Sign in to follow this  
Kestrel

A Simple But Important Request

First I'd like to say that I've been waiting for a Falklands/Malvinas sim for more than 10 years.

Therefore before anything else...

Thank You.

Now the problem:

Everyone + dog are getting TFT-LCDs and one of the new variables brought in is different aspect ratios.

Besides the usual 4:3 we now have 5:4, 16:9, 16:10, etc.

And the request:

Is it possible to make the rendering engine resolution independent, not just in size but in aspect ratio aswell?

Hi,

what Steve told is correct, but also the game must enable this type of display configuration. Most games query the display for the available resolutions and the engine renders with this choice. It is already independent.

So what would happen if I switch a 4:3 with a 16:9 ratio? Would I be able to see things that were hidden before to the sides?

currently we mainly play the working code in a window which can be stretched to any shape and maintains the appropriate aspect ratio.

16:9 would work. for example:

widewindow.jpg

I suppose if I had multiple graphics cards and monitors, the window could be stretched over many monitors.

If you fix the vertical field of view (FOVY), then the FOVX will increase accordingly the aspect ratio. The calculation is FOVX = aspect * FOVY, which means that you will see more in a 16:9 screen than in a 4:3 screen.

How about for those of us with Radeon graphics cards and two CRT's hooked up. Using Hydravision, you can have two monitors with an extended desktop on one card. Any possibility on this working as well? I'd like to mount the second screen above the first for above the cockpit views, or as an instrument panel view.