Sign in to follow this  
Bullethead

OT-Invisible Cockpit Cheat Now Reality

The F-35 is one hell of a jet, and if all those futuristic systems work as planned it's going to rule the skies anywhere. The next step must be to get rid of humans with their frail bodies and limited senses altogether and replace them with computer pilots.

I've never been a big fan of modern combat flight sims. There's just something about those WW1 and WW2 crates that's totally missing from modern era aircraft and their fancy radars, missiles, computers and whatnots. :yes:

Soon us simmers will be the only real fighter pilots left.

It's a dark and dirty business...but someone has to do it.

To Bullethead:

Bubba, if my life is on the line I want that. And I'm glad to see it'll be my countrymen who have it and not someone else's. Let's just pray that true prudence and excellent judgement is exercised before unleashing that dog.

It brings to mind a program I saw on the Military Channel about Top Ten fighter planes. They were discussing the F-22 and this one "expert" said that it costs too much money and the F-15 is already on inventory and has shown itself to be the deadliest fighter plane in history. My response is, "The F-15 is now the second deadliest fighter plane in history (maybe third, after seeing this :dntknw: )." In 5-on-1 matchups of F-15's to a lone F-22 the F-22 always came out on top, usually killing all five Eagles before any could even find the Raptor. Why should the US invest the money in these systems, the 'expert' asked? Because if we don't, someone else will.

To Hasse Wind:

With all these sensors to provide SA info, the need for human eyes onsite is growing less. This could be the final step needed to achieve remotely-piloted fighter aircraft on the battlefield. That means that our children (or grandchildren, in my case) may well fight any future wars (and I sincerely hope they aren't necessary) sitting at a console or a cockpit mockup in a protected bunker hundreds or thousands of miles from where the aircraft they are controlling are waging war. And playing these games may be excellent training for a career as a military pilot.

Of course, all technological advancement comes with potential risks. Rain had no effect on bows and arrows or clubs and swords, but when armies began relying too heavily on black powder weapons it became a major factor. The US built several fighter types without guns because modern air-to-air missile technology made upclose dogfighting "obsolete" :sorry: . Soldiers who are too dependant on GPS may struggle with maps and compasses if technology fails or is taken out by an intelligent enemy unless they keep their skills sharp. And likewise I hope that anyone who pilots this machine spends lots of time flying with all the gadgets turned off, just in case. :grandpa:

Aren't you forgetting this plane in your best plane assessment? :)

Also this article is relevant too. :)

I've never been a big fan of modern combat flight sims. There's just something about those WW1 and WW2 crates that's totally missing from modern era aircraft and their fancy radars, missiles, computers and whatnots. :yes:

That's what I meant when I said simmers would soon be the only real fighterpilots left. Sure, guys today get shot at, and the stuff that shoots at them is every bit as scary as the powers they command themselves. But even WW2 vets don't consider today's guys as actually doing "real" fighterpilot stuff, which has traditionally been defined as dogfighting.

ACM is a dying art, becoming less and less important every day. All these off-boresight weapons and missiles that can do U-turns to clear your 6 have seen to that. As this video says, "maneuverability is irrelevant". Today's air combat seems more like a naval battle than what we traditionally recognize as a dogfight. And in the not-too-distant future, there won't even be pilots in the cockpits, so then there really won't be any fighterpilots, "real" or otherwise. It'll just be us. Hell, maybe we'll get drafted to fly UAVs, given our decades of experience with that already :rofl:

I'm still trying to come to grips with that. It's hard to accept that flintknapping and being able to do ACM, skills about as far apart on the technology spectrum as it's possible to get, will soon be of equal practical value.

Dan, I certainly didn't mean to ignore the Eurofighter, and I'm sorry if it seemed that way. But in a way you prove my point of the necessity of getting planes like the F-22 and F-35 into the USAF inventory. The F-15 is an excellent plane and has an unmatched (and unbeatable) kill ratio, considering that none has ever been destroyed by air-to-air action. But it's yesterday's news, and to keep relying on it would be as foolish as Hitler's saying that the Me-109 and FW-190 were good enough and not developing the Me-262 into a pure fighter-interceptor from the start.

And to all you F-15 fanatics out there, don't take offense at the "yesterday's news" thing. It can still play an important role as an interceptor and ground attack aircraft, but it needs to step aside and give the air superiority job to the new generation of fighters. After all, you wouldn't want to take an E-III up against a N-17, let alone a Camel or SPAD, would you?

The F-35 is one hell of a jet, and if all those futuristic systems work as planned it's going to rule the skies anywhere. The next step must be to get rid of humans with their frail bodies and limited senses altogether and replace them with computer pilots.

