Sign in to follow this  
Winston DoRight

What are flares for?

I see them carried by some of the bombers. I see them deployed when I'm playing ETO (yes I'm taking a break from OFF). What is their purpose in the game and how were they used in reality? :dntknw:

For use when your machine gun jams:

"2nd Lt. Clive Wilson Warman, M.C., Gen. List and R.F.C.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. During two days, whilst operating under very difficult conditions in high wind and against strong hostile opposition, he destroyed three enemy machines and a balloon. He displayed the greatest dash and fearlessness in attacking an enemy aerodrome, and on one occasion, when separated from his patrol, and surrounded by 20 hostile machines, he fought his way through, although his machine gun was useless, by attacking them with his "Very" pistol; eventually regaining his own aerodrome with his machine much shot about. His wonderful coolness and courage have on all occasions been beyond praise."

It doesn't mention Warman also carried a hammer to unjam his machine gun. When it failed to clear his Vickers, he threw the hammer at the Germans, too.

Warman was an American flying a SPAD VII with the RFC and the only Yank to be awarded the DSO in WWI.

T

Edited by tttiger

He's not making that up!!!

Cheers,

shredward

to divert heatseeking missiles?

whoops! wrong forum. :biggrin:

Back in the day they were hip and fashionable and picking up groovy chicks with kohl eyeliner was far easier :wink:

What Warman did there, can be called "heroism" - or the desperate will to survive.

Wouldn't you do the same, when nothing else remains? I would!

And if I had a pistol, to shoot myself in case the crate caught fire, and there where six bullets

in there, I'd fire five of them at my opponents first.

And if I had a pistol, to shoot myself in case the crate caught fire, and there where six bullets in there, I'd fire five of them at my opponents first.

Go ahead and fire all 6. It's going to burning hot where you're going, so you might as well start getting used to it :rofl:

Great answer, Bullet. Like that attitude!

Well, flares can be used to make good fireworks. When I was in the army we had a great opportunity to get rid of some old flares - we fired quite a few of them up during one evening in the artillery range. And we even had permission from our company commander, so everything was done by the book. :biggrin:

But it is a mystery to me whether or not flares have any purpose in OFF, except to add to the immersion.

I see them carried by some of the bombers. I see them deployed when I'm playing ETO (yes I'm taking a break from OFF). What is their purpose in the game and how were they used in reality? :dntknw:

Not sure if they have a use in game but in reality they were used for issuing commands/warnings.

An example is their use during the confused series of fights in which Albert Ball lost his life. Cyril Crowe wrote that as he circled above Fresnoy he came across Ball, who was headed towards Lens. Crowe joined Ball and as they neared Loos, Ball fired 2 red flares in quick succession which Crowe states is the "signal for sighting enemy aircraft". Crowe couldn't see anything so followed Ball down and watched the start of the fight with LvR's Albatross.

When you use them in conjunction with the other keyboard commands they 'work' a treat.

For example..........to tell your wingman to attack, pop off a flare, press A, and check out your wingy........he'll signal back to you that he's going to have a go at the enemy by firing off a flare also.

That's because CFS3 was coded so that any fighter wingmen drop any bombs before they attack other aircraft, the flares are loaded up as bombs in the xdp, so before they attack they let one go..........for the purpose of immersion in OFF it's a great function.

What Warman did there, can be called "heroism" - or the desperate will to survive.

Wouldn't you do the same, when nothing else remains? I would!

And if I had a pistol, to shoot myself in case the crate caught fire, and there where six bullets

in there, I'd fire five of them at my opponents first.

Knowing my luck the sixth bullet would be a misfire!!!