238 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want more??

• Realistic Gaming
    • Graphics
    • Fun in the game
    • Expasion packs with more airplanes
    • Multiplayer feature
    • Other

Even without trees, the ground mesh needs some type of object to increase the lowloevel depth and sense of speed. Plain textures won't do it. Powerlines, secluded little cottages, fences, even clumps of grass, something has to be there.

Anyway, tunnel vision would be cool.

Indeed, I've tought of that too - it could be done with a modern shader effect as seen in recent car racing games where everything gets blurred except a small cone just ahead the car - this adds immensely the sense of speed.

for the terrain to look like more than a green and brown tarp, and maybe to supplement bushes and trees and such, perhaps you can use a bump mapped or normal mapped texture to give the earth a rocky appearance? perhaps some kind of 2d illusion painted in the terrain texture to give it a feel when your flying low that you could count the rocks and pebbles that are whizzing under you? heck, even a picture of grass could look awsome instead of rendering it in 3d. i think it would be interesting to have hydraulic fluid or oil seeping out of holes in the fuselage or wings when you get hit. hehe, and if you get hit in the gas tank have a trail of vapor or a trail of ignited fuel. as you can tell, i voted for graphics.

Realistic Gaming for me (this option is easily winning the voting).

Edited by finiteless

Giving the 3d modeler the opportunity to add there creation to the game. I think this will make the game last for a long time and be more interesting. :clapping:

Ok... Well... I dont have to say that I voted for Realistic Gaming, but I just wanted to state that I would like to see this combined with good grafics! I'm seeing the screenshots and till now you've got me realy convinced that the releese of this sim will be a grate hit!

Again, thanks for the good work!

graphics.

yes these look quite good and will get better. There are some important lacking things still yet to finish hopefull in next couple of months - things like terrain features. I think we've got grass done very well - but we need also to be able to do roads and buildings and things like that.

edit

oh yeah, we've got experimental roads though - tile based approach, but it looks like of like.. ..a tile based a approach. a bit falconish - not the sort of look we'd been wanting, instead we will be doing draping roads in some way.

Edited by scary_pigeon

Yeah... Tornado was really great regarding planning flight. In fact, there was other points I liked in DI's games (Combat Pilot, Hind,...) that could be implemented and even improved:

-ability to taxi from and to shelter (with doors working and activity in it)

-quite complete and realistic GCA routines (with radio ambiance for full immersion)

-ability to fly pilot/WSO in MP cooperative missions (means MP must be optimum)

I also like the F22-ADF ACMI system was really awesome, far better than Falcon's one.

Still with this game but not a priority in Falklands theater: interactive AWACS control. A good radar control dialog interface would be great.

IMHO, EECH had the best dynamic campaign system, with ability to capture enemy fields by destroying fuel reserves and ground support facilities/units while supporting friendly troops surrounding them. This allowed player to fly both enemy and friendly planes in the same campaign with interesting Havoc/Havoc or Comanche/Comanche fights... (EuroFighter dyn.camp. was quite cool too but EECH one was more intuitive to me)

So many good ideas scattered on many sims but never compiled all in one... great challenge! :)

I'd love to see self casting shadows on the aircraft. (Like Lockons) This adds so much to the graphics. It's probably a very difficult thing to do, but if it was implemented, it would add a lot more immersion in the looks of things. I'd also like to see total explosions of aircraft (Aircraft that explode when hit in a certain way) The pilot should die instantly and the aircraft just fall apart into balls of flame. Would be very cool :) Have you guys ever thought about helicopters?? Maybe...

I saw the bomb models, so I'm hoping the "ground pounder" version of the Harrier will make a flyable appearance??

If it does, have you given any thought to like a dynamic AI FAC for CAS missions(that enuff acronyms?). I enjoy flying the planes in BF 1942 as a change of pace and the lack of "real-time" guidance for the placement of ordnance keeps them from being truly effective for more than about 2 passes over a target.

Oh, and I voted for realism because I think that's where all the fun stems from in a flight sim. :tomato:

Hi all

I would like to add one thing to these great ideas.

Animated clouds. Has anyone thought of that, you know where the plane ahead of you makes swirls when flying through clouds. If this was possible it would add to realism of athmosphere.

I think clouds are generally too static in Flightsims currently, they need more life.

This is probably hard to implement.

Animated clouds. Has anyone thought of that, you know where the plane ahead of you makes swirls when flying through clouds. If this was possible it would add to realism of athmosphere.

This is probably hard to implement.

Yeah, that would be extremly hard to implement. Also, it doesn't really happen in real life, at least not where anyone can see it. Now, it does happen with contrails, which I agree would look cool, but again, too hard to implement.

http://photos.airliners.net/bd7680ff1cee8a.../8/0/239080.jpg

Hi

Yeah cloud effects if applicable would just be a bonus :)

Seems most people agree on realism, that´s good.

Graphic beauty is expected too.

I would like to see damage affecting the way the aircraft flies, nicely done in IL-2-PF.

Uneven weapons loadout/aircraft beahaviour after dropping of ordnance.

How about being able to enter/leave cockpit ? That could be, like, scripted, short animation, or a free walk around the pad/hangar/airfield ?

Being able to walk around aircraft after mission end and/or before ?

Well there are so many things that one would like, lucky for you I am not a pilot so I don´t know all procedures around combat aircraft, else this list could get very long.

As someone pointed out above; weather effects.

Ground detail, city/traffic lights at night ! I personally would piss my pants if I could see cars driving at night on a highway below, while looking outside the cockpit.

Ok. I better stop now :)

Good Luck with Jet Thunder and don´t rush it. I know you will do it right.

I remember the Falklands war vaguely, I was 11-12 years old and the news almost made it seem like the end of the world. Those were scary times before the end of the cold war !

yamit

Iceland

Well, for me, one thing that would be really nice, is a clickable cockpit, just like Falcon or even FS9 virtual cockpit. LockOn have some visually beautiful cockpits, but (IMHO) it's easier to click somewhere than to remember the Alt+Ctrl+Shift+F12+PageUp to select an emergency flap. It's like having a hand inside the game... :)

A very cool feature that I would love to see implemented in the game is voice commands (speech recognition) to command your wingman or your whole flight.

It is being done in Dangerous Waters, a submarine simulation, and some folks are using the Shoot utility to do the same thing in Silent Hunter III (another sub simulation).

Of course, you could always use Shoot with Jet Thunder if you create the profile file (it's an xml file, I think) but it would save us all the trouble if voice commands are already included within the game for anyone who has a microphone and likes the realism of giving orders verbally instead of hitting the keyboard. :)

What do you think? :blink:

I have another question, its possible to see in the ground the infantry movement?; because the IA-58 Pucara, in the conflict, ever flying at very low altitude.

Saludos!

I have another question, its possible to see in the ground the infantry movement?; because the IA-58 Pucara, in the conflict, ever flying at very low altitude.

Saludos!

Yes, as we there were pratically no armoured vehicles in that conflict, the main mobile ground targets are troops, and we will model them.

A very cool feature that I would love to see implemented in the game is voice commands (speech recognition) to command your wingman or your whole flight.

It is being done in Dangerous Waters, a submarine simulation, and some folks are using the Shoot utility to do the same thing in Silent Hunter III (another sub simulation).

Of course, you could always use Shoot with Jet Thunder if you create the profile file (it's an xml file, I think) but it would save us all the trouble if voice commands are already included within the game for anyone who has a microphone and likes the realism of giving orders verbally instead of hitting the keyboard.  :)

What do you think?  :blink:

This sounds good :) I have to check it closely.

I seen many a game not played because they was just to real. Any pilot will tell you flight is rather boring, aside from the take off and landing. Just think of how much combat a normal sim has per mission, vrs real life. this is alway a bit esscesive, but needed to prevent the game to be dreadfuly boring. To me the funnest game ive played was janes FA, a completely unrealistic game. But endlessly replayable.

BTW i'm new here, and im a coder mysefve, ive been coden with darkbasic, but now ive moved upto c++. i fuond this site because, i was working on my own flight sim, and ild admit this one completely humbles me. Welcome me aboard, i plan to be hanging aruond for a bit.

I just love how you guys picked the folkland wars, THIS was exactly the timeline i was after, this or a veitnam, but vietnam was a bit more common. i think the folkland war was very well balanced. also; i like the tech level. so many sim today are utra-modren. missles have to far range and too damn easy to fire to get your kill.In this timeline, your needed skill to get a missle kill. even the sarhs was very hard to fire. make many battles a battle of guns and pilot skill of manuvering.

one thing i want to see is heli operations, if the gruond deatil is nice with fair amount of foilage, it wuold be very exciting to do some troop drops from heli's. as other aircraft sopport us.

Burp~!

They're all equally important to me and I cannot vote for one part. Let's face it, if they screw up on any of these options, it'll be bad for the sim.

I just love how you guys picked the folkland wars, THIS was exactly the timeline i was after,  this or a veitnam,  but vietnam was a bit more common. i think the folkland war was very well balanced. also; i like the tech level. so many sim today are utra-modren. missles have to far range and  too damn easy to fire to get your kill.In this timeline, your needed skill to get a missle kill.  even the sarhs was very hard to fire. make many battles a battle of guns and pilot skill of manuvering.

SARH Missiles weren't used, It was the Sidewinder (9L I think) and guns only. The Radar was only good for 20 miles if you were on Hermes, and 10 if Invincible (ships may be the other way around). The reason for the disparity in ranges was purely political. Read 'Sea Harrier over the Falklands, by Sharky Ward' Who was boss on Hermes (or invincible - lol my memory is more shot than a jap zero taking on a carrier).

This is my list of what I require in a sim, in order:

STABILITY:

Do NOT release a buggy product. Honestly, if you're the kind of developer that's going to fall back on excuses like "We haven't even had a chance to patch it yet!" do us all a favor and just scrap the project. Plan your release date when it's a stable product, not "when you think it's done well enough". Don't hand out a release date before you know when this will be. Yes, there are always unforseen problems. Well, get past that point, THEN release it. Forget releasing demos, forget the damn kids posting in the forums about it taking forever, and just do the sim RIGHT. Got it?

If you want beta testing done by real users, do it privately. And for chrissake, do not release any code until the sim is dead and buried in history.

EASE OF USE:

Please, take a page from the Eagle Dynamic's Bible of How to F*** Up a Sim. DO NOT make the damn specs of the game absurd. People who *really* play simulators don't give a damn about shadows and pixel lighting and all of that crap. They play it for the incredibly dynamic experience that is air combat and they play it to win. Honestly, the market is so full of crap I'd play an accurate wire-frame DOS game over the fancy garbage being peddled out there now.

You know what made Novalogic's sims so successful (even though they moved on to more profitable FPS shooters)? They concentrated on making the game friendly instead of the latest this-and-that nonsense. You could play that game all day on 56k and not have a hiccup. You could run it off of your crappy built-in graphics card and be able to play it just fine.

Now I'm not saying it should run on a 200hmz computer. I'm saying determine a reasonable present-day level of performance RIGHT NOW where someone with say...a 2 gigahertz computer and 512mb of RAM can see EVERYTHING. DO NOT MAKE COMPUTER PERFORMANCE AN ISSUE WITH REGARD TO COMPETENCE IN THE GAME. The game should look the exact same way at that reasonable level as it does for someone with a Cray supercomputer, except for aspects not related to proficiency in the game.

Examples:

Shadows on plane look better ---FINE

Can't see smoke trails of missiles as far away as someone with the new 900XT Super Ultra Turbo Hyper graphics card ---NOT FINE

Explosions look more voluminous and exagerrated with said 900XT card ---FINE

Same explosions bring FPS to a screeching halt and make further runs on the same target almost impossible without 900XT card ---NOT FINE

Detail on buildings better with 900XT ---FINE

Can't see buildings at all until you're .5 KM and then pop up out of thin air without 900XT ---NOT FINE

Got it? Good. Bear with me...

MULTIPLAYER:

This deserves it's own category seperate from stability because it's a huge one. Let's face it, no matter how hard or interesting you guys make the campaigns that come with the game, we find them boring after...oh...five minutes before we log online to kill something. Now, I want you to download Hyperlobby at hyperfighter.sk and take a good, long look at that interface. Would you wish your worst enemy to have to deal with that interface? Can you find anything on this earth more boring than that to look at?

Here's the deal: make the multiplayer a fun, easy-on-the-eyes and easy-on-the-brain place to get together. Don't make it a project to find out how to connect, IM people, or hold a private conference. Have the basic information of the games being played displayed for all to see before they join. Don't make me guess whether or not people are flying biplanes or migs, and make the server rules able to be enforced from BY THE SERVER.

DYNAMIC MISSION EDITOR:

Believe it or not, we don't enjoy finding creative ways to hide targets inside building textures so the players can't go off and destroy the targets before the story behind the mission we planned over the course of three hours even has the chance to occur. I think that about says it all.

SOUND:

Sound is huge. If I don't feel like I'm standing there with my camera waiting to take a pic of a Harrier about to blast past me and enjoy the whoosh and thunder of the engines during a replay, the experience doesn't excite me. One of the few things LOMAC got right.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whew. Well, that's about it. Take it for what it's worth.