It depends on what era of "Modern" aircraft you mean.

If you fly from the Korean war to the early 60s you don't exactly have much in the way of radars or missles. A lot of planes don't have radar and guns are usually the way to go.

One of my most vivid periods in sims was flying a French F-100 into battle in WOE. Radar? Nope, Missles? Unreliable, Guns? 4x20mm, Target aquisition system? MK1 eyeball.

Ended with 57 kills with missles responsible for maybe 8. The best way to go was the classic one. Get so close to your target that you can't miss. Hell, i went down 3 times due to running into the target i was shooting at.

I've always been into the WW1 action but never have had occasion to try one out. Perhaps First Eagles in the future unless i get a new system and i go to OFF. My current rig can barly handle the WO* series after i apply all the MODs.

If you fly from the Korean war to the early 60s you don't exactly have much in the way of radars or missles. A lot of planes don't have radar and guns are usually the way to go.

I agree with you, sir, even into the Arab-Israeli wars to at least 1967, perhaps 1973. I've flown a lot of Korean War jets in MP, and IMHO that's the most challenging era there ever was. The turn radii are so big compared to guns range, and it's so easy to black out, that it's next to impossible to get a shot off. You'd sign on for an extra tour in Hell just for a 1st generation rear-aspect heat-seeker. And then when you get those in the next decade or 2, things aren't much easier anyway because everybody's going that much faster. I'm amazed anybody in real life ever killed anything in those eras, except by catching people napping. Those were some REAL fighterpilots back then.

But Viet Nam is further away in time now than WW2 was when Viet Nam was being fought. So I can't really call that "modern" :).

I've always been into the WW1 action but never have had occasion to try one out. Perhaps First Eagles in the future unless i get a new system and i go to OFF. My current rig can barly handle the WO* series after i apply all the MODs.

You should really try OFF. It's worth a new system :biggrin:

Dan, I certainly didn't mean to ignore the Eurofighter, and I'm sorry if it seemed that way. But in a way you prove my point of the necessity of getting planes like the F-22 and F-35 into the USAF inventory. The F-15 is an excellent plane and has an unmatched (and unbeatable) kill ratio, considering that none has ever been destroyed by air-to-air action. But it's yesterday's news, and to keep relying on it would be as foolish as Hitler's saying that the Me-109 and FW-190 were good enough and not developing the Me-262 into a pure fighter-interceptor from the start.

And to all you F-15 fanatics out there, don't take offense at the "yesterday's news" thing. It can still play an important role as an interceptor and ground attack aircraft, but it needs to step aside and give the air superiority job to the new generation of fighters. After all, you wouldn't want to take an E-III up against a N-17, let alone a Camel or SPAD, would you?

Worry not. :smile:

I'm glad I helped to prove your point. :smile:

I agree with you, sir, even into the Arab-Israeli wars to at least 1967, perhaps 1973. I've flown a lot of Korean War jets in MP, and IMHO that's the most challenging era there ever was. The turn radii are so big compared to guns range, and it's so easy to black out, that it's next to impossible to get a shot off. You'd sign on for an extra tour in Hell just for a 1st generation rear-aspect heat-seeker. And then when you get those in the next decade or 2, things aren't much easier anyway because everybody's going that much faster. I'm amazed anybody in real life ever killed anything in those eras, except by catching people napping. Those were some REAL fighterpilots back then.

But Viet Nam is further away in time now than WW2 was when Viet Nam was being fought. So I can't really call that "modern" :).

You should really try OFF. It's worth a new system :biggrin:

A new rig is at least 6 months away. I have so many things going on at the moment that i can't even begin to even think of one.

The Korea MODs for the WO* series is something i'm going to do soon. I remember "Mig Alley" from years past but didn't have a system in those days. I've flown a bunch from the early 60s right on up to Desert Storm but have always wanted go deeper into the past (Can't count how many Vietnam tours!) but to go back to the beginning in 1915-16 is really going for it.

Before i forget,

anyone want a prop job in the "modern" era? You'll love the heck out of a an A-1 Skyraider.

Dan, I just noticed your signature. Another Blackadder fan, I see. I think my favorite exchange in that episode began, "Do you have any idea what it feel like to have the wind in your hair?" :lmaosmiley:

Dan, I just noticed your signature. Another Blackadder fan, I see. I think my favorite exchange in that episode began, "Do you have any idea what it feel like to have the wind in your hair?" :lmaosmiley:

I am indeed a big fan of Blackadder. :smile:

Yes that's a great quote too. :biggrin: