNB

I have high hopes for this film. That shot is really whetting my appetite. Hope Jacko does the 617 lads proud.

Hurray...they've got the Upkeep mine correct !

Fave quote from original is ... About 20 guns, some on the ground, some on the towers...or something like that. Lucas lifted that for the StarWars deathstar trench scene. Love it.

Fingers crossed it doesn't end up another U-571, revisionist history with the worst piece of casting ever in a war film, Jon Bon Jovi....argh!

Lazboy

They could make it more interesting than the original. Like some proper characterisation of Gibson, as the flawed character he really was.

Sorry Pacman

I was not being direct enough. One of the problems facing the film is that using the name 'Nigger' for Gibson's black Labrador would offend too many people. So they have been looking for less offensive alternatives. They have settled on 'Nigsy'.

LloydNB

Aaaahhh now I understand apologies on that one... All I can say is that hopefully the film wont be a mess like U-571 the Americans winning the war with no help from anyone (Apologies to the Colonial Americans... ) ala Saving Private Ryan...

My Grandad was there at the Sciccily and at D-Day... right Rant over again...

Hmmmm....not totally loving this..... im a HUGE fan of the original..... if he screws it up ill chase him thru hell forever :lol:

If he's already re-named the central character - that dog - then goodness knows what he'll be doing next. I fear the worst...

I wonder who's playing Barnes Wallis?

Next thing we know they will be using B-17's instead of Lancasters... :whistling:

Hoping that they stay with the Lancaster... :lol:

Aint Hollywood Great ???

So Tom Cruise to play Guy Gibson then??? He should stick to his Tomcat...

Edited by PACMAN

Aaaahhh now I understand apologies on that one... All I can say is that hopefully the film wont be a mess like U-571 the Americans winning the war with no help from anyone (Apologies to the Colonial Americans... ) ala Saving Private Ryan...

My Grandad was there at the Sciccily and at D-Day... right Rant over again...

Not too get too historically anal but...

In "Saving Private Ryan" the only Brit would have probaly been the coxswain of the landing craft. Also, the sector where the 101st DZs were located about 25-30 miles IIRC from the British/Canadian beaches.

Another thing that made those in the UK bristle was the line about Monty being overrated. Well, Caen wasn't fully taken until July 18th while on the same day US forces captured St. Lo, having endured brutal fighting right into the heart of the bocage country suffering heavy casualties as a result. Some infantry units were virtually wiped out. Check on a map the distances from the beaches to the respective objectives. Yet to this day, the Americans are considered to have had the "Easy" side of the front.

If anyone wants to continue discussions on subjects such as these i would suggest a thread where the MODs say it's ok.

Now back to "OOOOOAHHHHHHHHing' Lancs

Edited by Lt. James Cater

i have this really really REALLY bad feeling they are gonna royally screw the pooch on this one....

i have this really really REALLY bad feeling they are gonna royally screw the pooch on this one....

I do too.

I don't. I think it'll be ok, you know!

With today's CGI there are no excuses for not being able to properly recreate the mission.

However, the acting is up to the actors and the director.

You can't please everyone though...just be grateful that someone is willing to do this.

The thing is big movies are made for one thing...to make money. So it will have to have a broad appeal, it can't possibly just cater for aero-heads like us (a pity that !).

God, I do hope they use the same musical score !

The musics got to stay for sure!! maybe a slight remix by John Williams though :)

Well, just look at the Job Jackson did with Lord of the Rings, i think he will do an alright job if you ask me, guess we will just have to wait and see wont we. Ive been to the Memorial for the 617 lads down at Woodhall Spa in Lincolnshire.

I wonder if they can get Christopher Lloyd to recycle his mad professor character from Back To The Future to play Barnes Wallis :biggrin:

Anyone know if the airworthy Lanc is going to be used even briefly in or for the movie ? If only for the sound of the Merlin engines.

If he's already re-named the central character - that dog - then goodness knows what he'll be doing next. I fear the worst...

Who cares ! Its friggin dog and a stupid Lab at that. Good that he renamed the dog, the "N" word is despicable and offenssive also its omission wont tarnish the movie. It's not like the directors remaking Mississipi Burning (where not using that word would take away from the movie)....

Edited by Atreides

Anyone know if the airworthy Lanc is going to be used even briefly in or for the movie ? If only for the sound of the Merlin engines.

I hope so, i can remember on work experience at RAF Conignsby getting a tour inside and outside of the Lanc, tell you what, its cramped in there. Got to sit in the pilot's seat and the rear gunner's seat. Shame i couldnt get a flight in it haha

All this talk about the Lanc makes me want to re-check out the Lanc in our museum once I'm back in Toronto, sadly its not airworthy.

Edited by Atreides

I hope so, i can remember on work experience at RAF Conignsby getting a tour inside and outside of the Lanc, tell you what, its cramped in there. Got to sit in the pilot's seat and the rear gunner's seat. Shame i couldnt get a flight in it haha

She sound wonderful as well. I lived in Sevenoaks, Kent for a while and I'll always remember her flying low over the town out of Biggin Hill. Those Merlins .......

Jackson and the Director got taken up in the Canadian Lanc some time ago. They both got out grinning like little boys.

LloydNB