Sign in to follow this  
Luftace

1st campaign mission

Decided to finally try out the campaign today, joined Jasta 32 in August 1917 flying Albatross DIIs. Pretty smooth except for running into some French Nieuport 17s. Got hits on a few and was surprised to see 3 pending kills for myself! Pretty good for my first day in the squadron, and on top of that having to lead the 2nd flight of 2 bc I was highest ranking, Obergefreiter, lol. Only 13 pilots available so far, so I guess the commander saw me fit to do so being fresh out of flight school, haha. Only problem was, being new, I hadnt learned any of the names of my fellow wingmen yet, so didn't know who to put down for my kill claims witnesses. Doh! Anyways, back to flying. Having a blast. Love the historical newspaper and period film clips too by the way. Tchuss!

Decided to finally try out the campaign today, joined Jasta 32 in August 1917 flying Albatross DIIs. Pretty smooth except for running into some French Nieuport 17s. Got hits on a few and was surprised to see 3 pending kills for myself! Pretty good for my first day in the squadron, and on top of that having to lead the 2nd flight of 2 bc I was highest ranking, Obergefreiter, lol. Only 13 pilots available so far, so I guess the commander saw me fit to do so being fresh out of flight school, haha. Only problem was, being new, I hadnt learned any of the names of my fellow wingmen yet, so didn't know who to put down for my kill claims witnesses. Doh! Anyways, back to flying. Having a blast. Love the historical newspaper and period film clips too by the way. Tchuss!

Glad you've joined the throng (relatively speaking) of people loving BHaH, Luftace. As you'll come to realise (if you don't already) it's not a flight sim, it's an flight sim-centered WW1 experience.

As far as claims are concerned: Learn the names of your wingmen and watch out in case they change (they go on leave, are missing, killed etc.) and put them all down on any claim. Note where the engagement was, e.g. 1 mile E of La Gorgue and put that down. Note the time and include that, plus altitude and a rough guess at rounds fired. Note the EA type and any markings and add that as well. I've never had a claim refused for any of my (mostly deceased) pilots in any of my many campaigns.

Sometimes an engagement may seem inconclusive because you had to flee apparently without result, but you'll get credit for an EA you shot down even if it crashes after you've left the scene. Get into the habit of noting the above and you won't be kicking yourself when the claim form pops up. :biggrin:

It's a pain in the azz but write your wingies names down before you takeoff, takes the guess work out of filling in the claim forms. Take heed of what Dej suggested about the rest of the info for the forms.

Have had very few denied if you follow his suggestions.

Hi, Luftace

Great you are a "real (campaign) pilot" now. But your choice - an Albatros D II - is out of date in August 1917.

There must be Camels already, and S.E.5s. The D III would be a much better fighter there (still tough against Camels).

So, if you should "die", try the D III then - it will be more successful.

Where are you stationed with Jasta 32?

Here's a chart, to check, which craft was available when - in WW1, development was very fast.

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=40522

Edited by Olham

I'll also add my "Welcome to the OFF campaigns", Luftace. It is a lot of fun and a real challenge to stay alive. And best take Olham's advice on that DII in the fall of '17. We Camel pilots are having those with our tea on a daily basis at that point. Mmmmm...roast Albatross and fresh biscuits. Tasty. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou