Sign in to follow this  
Syrinx

Go Atlantis !

Just watching Atlantis launch live (STS-125). Never fails to impress.

This is the final servicing and upgrade mission to the Hubble Space telescope. Itself quite a landmark.

Yep, I always have to stop and watch it on TV when I can...always impressive. Hopefully this will all go well and be a final feather in the shuttle program's cap before they are retired next year.

We watched it too just before shift change over. Went smooth as glass.

Are the take offs broadcasted in CNN International or something?

Perhaps they want the Shuttles to stay in service a bit longer if crisis prevents NASA

to find a replacement

Btw: Syrinx and Column5, now that i see your sigs, Isn´t there a what if documentary about US civil war in wich

UK helped the Confederation so the USA becomes the CSA?

Btw: Syrinx and Column5, now that i see your sigs, Isn´t there a what if documentary about US civil war in wich

UK helped the Confederation so the USA becomes the CSA?

The UK was on the verge of throwing its support behind the Confederacy until Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation. Since England had outlawed slavery long before, it became politically impossible for them to support the pro-slavery side in the conflict. Let's all be glad it turned out that way!

Caught the launch in the break-room at work while I was making my lunch. Always fun. I'm jealous of my daughter. She got to see one in FL while she was doing her college internship.

Been a space-freak since the Mercury missions.

I've always been an enthusiastic space nut and am awe-struck every time a mission launches.

of course, I get to watch them on a little different kind of video display...........

:wink:

Last launch I saw from north florida, just after sunset. The two solid boosters fell off and they quickly burned out. Normally that would be the end of visual tracking of the boosters -- no more rocket plume. BUT THE TWO BOOSTERS still shined as they fell lower. They were reflecting western sunlight yet appeared against a darkening eastern sky. The sun was down where I was, but not at the altitude of booster seperation, even though the boosters were farther east over the ocean. As the boosters fell, they finally got low enough so the sun was below the horizon as seen from their height, and they went out of view first one, then the other shortly after -- slightly different rate of descent there. The *tiny* little plume of the shuttle liquid rocket of course was still visible continuing further away.

No combat flight sim yet has modelled the spherical Earth. This is a good example of what you would see if the Devs figured out how to model the air warfare environment. Granted, in this case, not much air combat at those altitudes except maybe B-70s and MiG-25s I guess. I dunno, what altitude do the boosters pop off?

Many, many miles. I forget exactly. This launch sucked from a local perspective...very hazy and lots of light cloud obscured the view. :sad:

Of course the feed on NASA TV looked 100x better!