Sign in to follow this  
serverandenforcer

Star Trek XI

lol, the Final Frontier Countdown :blink:

For those who might be confused...this is an alternate history that basically started when ****** was forced back to the time of ***** * ****, destroying the ******. After that, everything is a new time track...everything. There was no time jumping after the initial appearance of the ******. The only time jumps were in the narration, which is why you see what you see at the end.

Man, I haven't seen the movie yet and I know the whole thing... :biggrin:

Frankly, I'm happy they went this way...it allows a whole universe of new stories without 'destroying' the old universe. And I really don't care about the diehard 'old' fans who think it's a travesty that the old universe has been abandoned...they've always got their DVDs if they want to revisit that universe. Paramount has succeeded...the majority of the old fans love the movie, and a bunch of new fans have been created. The franchise has been revitalized and brought into the 21st century.

This comes from an old fan from way back...welcome back Star Trek!

FC

In all honesty, I think they should've done a DS9 movie. Something about Sisko returning from the prophets and going on some kind of crusade or personal mission. That's just me.

I seriously thought at one point a certain act was going to be taken so that everything that had happened up to that point would have been corrected. That did not happen, and that's why I'm a bit disappointed.

To be honest, that's what completely shat me about the series from time to time. They'd come up with a great story or twist and give you the impression it would stick, only to hit the reset button at the end or the episode (or by part 2). I got dragged to this by my fiancée but really enjoyed it . But it was a lot of little changes that did it for me, things like ships meeting and NOT finding themselves meeting on the same level like on a 2D plane (plain?) (that always bugged me! B5 spcae was 3D! :tongue:), tiny things like the Fed ships having CIWS (look carefully during the first and last fights), swearing and fisticuffs. I could go on...

...and I will. :tongue: The swearing and attitudes the characters had was an important step, I thought. For me, I always thought the characters in the Next Gen Movies/series' were too inoffensive and sugar coated. I'd watch how they'd react to an event and it always seemed they their responses were a little fake or manicured. Look at the way they deal with the Borg in the Series. It's supposed to be the 'ultimate' fear they've faced, but they're hardly breaking a sweat, no one loses control, no one freaks out, no one's trying to make peace, etc.

That's why I dug this. The fighting, the smartarsed-ness, the quips and taunts all made it feel edgier and more realistic (behaviourally) to me. It's worth seeing for sure, but if you figure the storyline of TOS/TMP is akin to a sacred script, you'll be bugged.

Spoiler tags should work here.... [ spoiler ][ /spoiler]

They will leave a blacked out area, that you can highlight with your cursor to see what's behind it.

Like this text!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers~

The only way the movie could have been any better was if they snuck an F-14 in there somehow. :biggrin:

And EELS...

Hey come on...no spoilers.

Talk about insensitivity...hee-zoos guys. :dntknw:

What I said about the end is no spoiler...I didn't even get it right! :haha:

Did anybody but me notice that they added the Promixa Class from Star Trek legacy into the Fleet, making the ship Canon?

And since its a heavy Battlecrusier, it would be perfect for the mission to Vulcan.

For me, I was sitting there and waiting for the "big reset button". Actually a nice suprise to see that it did not happen.

I liked it.

Personally I would rather see a new Film with the TNG Crew. The Next Generation is my all time favourite

For those who might be confused...this is an alternate history that basically started when ****** was forced back to the time of ***** * ****, destroying the ******. After that, everything is a new time track...everything. There was no time jumping after the initial appearance of the ******. The only time jumps were in the narration, which is why you see what you see at the end.

Man, I haven't seen the movie yet and I know the whole thing... :biggrin:

Frankly, I'm happy they went this way...it allows a whole universe of new stories without 'destroying' the old universe. And I really don't care about the diehard 'old' fans who think it's a travesty that the old universe has been abandoned...they've always got their DVDs if they want to revisit that universe. Paramount has succeeded...the majority of the old fans love the movie, and a bunch of new fans have been created. The franchise has been revitalized and brought into the 21st century.

This comes from an old fan from way back...welcome back Star Trek!

FC

Well if everyone wants to get technical the whole time line was altered in Star Trek First Contact.

Saw it last Friday, and had mixed feelings. Kinda liked how the ships all looked a little worn and grubby, everything always seemed a bit sterile throughout the old movies and series.

Also I really really really want one of those self packing parachutes, would save me hours lol

Craig

Edited by fallenphoenix1986

I was expecting that they destroy the Enterprise.. like in every other Movie, it`s kind a tradition "destroying the enterprise"

Every other movie?

Lay off the crack pipe.

In the movies, the Enterprise has been destroyed twice.

ST III (the original Constitution class 1701)

ST Generations (the Galaxy class 1701D)

In all the other movies...it's been at most, just had the crap beat out of her...

FC

Well if everyone wants to get technical the whole time line was altered in Star Trek First Contact.

Actually, the timeline was altered, but it was restored by the end of ST:FC to the original 'history'.

As for the latest movie

the timeline is now considered permanently altered...the TOS/NG/DS9/VOY series and technically, ALL the previous movies, are now considered to have never happened in the new timeline.

FC

It was pretty kickass on IMAX.

The wife and I saw it last night. Very good, with more humour than I thought.

Karl Urban was uncannily close to DeForest Kelley's cantankerous Southern Dr McCoy - quite an achievement for an Australian!

And Uhura...short skirts are good!

As far as prices go, all I can say is--NEVER go after 6PM to a movie. NEVER. It's just a great way of throwing money down the drain. You get nothing over seeing the film in the afternoon.

I liked this film. The fact that this starts fresh without invalidating anything that came before is a smart way to go.

When Pine and Quinto and Nimoy showed up on SNL this weekend, I was very surprised. I was rolling when Nimoy called all the fans that hated the new film "dickheads."

Karl Urban was uncannily close to DeForest Kelley's cantankerous Southern Dr McCoy - quite an achievement for an Australian!

You mean quite an achievement for a Kiwi! Trying to get a thick Southern accent out of that think Kiwi accent must have been a real bastard to learn!

...and I'm with you about Uhura! :tongue:

Did anyone notice anything 'odd' about Simon Pegg and a certain Trek reference he made in his series Spaced?? :no::dntknw:

As another long-time Trekker I thought it was well worth seeing on the big screen. I may try to see it again on IMAX.

Did anyone notice anything 'odd' about Simon Pegg and a certain Trek reference he made in his series Spaced?? :no::dntknw:

Having just watched Spaced on DVD after its final release here I was quite amused!

I had seen this movie some hours ago and i loved it. Maybe that it is the starting point of a new movie serial so that some "continous problems" could be solved in the next part. I would like to see more of this young crew.

I agree if that "problem" isn't resolved in the next movie real Trek is dead.I thought the movie was good I liked most of the actors.Spock was dead on.The ship sucked.Looked Ghey outside and had the "Tardis" effect inside.Bridge was rather lame but the effects were about what you would expect.So my overall opinion was that as a stand alone movie it was above average but the general premis was ill thought out and full of holes. As one in a long line of trek movies it fell pretty short,although I must admit that in general the Trek movies were for the most part not great but there was a continuity.If I had not been a life long Trek fan I'd give the movie about a 6.5 to a 7.as a Trek fan I give it a solid 3.

Only saw this film the other day - really impressed though - some nice humour - amazing action and special effects - the bloke who played kirk was ace - and really loved the have a go fighting style he had haha!!

Even non trekkies like me loved it - cant be bad!!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I loved it!