Sign in to follow this  
Cornell

OFF with Headplay and TrackIr

Has anyone tried OFF with TrackIr and some sort of virtual goggles simutaneously? What was it like, and was it worth it?

hi cornell (chris cornell?)

welcome!

i play with trackir. can't imagine to play without (neither without pedals). never heard of anything like virtual goggles. for me the limited peripherical view because of the monitor is like having goggles.

Hi, Cornell

Perhaps you mean 3D-glasses? I had those years ago, for Combat Flight Simulator 2.

But I should think, the sim must be developed for this? Don't know.

Cornell, are you talking about a head mounted display? If so, no I haven't, but I've wanted to try one coupled with some sort of head tracking system since I first started playing Red Baron 3D almost ten years ago (before Track IR existed, AFIK). If the tracker could follow the player's head through its entire range of motion you could set it to a 1-1 ratio. Then with the HMD keeping the center of the screen directly in front of the player's eyes it would be almost perfect. Add one screen for each eye and parallax (sp?) compensating software and you'd have true depth perception. (I've been told that the depth perception has caused dizzyness and nausea when it was tested in HMD's. Something to do with the brain trying to make sense of the eye focussing on something near while the parallax angles are telling you that it's far away.)

If I were designing it, I'd want each screen to cover at least 90 degrees at normal magnification with the center of view being 20 degrees in from one side (left side for the right screen, right side for the left screen). That would give the player an overall field of view of 160 degrees with 40 degrees of depth perception. 160 degrees should be enough peripheral vision to satisfy even the most demanding gamer, and more than most people are normally conscious of. Unfortunately, the last time I checked (at least three years ago) they were going for several thousand dollars (US), and the resolution (800x600 max...and over $10,000) and sreen size (they wouldn't give fov in degrees, just some mumbo-jumbo about 'comparable to a X-size TV viewed from Y distance) were somewhat less than reassuring. Now if I hit the Powerball.........I'll let you know how it works. :yahoo:

Edited by von Baur