Sign in to follow this  
Growler67

F-35 Demon Helmet

aside from the tech, they should have different styles that a pilot can choose from to suit thier preference, heck even have custom ones. only criticism is that im pretty sure that it can be turned on and off, but it should have a trasparent view that outlines objects in view and through the floor so you still have orientation of yourself and your plane while having the 360 view

Thats impressive - if it actually works will be like flying with the cockpit switched off and labels turned on - like a sim on easy haha.

The next version is in the pipeline already :)

tie_fighter_pilot.jpg

Funny you poasted the Tie fighter pilot helmet. My first immediate instinct thought was the alien Admiral commanding the Rebel fleet at the end of....forgot....3rd StarWars movie, that teddy bear planet, the one where Vader throws the emperor over the rail. That helmet ... lol heeh

I hope no pilot ever has to bailout, I can just see some farmer putting a load of buckshot into the pilot thinking the aliens had come to probe him! :biggrin:

No CL, but you could. :lol:

"The panorama inside the helmet effectively makes the F-35 completely invisible to the pilot."

That's not completely true. The DAS image is "blanked" where ever the MFD's are, so the pilot can still see them when the DAS video is up. There's a HOTAS switch to toggle the HMD's DAS video on/off if the pilot needs to see anything else in the cockpit.

I've worn the real helmet with the real HMD software running, and DAS video provided by their DAS simulator. It was very impressive.

They have the real DAS system flying on a lear jear now. The three current F-35's don't have the DAS cameras installed.

I hope no pilot ever has to bailout, I can just see some farmer putting a load of buckshot into the pilot thinking the aliens had come to probe him! :biggrin:

Actually, I'd be more concerned about all that crap snapping the neck of the pilot in the case of an ejection. That was a serious concern when we first started flying with NVGs.

FC

"The panorama inside the helmet effectively makes the F-35 completely invisible to the pilot."

That's not completely true. The DAS image is "blanked" where ever the MFD's are, so the pilot can still see them when the DAS video is up. There's a HOTAS switch to toggle the HMD's DAS video on/off if the pilot needs to see anything else in the cockpit.

I've worn the real helmet with the real HMD software running, and DAS video provided by their DAS simulator. It was very impressive.

They have the real DAS system flying on a lear jear now. The three current F-35's don't have the DAS cameras installed.

Cool, now we just need the custom designs

Whatta think this is, some sort of anime show?

Helmets are standardized because they are tested in various situations (including ejection). Any customization would be limited to paint schemes and proper fitting to your head. Otherwise, you're playing with your life.

Besides, do you know how EXPENSIVE helmets are? Just the basic helmet (not including things like JMCS, etc) can run into the five figures. That's because they are manufactured at 'medical' quality tolerances, materials, design, etc.

FC

yes i realize that, but you cant blame me too much, its not my fault they made it look like its out of some anime. and i was talking about paint and coloring over design, such as having a white helmet with blue tinted visor, or red helm and the standard black tint.

Edited by commander

Fugly ! Just partial towards the current US helms. Not saying that these aren't at the cutting edge tech wise.

Edited by Atreides

No CL, but you could. :lol:

Whew, Thanks Dave. I've been a little concerned about loosing that ability.

:ph34r: CL

Anybody else thinking of Master Chief from halo, dont play it like, ive got a ps3 lol

Sometimes, life does seem to mimic or even imitate art...

I think that a have seen it before...but where was it??? :haha::haha::haha:

Actually, I'd be more concerned about all that crap snapping the neck of the pilot in the case of an ejection. That was a serious concern when we first started flying with NVGs.

FC

the answer to that problem is from the world of F1 racing.

the HANS device.

why not make a modified version that handles not just lateral Gs but the vertical Gs from ejection, while providing full movement of pilot head.

Nope, a HANS device wouldn't work as it currently is formed.

The primary force during an ejection is compression, not lateral shearing.

Also, race drivers may look left and right, but for damn sure they're not looking straight up and back. A HANS device would be a huge hinderance to checking six. Hell, 'horse collar' PFDs are bad enough.

Better to shrink and lighten the equipment.

FC

OR...we could put the cockpits in a gyro-stabilized enclosure so the pilot always experiences G-forces in the same manner!

Instead of ejecting the pilot away from the plane, send the plane away from the pilot! If you need to eject on the ground then you would have to push the ground out of the way first though and we all know only Chuck Norris can do that.

Yes...yes...forget explosive bolts on the canopy and rockets on the seat...we'll just put explosive bolts over the ENTIRE plane with rockets at every juncture, and at ejection the plane will simply blow itself apart to leave the pilot sitting there in a chair hurtling thru the air at hundreds of knots!!

Hmmmm, "Break Away" aircraft. Could be something we would have to consult the French on engineering :yes:

Wouldn't that rather be called a "safe kamikaze" aircraft? :rofl: